Fanatec McLaren GT3 wheel is back

Fanatec just released a new version of the McLaren GT3 Wheel.
Price is not too expensive for a Fanatec product. It is currently open for pre-order and delivery should be around mid or end of january 2021.

If you're not kind of the future BMW GT3 wheel, this McLaren GT3 V2 seems a better alternative.
One noticeable new feature -> magnetic shifters !

1608245810231.png

Having already repurposed G29 pedals to use with an AccuForce wheel base,
I contemplated also adapting its steering wheel for formula and sports racing,
but might be money ahead buying used pedals and flogging a complete G29
and instead adapting this for 70mm bolt circle and Bluetooth..

Upvote 0
Fanatec just released a new version of the McLaren GT3 Wheel.
Price is not too expensive for a Fanatec product. It is currently open for pre-order and delivery should be around mid or end of january 2021.

If you're not kind of the future BMW GT3 wheel, this McLaren GT3 V2 seems a better alternative.
One noticeable new feature -> magnetic shifters !

View attachment 427835
Actually it’s available now.
The initial stock in Australia and US sold out so now it says preorder for January 21st.
But I ordered mine as soon as the site went live and it’s already warehouse processing and will be shipped before Christmas.
Japan’s Fanatec page still shows “available now” because they allocate by region.

Upvote 0
Actually it’s available now.
Received email today from no-reply@fanatec.com:
"Our internal inventory at the end of the year
has impacted the timely shipment of orders."

Perhaps that made sense before translating from German?
"They (FedEx) have been working above capacity for some time already."
Giving 110%?
"These circumstances only affect your order
if your purchase did not include an item on pre-order."

.. so this may have been emailed to any/all customers with pending orders;
a pre-ordered McLaren GT3 was my only item.

Long (45 years) ago, I wrote a computer program to automatically generate documents.
I'd like to believe results were at least a bit more useful and to the point.

Upvote 0
Received email today from no-reply@fanatec.com:
"Our internal inventory at the end of the year
has impacted the timely shipment of orders."

Perhaps that made sense before translating from German?
"They (FedEx) have been working above capacity for some time already."
Giving 110%?
"These circumstances only affect your order
if your purchase did not include an item on pre-order."

.. so this may have been emailed to any/all customers with pending orders;
a pre-ordered McLaren GT3 was my only item.

Long (45 years) ago, I wrote a computer program to automatically generate documents.
I'd like to believe results were at least a bit more useful and to the point.
I also received this email. I wasn't sure what it ment. So the order will be delayed?

Upvote 0
Theres been a few translations of that email doing the rounds. Basically for US orders, FedEx have been unable to keep up with collection/deliveries due to Covid and its slowing down orders getting to people.

Upvote 0
BTW I've had mine for a couple weeks now. I used it a bit while testing out a PS4 CSL Elite that I'm reselling here in Japan.
The shifters feel stiff, but not Advanced Paddle Module stiff. They're better than standard Fanatec shifters, but they definitely still feel a little "cheap.
I can tell by the actuation noise that they're using tactile switches instead of the dome switch they used in the V1.

Buttons feel good, definitely ClubSport quality buttons and not mushy like the CSL P1 buttons.
The clutch paddles definitely feel cheap in materials. If someone made drop in aluminum replacements, they'd sell crazy.

The new CSL "quick release" is pretty solid. I'm confident it could handle 20 Nm of torque. If I end up selling my SC2 Pro and going back to Fanatec, I'd definitely prefer this wheel over a Formula V2 because of the width. This feels WAY better for GT3. I wish they made a ClubSport wheel this width that's open wheel. I have no idea why they have three versions of the formula wheel that are all 27 cm.

This is definitely an insane value at $199. Even if you have to buy the CS adapter to unlock full torque in a DD1, you're still getting a crazy value at $300 for a GT3 open wheel with clutch paddles and magnetic shifters and 2 rotary encoders + funky switch. If Simon figures out how to convert this to USB, wheel makers like Martin Ascher and Cube Controls will have to drop their prices or this wheel + USB adapter will be the most popular wheel under $500 for years.

Upvote 0
Received mine today and I gotta say the look and feel is pretty amazing for 200€.
If only it was working. I've installed the newest Drivers and flashed the firmware. The wheel does get recognized by the Fanatec Wheel property software, but none of the Buttons and switches yield any response.

Upvote 0
What mode does your wheelbase go with that wheel? It can go xbox mode default, so you need to change that.

Instructions are in the manual, random combination of buttons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Received mine today and I gotta say the look and feel is pretty amazing for 200€.
If only it was working. I've installed the newest Drivers and flashed the firmware. The wheel does get recognized by the Fanatec Wheel property software, but none of the Buttons and switches yield any response.
Is the wheel fully installed on the wheelbase?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 133 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 71 7.0%