Fanatec McLaren GT3 rim problems...

Hey guys,

Anyone having problems with their newly released McLaren GT3 rim? I am having the clutch paddles drop out on me after a random amount of time. Upon plugging the rim into the base (I use an OSW with the Fanatec wheel base side conversion kit with the newly flashed firmware to operate the GT3 rim) everything is recognized, map-able and works fine. After a while driving, the clutch paddles just drop out and become unusable. I've had the gear paddles drop out once or twice but it's the clutch paddles that do it pretty much every session. Sometimes after 20 minutes, sometimes after a couple of minutes. I've contacted both Fanatec and Simracingmachines.com where I got the conversion kit from in a hope to get to the bottom of it. Just wondering if anyone else is having drama with it.

When you first plug it in, everything is recognized so their shouldn't be a problem with compatibility. Just a reliability thing now.

It seem they know the problem now cause they give me RMA(repair) after 2 questions (have you last 311 drivers and are the others buttons, screen works?).
I have miss shifting, miss downshifting and double downshifting after 1 week (mclaren with quick release).

Upvote 0
Do you have the latest firmware installed on the rim? I wouldn't worry about anything unless you have upgraded the firmware on the rim to the latest possible version. It makes a difference.

Upvote 0
It seem they know the problem now cause they give me RMA(repair) after 2 questions (have you last 311 drivers and are the others buttons, screen works?).
I have miss shifting, miss downshifting and double downshifting after 1 week (mclaren with quick release).

Thanks for your info.

My paddles stopped working yesterday as well (using quick release). Other buttons are working. I have contacted Fanatec and they said they will replace the wheel now. I did a factory reset and flashed the latest firmware but this seems to be a technical/hardware issue. I am curious and afraid if the repaired or new wheel will have the same issue. I'll let you know.

Upvote 0
Do you have the latest firmware installed on the rim? I wouldn't worry about anything unless you have upgraded the firmware on the rim to the latest possible version. It makes a difference.
Yes i have latest drivers and firmware(311 firm 475 firm wheel 25).
Before sending the wheel to RMA i make a reinstall of drivers but nothing change (still miss shifting.....).
But now for about 4 days (4 sessions 1H PC2, AC) the problem is gone.

Upvote 0
Has anyone bought the GT3 with the quick release (https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/steering-wheels/csl-elite-mclaren-gt3-csqr-usa.html) and had any issues? I really like this rim but the issues I’m reading about really is turning me off.
I know this is an old question but I thought I should answer regardless as there may be other people considering this rim. I am on my 3rd wheel now, all have been used with the quick release and all, including the most recent one have developed the same issue. Miss shifting or double shifting. I am going to get this one collected as well as it is just as bed as the first one. I can't believe they are still selling it

Upvote 0
So, an update: been trying to figure this out on my own since I live almost halfway around the world from Fanatec. I did open it up eventually and the shifter's pad was pretty much centered and the tape holding it down was pretty secure too. I did lift up one corner of the tape, moved the pad slightly and then put the tape back down and closed it up, but honestly, I don't think it needed moving.

Note to anyone trying to get to the underside: You have to remove the OLED display as well...the screen and the support arms that hold it up seem pretty delicate so be careful.

It worked well after that, so I thought moving the pad was the fix, until last week when It died again mid race. I restarted the wheel base and it was still dead. Removed the wheel and then reattached without doing anything else: shifter worked perfectly after that. I'm thinking the connection between wheel and base (the pins) wasn't solid, so I used the fastening bolt, even though I'm using the metal QR. Haven't had a dropout since. Then I stumbled upon this thread from 2 weeks ago which talks about possible loose bolts on the wheelbase and the steering wheel:

https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...ection-issues-with-fanatec-csw-solved.161473/

I disconnected my wheel and surely enough one of the bolts on the Mclaren wheel wasn't tight compared to the others (Mine was the bottom left bolt). My current test will be with the fastening bolt attached after I've tightened all the other bolts at the connection point. If it drops out after this, then I don't know what it could be. I'm giving it until February (when the new pre-ordered F1 wheel arrives) to see if it'll hold up until then. Stay tuned...

Have you had any further problems?

Upvote 0
Have you had any further problems?

Nope no more problems. I use the fastening bolt every time, which is a 20 second hassle to install/remove each time, but the shifting hasn't failed since my last report.

I'm planning on getting the new formula rim with the advanced paddle module when it's released. After I get that I'll send the Mclaren back to be fixed...I really like GT3/GTE/open wheel racing so I don't want to be without that type of wheel for too long.

Did you ever try using the fastening bolt, or did you try tightening the bolts on the wheel and the wheel base? How long ago did you send wheel #2 back? If it was this month then maybe they haven't found a solution as yet :unsure:

Upvote 0
Nope no more problems. I use the fastening bolt every time, which is a 20 second hassle to install/remove each time, but the shifting hasn't failed since my last report.

I'm planning on getting the new formula rim with the advanced paddle module when it's released. After I get that I'll send the Mclaren back to be fixed...I really like GT3/GTE/open wheel racing so I don't want to be without that type of wheel for too long.

Did you ever try using the fastening bolt, or did you try tightening the bolts on the wheel and the wheel base? How long ago did you send wheel #2 back? If it was this month then maybe they haven't found a solution as yet :unsure:
Yeah, I tried both the fastening bolt and tightening the screws and nothing has worked.
They have just emailed me to say that they now think that it must be my wheel base. They are clutching at straws they've claimed to know what the problem is repeatedly and it's never right.

There is obviously something seriously wrong with the product but they are still selling it. Worse thing is, there are people on forums from all over the world that are saying they have the same problems but it is not finacial worth it to pay to return it back to fanatec.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I tried both the fastening bolt and tightening the screws and nothing has worked.
They have just emailed me to say that they now think that it must be my wheel base. They are clutching at straws they've claimed to know what the problem is repeatedly and it's never right.

There is obviously something seriously wrong with the product but they are still selling it. Worse thing is, there are people on forums from all over the world that are saying they have the same problems but it is not finacial worth it to pay to return it back to fanatec.

Sorry those solutions didn't help...yea, honestly I do think there's something defective in the design that they're not admitting to. Maybe they've corrected it in the latest batches...who knows. At this point maybe you could ask them to exchange it for a different product (and you cover the difference in price)?

Upvote 0
My new wheel just started this after a week of usage. It seems strange that this was happening a lot after only a relatively short space of time to many people. After trying various things i started wondering how soft the metal was on the shifters and discovered by careful manipulation that the metal is indeed quite malleable. It is possible that pressure over several hundred/ thousand presses could bend the rocker inwards and shorten the activation gap and cause misreads. I bent both sides very slightly away from the body of the wheel, thereby proving how easily bent it was and my problem disappeared. Fearful that this may happen again in the future, i have started using the shoulder of the rocker instead. I'm lucky in this respect as i have large hands. It's a bit weird but i think i can get used to it, others mightn't be so lucky. Of course this could all be coincidence but it could also be a silly design fault in using a weak metal. If anyone tries this and cocks up, please don't blame me.

Upvote 0
Hmm. I don't use mine exclusively so I am yet to see degradation. I have no idea. Can you wrap it in something? Some people wrap their rims to make them slightly thicker. You could do the same where you grip but for a different purpose.

Upvote 0
hello and happy new year. has there been any news on this issue described by the op? ive stripped and tested my macca and im getting a spike from the left paddle even when i completely remove the connector from the board.....any ideas or advice? warranty is well and truly dead.
thanks , phil

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 89 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 334 28.2%