Fanatec McLaren GT3 rim problems...

Hey guys,

Anyone having problems with their newly released McLaren GT3 rim? I am having the clutch paddles drop out on me after a random amount of time. Upon plugging the rim into the base (I use an OSW with the Fanatec wheel base side conversion kit with the newly flashed firmware to operate the GT3 rim) everything is recognized, map-able and works fine. After a while driving, the clutch paddles just drop out and become unusable. I've had the gear paddles drop out once or twice but it's the clutch paddles that do it pretty much every session. Sometimes after 20 minutes, sometimes after a couple of minutes. I've contacted both Fanatec and Simracingmachines.com where I got the conversion kit from in a hope to get to the bottom of it. Just wondering if anyone else is having drama with it.

When you first plug it in, everything is recognized so their shouldn't be a problem with compatibility. Just a reliability thing now.

Hi DomB

any news on the Serial numbers affected?? Considering you have stopped selling the standard rim kind of seems like its more than just a small batch.

will fanatec be contacting customers with the out of spec rims?
I contacted live support and was pretty unhelpful, just kept trying to sell me a discounted QR system.

Shouldn't all owners that brought this rim be offered a free quick release system instead of fanatec hoping the pins dont break and if fanatec refuse to offer free QR, once the new improved standard rims get rereleased will you be offering customers to replace them free of charge.
Hi daw182. We can't determine exactly which units have been affected, which is why we've made this temporary adjustment to the webshop. But it is easy to perform a visual check if your unit has a problem, and this is something that our support team would be able to assist you with. We will repair any failed simplified QRs, and continue to offer a discount on the ClubSport Quick Release Adapter for affected users, even after the current promotion is over. Anyone concerned about their unit should get in touch with our support team. I recommend that all users of the simplified QR (including those on other wheels like the P1) should regularly check the securing screw.

What adjustments were made? Is it safe for me to buy the McLaren wheel that is currently on the USA website? Does the one on the USA website have the all metal quick release??
Currently we are only offering it as a discounted bundle with the ClubSport Quick Release in all regions. The unit will still be sent with the simplified QR attached (you need to install the CS QRA yourself).

I will say, if you have an issue with a Fanatec product, either call them or use the live chat on their site. It's much quicker and easier than emailing back and forth.
I would recommend the live chat system over using the phone, as the phone system is only active for a short period each day (and only week days), whereas the Live Chat system is available for at least 10 hours each day, including weekends.

What's annoyed me in the past with Fanatec failures has been the automatic 'send us a video of the problem' response no matter what the issue is, and even for problems that were impossible to show on video. Many years ago my Porsche 911 GT2 wheel and shifters both developed problems and at the time I had NO means of recording video and told Fanatec this, not that video would have shown a non-working paddle shifter or a non-engaging h-pattern anyway. Fanatec wouldn't budge and I couldn't help thinking (rightly or wrongly) that Fanatec were just asking for videos to make it awkward for the consumer in the hope that it would be too much bother and the claim wouldn't be pursued, or as some form of 'proof' in case the consumer was lying, which would be pretty insulting. I think in the end I gave up after correspondence tennis with Fanatec support and had to eventually junk the wheel and the shifter.

Do they still insist on videos being recorded and sent before they'll do anything?
It is certainly not to make it awkward, Mascot. Requesting a video is for the benefit of both parties; it allows us create the RMA for the right reasons, and it ensures that the customer is not sending in a unit unnecessarily. However the support team will never 'insist' that a video is provided before we do anything. If the customer says that they can't show the issue on a video, we will have the unit sent in.

Upvote 0
It is certainly not to make it awkward, Mascot. Requesting a video is for the benefit of both parties; it allows us create the RMA for the right reasons, and it ensures that the customer is not sending in a unit unnecessarily. However the support team will never 'insist' that a video is provided before we do anything. If the customer says that they can't show the issue on a video, we will have the unit sent in.
Thing have hopefully changed for the better then, but that certainly wasn't my experience all those years ago. I was getting told I HAD to send a video in before any help would be offered, even after I explained that a video was hard to take and wouldn't even show the problem. If I buy a toaster and it develops a fault, Currys don't insist that I make a film about it before taking my claim further. A video might well be a good idea to show the fault in some cases, but back then Fanatec were entirely inflexible and basically told me that they wouldn't help in any way until I'd jumped through that particular hoop for them, no matter how pointless the exercise would be or how badly it inconvenienced me. Like I said, this was a long time ago so hopefully they aren't so insistent and are far more pragmatic now. It did give me pause before buying any more Fanatec equipment, but I didn't really like the alternatives on offer. I'm very happy with my current suite of Fanatec gear but based on previous experience I'd be lying if I said I don't dread something going wrong with any of it.

Upvote 0
Thing have hopefully changed for the better then, but that certainly wasn't my experience all those years ago. I was getting told I HAD to send a video in before any help would be offered, even after I explained that a video was hard to take and wouldn't even show the problem. If I buy a toaster and it develops a fault, Currys don't insist that I make a film about it before taking my claim further. A video might well be a good idea to show the fault in some cases, but back then Fanatec were entirely inflexible and basically told me that they wouldn't help in any way until I'd jumped through that particular hoop for them, no matter how pointless the exercise would be or how badly it inconvenienced me. Like I said, this was a long time ago so hopefully they aren't so insistent and are far more pragmatic now. It did give me pause before buying any more Fanatec equipment, but I didn't really like the alternatives on offer. I'm very happy with my current suite of Fanatec gear but based on previous experience I'd be lying if I said I don't dread something going wrong with any of it.

Personally I can see the benefit of sending a video, whilst I understand your frustration a video takes the needs to explain it over the phone or text. As someone who works in a tech based industry, when we have struggled to understand the problem a video has been used, to great benefit I must say.

Also, unlike Currys Fanatec are not up and down the UK and I can drive to a store 10 minutes away, not a fair comparison as they are different business models.

Upvote 0
Personally I can see the benefit of sending a video, whilst I understand your frustration a video takes the needs to explain it over the phone or text. As someone who works in a tech based industry, when we have struggled to understand the problem a video has been used, to great benefit I must say.

Also, unlike Currys Fanatec are not up and down the UK and I can drive to a store 10 minutes away, not a fair comparison as they are different business models.
I don't think you're getting my point. It's the blanket 'send a video' one-size-fits-all response that I had an issue with. Sending a video in might well be an excellent idea to demonstrate certain complex faults, but a video of a paddle shifter being operated without actually changing gear is completely pointless. It would show nothing. The Fanatec rep understood the problem exactly yet still insisted on a video, saying it was their policy. It was an utterly pointless exercise.

Upvote 0
what about the double shifts amd mishifts on the upshift paddle?

I experienced these on my GT3 rim. Once I updated the firmware to the latest version (Fanatec had to do it for me as I don't have a Fanatec wheel base available) the gear shifts have been pretty much perfect as have the clutch paddles. They were the main reason for the firmware update as I was informed that fixed the issue for other people not running Fanatec wheel bases. I suggest making sure you have updated firmware if you are experiencing these issues. My rim has been great since.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys,

New to the thread however I have recently been plagued by the issue of "double shifts and/or missing shifts". I just bought a v2.5 base and the McLaren GT3 Rim and it was perfect until last night. I have tried everything I know how to do with the drivers and firmware (uninstalling, reinstalling) I have used the 3.11 Beta, 3.12 Beta, and 3.14 Beta firmware updated to no avail.

Really hoping I can have this issue resolved before Petite on October 6th. I saw the above mentioned mechanical issue however would that not only mean missing shifts and not double shifting?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Thing have hopefully changed for the better then, but that certainly wasn't my experience all those years ago. I was getting told I HAD to send a video in before any help would be offered, even after I explained that a video was hard to take and wouldn't even show the problem.

Don't doubt you at all, but in January of this year, when I contacted them, they clearly stated the video was not required. In my case I was able to supply one, but their support team did not require it of me. So in my case, I believe they have changed for the better.

Upvote 0
Don't doubt you at all, but in January of this year, when I contacted them, they clearly stated the video was not required. In my case I was able to supply one, but their support team did not require it of me. So in my case, I believe they have changed for the better.
That's good to hear! Progress.

Upvote 0
Read something elsewhere earlier today where someone reckons it is an internal issue with a component and he can prove it.

Was that the post from Simon who owns SRM, on Iracing ?
He showed how the contact/pad for paddles is able to move from its position/contacts over a short time so creating the issue, he fixed his by just repositioning the contact pad/patch on the pcb and soldering in place with a tiny bit of solder so it can no longer move.

Upvote 0
He showed how the contact/pad for paddles is able to move from its position/contacts over a short time so creating the issue, he fixed his by just repositioning the contact pad/patch on the pcb and soldering in place with a tiny bit of solder so it can no longer move.
Yes, that sounds like it. I hope fanatec are listening

Upvote 0

I knew something was mechanically wonky with the shifter contacts...wasn't quite buying the "update the firmware" solution to fix a broken digital shifter that only works occasionally with a certain amount of pressure, if at all. I think maybe the right thing to do would be to recall all Mclaren rims that can potentially suffer from this issue, since it seems like it might be a design flaw.

Can you post a link to the iRacing forum page with this particular post from Simon (for those of us who have iRacing accounts)?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3617530.page

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Someone will need to copy paste the text, I'd say. iRacing is good like that......

:rolleyes:

Here is what simon(SRM owner) said in that thread.

I have been getting a few customers complaining about failed shifters on the McLaren wheel recently, although the issue is not anything to do with the conversion because it also seems to be affecting people using the Fanatec wheel base as well.

I had the chance to look in detail at a couple of wheels that were experiencing miss shifts, double shifts and complete failure and each one had the same issue inside. Basically the shifter button mechanics inside the the wheel consists of a plastic rod with a rubber end pressing down onto a metal plate which makes contact with two parts of the PCB, thus making the button press event. But the metal plate is just stuck onto the PCB with tape! I believe that after sustained use the plate can get warm and then move. Each of the failed wheels had the plate at an angle meaning the rod was no longer hitting the centre of the plate. Taking the plate off and re attaching it straight does fix the issue, but it is sure to move again. Most buttons like this have something in each corner to prevent it moving... the McLaren wheel does not. It's the same thing with the P and N buttons.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back