Fanatec McLaren GT3 rim problems...

Hey guys,

Anyone having problems with their newly released McLaren GT3 rim? I am having the clutch paddles drop out on me after a random amount of time. Upon plugging the rim into the base (I use an OSW with the Fanatec wheel base side conversion kit with the newly flashed firmware to operate the GT3 rim) everything is recognized, map-able and works fine. After a while driving, the clutch paddles just drop out and become unusable. I've had the gear paddles drop out once or twice but it's the clutch paddles that do it pretty much every session. Sometimes after 20 minutes, sometimes after a couple of minutes. I've contacted both Fanatec and Simracingmachines.com where I got the conversion kit from in a hope to get to the bottom of it. Just wondering if anyone else is having drama with it.

When you first plug it in, everything is recognized so their shouldn't be a problem with compatibility. Just a reliability thing now.

I wouldn't expect too much from this rim tbh. It's a budget rim that doesn't even meet Clubsport range specs in terms of build quality. Considering the features you get with it, it's a good purchase for the price. DD users should be aware of this and make sure to run a lower FFB level when using this rim, in my opinion. I am not a user of heavy FFB forces in the first place but even I can feel some movement in some areas. Lower the FFB and enjoy the rim for what it is. A custom rim with similar button box including dials and an analog dual clutch system would set you back over a grande, easily.

I've emailed Fanatec a final time to confirm they will update the firmware in the test. If not, I'll hopefully organise for a fellow member to update for me if possible. No point sending it to them if they are not going to update it, which seems to fix the problem.

Upvote 0
Just an update to (hopefully) close out the thread. I've received my rim back from being updated to latest firmware, and have had no drop out of the clutch after leaving the wheel and PC on overnight. This has never happened so hopefully it's sorted now. I am doing practice and a race today so I will test further but for now, it seems that the previous issue does indeed go away with the latest firmware upgrade on the rim.

Upvote 0
Depends what the fault is. If the button box completely stops working, and won't work even on a CSW base, then there is no reason it shouldn't be repaired under warranty. Provided the time frame is relevant. If the rim snaps off the quick release due to torque it wasn't designed to widthstand then I can understand. Also, Fanatec sell rims standalone and class their CSW range as being the real thing. They should perform as such.

That being said, I told them I use my McLaren rim on an OSW and they were happy to update it for me, free of charge, just paying the postage. I think that was good service.

Upvote 0
This is definitely a problem with the rim and they should replace it. Take your wheel off and look at the pins. Are they all there? There should be no empty pin locations or broken looking pins. However, one is shorter than the others. I bought a McLaren rim a few weeks ago and it died after a couple hours use. A pin had broken even though I've used the retaining screw since first use. I wrote to Fanatec and they authorized the return. Shipped it back, got a new one, all good. Only... after about an hour of driving this one died as well. Hmmm. Considering they don't offer the McLaren GT3 rim without the quick release option anymore, I'm going to bet they have a design issue with that plastic connecting collar. If I had to guess, I'd say it flexes under hard shock and vibration and causes pins to break. I work in mechanical design for electronic packaging for an aerospace company. We have a little bit of experience with this sort of thing. So I wrote Fanatec again and they said they'd sell me the QR at half price. Um, no. I bought your product and it's defective. I shouldn't have to buy another part to make it work correctly. We'll see what they say, but I really hope they do right by me.

Upvote 0
This is definitely a problem with the rim and they should replace it. Take your wheel off and look at the pins. Are they all there? There should be no empty pin locations or broken looking pins. However, one is shorter than the others. I bought a McLaren rim a few weeks ago and it died after a couple hours use. A pin had broken even though I've used the retaining screw since first use. I wrote to Fanatec and they authorized the return. Shipped it back, got a new one, all good. Only... after about an hour of driving this one died as well. Hmmm. Considering they don't offer the McLaren GT3 rim without the quick release option anymore, I'm going to bet they have a design issue with that plastic connecting collar. If I had to guess, I'd say it flexes under hard shock and vibration and causes pins to break. I work in mechanical design for electronic packaging for an aerospace company. We have a little bit of experience with this sort of thing. So I wrote Fanatec again and they said they'd sell me the QR at half price. Um, no. I bought your product and it's defective. I shouldn't have to buy another part to make it work correctly. We'll see what they say, but I really hope they do right by me.

That could be the issue (or one of the issues), but in my case, I bought mine with the metal QR when it was optional, and I've used it every single time with the metal QR, never once with the plastic release. Are you saying the pins on the 2nd wheel you received also got bent/broken? I haven't had any broken pins with the McLaren wheels I've had give issues, so maybe there's something else at play here.

I could be wrong, but I really hope Fanatec learns from this and don't release another hard plastic wheel. Granted, they made it for the CSL line, but the current CSL wheel bases are now as strong as the CSW v2.5 if I'm not mistaken, so same torque issues. I love the McLaren design/feel and it definitely saves in weight, but it might be too fragile for its intended use...hopefully they stick to wheels with a strong metal core from now on.

Upvote 0
@johndough247 ,

The Fanatec CSW V2 and v2.5 both delivers 8nm compared to the CSL Elite which delivers 6nm.

You’re right; I thought I saw 8nm on the CSL wheel base+. However, the same motor as the v2.5 is in that wheel....doesn’t seem like a big power difference, but I’ll dial my v2.5’s FFB back to 75 and see if there’s a big drop in power (assuming the 1-100 scale used is linear and not exponential)

Upvote 0
The pins have been an issue for a lot of people, from what I've seen. I haven't had such an issue, yet. Again, I run OSW and I have the quick release adapter so at least I haven't ran it with the plastic one. I don't run a very high FFB and if I did, it would only be for formula cars in which I would use my Formula Black rim for. Metal construction and more suited for the higher forces. I'd like to use the larger rim for formula cars but I think I'd rather keep it in good condition for larger cars that use the GT style and sized rim. Makes more sense to me that abusing it with forces it probably won't like.

That being said, people have been breaking their pins on regular Fanatec wheel bases, so in this case the rim itself definitely has issues in it's manufacturing, or design, and something that Fanatec are probably looking into as they continue to produce them.

Upvote 0
That could be the issue (or one of the issues), but in my case, I bought mine with the metal QR when it was optional, and I've used it every single time with the metal QR, never once with the plastic release. Are you saying the pins on the 2nd wheel you received also got bent/broken? I haven't had any broken pins with the McLaren wheels I've had give issues, so maybe there's something else at play here.

I could be wrong, but I really hope Fanatec learns from this and don't release another hard plastic wheel. Granted, they made it for the CSL line, but the current CSL wheel bases are now as strong as the CSW v2.5 if I'm not mistaken, so same torque issues. I love the McLaren design/feel and it definitely saves in weight, but it might be too fragile for its intended use...hopefully they stick to wheels with a strong metal core from now on.

Yes, I had a pin break in both wheels. The same pin location, actually. It could be a bad batch of connectors. Maybe they are out of tolerance, or just poorly made, but if that were the case, why are they only offering the rim with the QR now? Seems pretty obvious that there is a problem with the plastic collar when they take it off the market. Or maybe it's a combination of a few problems. I doubt they'll ever tell us. At this point, I just want them to own up to their mistake and make it right. I don't begrudge them trying to make a really cool wheel and keep it affordable for a wider customer base. It just seems like they got a little too ambitious with cost savings. This wheel would have been just as attractive at $200 or $250, and they could have used better parts for a more robust design.

Upvote 0
I wish they made it the same as the CSW range and charged $400 for it. I would have still bought it, easily.

I would try to save for such a wheel, but I can’t “afford” it to be honest...glad that you can. The thing is, there are more who could afford a $200 rim than a $400 one, so I understand them trying to break into that market. However IMO I think Fanatec should just try to stay in that high end to boutique market and work even harder to keep quality control at an impeccable standard.

I hope people understand that ultimately I want to see them succeed as they have the winning formula with their modular approach to things. I worry when every criticism aimed towards a company is seen as trolling; can’t speak for the others, but I’m not trying to tear Fanatec down, but trying to pull them up to higher heights.

Upvote 0
Yes, I had a pin break in both wheels. The same pin location, actually. It could be a bad batch of connectors. Maybe they are out of tolerance, or just poorly made, but if that were the case, why are they only offering the rim with the QR now? Seems pretty obvious that there is a problem with the plastic collar when they take it off the market. Or maybe it's a combination of a few problems. I doubt they'll ever tell us. At this point, I just want them to own up to their mistake and make it right. I don't begrudge them trying to make a really cool wheel and keep it affordable for a wider customer base. It just seems like they got a little too ambitious with cost savings. This wheel would have been just as attractive at $200 or $250, and they could have used better parts for a more robust design.
Following an internal investigation into the reported issues with the McLaren wheel, we have made some temporary adjustments to the webshop. Contrary to some opinions, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the simplified QR design; the expected performance of this QR is very strong, enduring thousands of hours of machine testing (this is evident in the reliable performance found in other CSL steering wheel products that use the same system). Unfortunately a small number of RMcL units were shipped with a simplified QR that was out of spec, and this is being resolved. Once this has been resolved, the standard RMcL will return.

We are continuing to monitor this situation carefully. Anyone with concerns regarding their McLaren wheel an simplified QR should contact our support team.

Upvote 0
Following an internal investigation into the reported issues with the McLaren wheel, we have made some temporary adjustments to the webshop. Contrary to some opinions, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the simplified QR design; the expected performance of this QR is very strong, enduring thousands of hours of machine testing (this is evident in the reliable performance found in other CSL steering wheel products that use the same system). Unfortunately a small number of RMcL units were shipped with a simplified QR that was out of spec, and this is being resolved. Once this has been resolved, the standard RMcL will return.

Hi DomB

any news on the Serial numbers affected?? Considering you have stopped selling the standard rim kind of seems like its more than just a small batch.

will fanatec be contacting customers with the out of spec rims?
I contacted live support and was pretty unhelpful, just kept trying to sell me a discounted QR system.

Shouldn't all owners that brought this rim be offered a free quick release system instead of fanatec hoping the pins dont break and if fanatec refuse to offer free QR, once the new improved standard rims get rereleased will you be offering customers to replace them free of charge.

Upvote 0

We are continuing to monitor this situation carefully. Anyone with concerns regarding their McLaren wheel an simplified QR should contact our support team.

Glad to hear you guys seem to have solved the problem. I ended up returning my wheel and upgrading to a Formula Carbon rim. Unfortunately, my confidence in the McLaren rim took too big of a hit from the issues I experienced. I just don't want to risk having to drop out of races because of equipment problems. That's my decision though, and I'll admit that part of me will miss that rim. It really is an awesome piece of kit, especially at that price point.

A lot of people rag on Fanatec for quality issues or customer service problems, but I've experienced the opposite for the most part. My V3 pedals, CSW 2.5 base, and Porsche 918 rim are all awesome and never give me any problems. After talking with customer support, I do believe that the issues with the McLaren rim are a fluke and that Fanatec is doing the best they can to resolve the issue and satisfy their customers. I will say, if you have an issue with a Fanatec product, either call them or use the live chat on their site. It's much quicker and easier than emailing back and forth.

Upvote 0
A lot of people rag on Fanatec for quality issues or customer service problems, but I've experienced the opposite for the most part. My V3 pedals, CSW 2.5 base, and Porsche 918 rim are all awesome and never give me any problems.

I'm having the same experience with the same pieces of kit, plus the CS handbrake and CS shifter. They have performed flawlessly thus far (but I've obviously just jinxed them all, of course).

What's annoyed me in the past with Fanatec failures has been the automatic 'send us a video of the problem' response no matter what the issue is, and even for problems that were impossible to show on video. Many years ago my Porsche 911 GT2 wheel and shifters both developed problems and at the time I had NO means of recording video and told Fanatec this, not that video would have shown a non-working paddle shifter or a non-engaging h-pattern anyway. Fanatec wouldn't budge and I couldn't help thinking (rightly or wrongly) that Fanatec were just asking for videos to make it awkward for the consumer in the hope that it would be too much bother and the claim wouldn't be pursued, or as some form of 'proof' in case the consumer was lying, which would be pretty insulting. I think in the end I gave up after correspondence tennis with Fanatec support and had to eventually junk the wheel and the shifter.

Do they still insist on videos being recorded and sent before they'll do anything?

Upvote 0
I've just recorded my BMW rim buttons playing up for them in Joy2Key, so I'd say yes. That said I didn't need to for the McLaren rim firmware update. But I guess I requested that, so they didn't need to find a problem. They did ask, on both occasions however.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same experience with the same pieces of kit, plus the CS handbrake and CS shifter. They have performed flawlessly thus far (but I've obviously just jinxed them all, of course).

What's annoyed me in the past with Fanatec failures has been the automatic 'send us a video of the problem' response no matter what the issue is, and even for problems that were impossible to show on video. Many years ago my Porsche 911 GT2 wheel and shifters both developed problems and at the time I had NO means of recording video and told Fanatec this, not that video would have shown a non-working paddle shifter or a non-engaging h-pattern anyway. Fanatec wouldn't budge and I couldn't help thinking (rightly or wrongly) that Fanatec were just asking for videos to make it awkward for the consumer in the hope that it would be too much bother and the claim wouldn't be pursued, or as some form of 'proof' in case the consumer was lying, which would be pretty insulting. I think in the end I gave up after correspondence tennis with Fanatec support and had to eventually junk the wheel and the shifter.

Do they still insist on videos being recorded and sent before they'll do anything?
They asked for videos but the first time I had a pin break I just sent them a picture of it. The second time I sent a picture right off the bat and that was fine. I agree that their customer service could be a bit less reluctant to take customers at their word. Sim racers generally take good care of their gear, so if something goes wrong I think there's only a very small chance it was the customer's fault. And in those cases, it'll probably be obvious.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 335 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 227 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 171 7.9%
  • < 5 years