Fanatec CSL Elite Throttle Issue:

Hey all,

The past couple days, I've noticed that my throttle is blipping erratically when at the very lowest pressure. When I get to about 2/5% pressure, it will register up to 50% for split seconds.

Is this a bad or dirty potentiometer? If so, how do I clean it?

Here's a vid I made of it.

Thanks!

Do there things use potis?

If so, yes, but I recommend that you do not do the usual thing of spraying WD40 inside. That only helps short term and then gets worse. Look up how people repair scratchy potis in electric guitars.

If you fix it, whichever way, you should probably think about adding some dust shielding.

Upvote 0
Are they anything like Clubsport v2 pedals? I had issues with mine.They don't have potentiometers like my g27 or t3pa pedals. Looks like some sort of hall effect sensor, but I'm not sure what it is tbh. Anyway, they went crazy one night, and I couldn't find a solvent (which would leave no residue) in the house. Then I had an epiphany - I used lighter gas (butane) on a clean rag. I sprayed it into a small area of the rag and quickly cleaned the contacts, whilst the rag was still wet.
Worked for me, but your mileage may vary.
BTW, if your sensors are like mine, I'd check a Youtube vid first. There are some tiny plastic spacers, which are fiddly and easy to damage/lose.
Good luck. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Anyone speak French? ;)

At 3:30 of this video I found, he takes out the pot and has plenty to say about it. It looks super easy but I'd sure like to know if there's something crucial he mentions before I go tearing into mine!

Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0
Anyone speak French? ;)

At 3:30 of this video I found, he takes out the pot and has plenty to say about it. It looks super easy but I'd sure like to know if there's something crucial he mentions before I go tearing into mine!
First, he think the gearing of the pots is faulty. One part is aluminum, the other plastic: the plastic is wearing... He contacted Fanatec but did not get an answer yet when he made this video, so he is moving the plastic gear to get an unused part facing the aluminum one. He first disconnect the wires...
Starting at 8:58 he shows that the pedals are precise again but not calibrated anymore. At 10:36 how to recalibrate with his wheelbase after the change:
- he goes in the setting mode
- for the up position: he press both paddles, and the middle left button
- then for the bottom position: he fully press both pedals, at the same time press both paddels, and the middle left button
He did not mention any particular thing to take care. He seems to think this is done on purpose so the pedals have a shorter lifespan...
In the comments he said he got an answer from Fanatec: they are sending 2 pots, and want him to send back the faulty ones so they can analyze them. (This sounds like it is not done on purpose :))

I hope this will help you. Maybe try to contact Fanatec too? Good luck!

Upvote 0
Any other takes on this issue with the CSL Elite pedals. I am going through a process of trying to decide if I should spend the extra on the V3s. Looking at many reviews, many say the brake on the CSLs is superior (out of the box excluding Fanatec mods), but if the pots have a design fault then the choice is made, but I would rather not spend the extra.

Upvote 0
Any other takes on this issue with the CSL Elite pedals. I am going through a process of trying to decide if I should spend the extra on the V3s.
All potentiometers wear and will get dirty, so the hall effect sensors in the V3s are superior when it comes to longevity. The quality of the pots determines how soon problems appear.

On the other hand, the mechanicals of the CSL design mostly appear superior and offer more flexibility when mounting them in a rig. The weak spot of the CSL mechanics appear to be the gears made of plastic that are on an offset axis, so do take care to protect them from dirt falling off your shoes/socks.

For myself, I went with the CSL Elite LC setup and am inverting the pedals to protect the gears. The really cheap pots on my G25 pedals & shifter were great for 5 years and progressively worse for the next 5, so I can live with that and expect to replace these pots at some point in the future while keeping the other US$160 in my pocket (price difference of V3 plus the brake pedal performance kit). Or I'll just become a Heusinkveld customer when that day comes around...

Upvote 0
My CSL elite pedals throttle arrived with what I thought a broken potentiometer. Fanatec sent me a replacement and it broke too. The metal gearing in the pedal was broken. I didn’t bother trying to fix it, but put it aside and drove with the clutch as throttle instead.
After a couple months I noticed that my throttle (original clutch) is erratic and I got fed up. The LC break worked great though. I’ve since bought a set of Heusinkvelds.
I threw out the faulty throttle pedal as cost of shipping back to Fanatec is almost the price of the pedal.
Moral of the story: Fanatec gear is great for the price, but it’s somewhat of a lottery if you’ll get something working or not.
I own the CSL elite wheel base with the Porsche rim and they are both great and problem free.

Upvote 0
Thanks Adam,

I have the PS4 CSL base and am very happy. Although I have had to RMA it, but Fanatec pay for shipping both ways so was relatively painless except for the fact thy temporarily lost my wheel. I think I am concerned enough over the CSL pedals that I will go for the Clubsters instead. All the other decent pedals are way too expensive.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing