Fanatec CSL Elite Starter kit or Clubsport v2.5 kit for a desk setup?

Hello everyone
It's my first post. I am glad I came across this forum and have had a look for threads about this particular question I have but have not found any so far, hence my post. I hope that's OK.

While I have been enjoying flight sims (DCS World) for many years I recently purchased Dirt Rally for PSVR to try out on my 27 year old son's PS4 console. This was with a view to getting used to VR ahead of getting a VR set of some sort for my PC back home. It's safe to say we quickly got hooked on Dirt Rally using the console pad. We then went halves on a Logitech G29 and a GTArt stand for it. That improved the experience quite a lot and has been a good purchase. So, I've been researching the various options for my set up back home. I will need to use mine on my desk so have settled on the following two choices. I would very much welcome your thoughts on these and if I am missing anything. I'll be using mine on a PC (RTX 2070, 9th Gen Intel Core i5 9600K 3.7GHz Six Core Processor, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 2xSSD Drives). I have Dirt Rally and Dirt Rally V2 from Steam ready for when I get back home.

From the Fanatec Eu website:
Option 1:
CSL Elite PS4™ Starter Kit for PC and PS4 579.95€
This provides:
CSL Elite Racing Wheel - officially licensed for PS4™
CSL Elite Pedals
I can get going with this as is as it comes with a table clamp.

Option 2:
ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5, CSL Elite Pedals EU, CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1 799.95€
This provides:
ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5
CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1
CSL Elite Pedals
I'll immediately need a ClubSport Table Clamp V2 at another 59.99€
Total 859.84€

Is the Clubsport V2.5 wheel base and P1 steering wheel worth an extra 279.89€ when I am coming from a G29?

If I go with the CSL kit am I likely to want to upgrade the CSL wheel base or will it be good for a desk set up for several years?

Are there other recommendations for this price range I should consider? I've ruled out Thrustmaster and Direct Drive options at this point in time.

I'll later add a Load Cell kit for the pedals and a handbrake for sure but as these additions will work with either base don't really factor in this choice. I'm looking at Monstertech desk mounts for the handbrake and my flight sim throttle and stick so I can swap them easily or free up the desk as needed.

Many thanks in advance

Never tried the csl elite but from what I hear it is almost as good as the csw. So coming from a logitech wheel you will be mindblown either way. And with the money you don't spend, you can buy the csl elite loadcell brake pedal which will make much more of an impact (it is very good!).

Upvote 0
Thank you all for the advice and comments.
Maelstrom, I have looked at the GT Omega and similar. It’s partly a space issue and also acceptance on the home front. I’m taking a softly, softly approach. The wheel etc. is acceptable but I’m not getting positive vibes about a stand etc. at this stage

Upvote 0
Thanks Super_gt, I see.
Daniel Oliver, drilling into the desk isn’t an option. I’m tending towards option 2 but need to let it settle for a bit.

Thank you all very much indeed.

Upvote 0
Hey Shiftr!

I used to have a Thrustmaster T300 with the Alcantara wheel, mounted on a desk. I was looking for the best replacement option with keeping the whole thing desk mounted.
I ended up with a Fanatec CSW 2.5 base with the table clamp.

Although i've been using it for a couple of days now, let me share my experience with this setup.

The base together with the clamp have weights about 10kgs. Mounting it to a desk is somewhat tricky: you have to plug all the cables to the base prior to attaching it to the desk: once it's there, you cannot (easily) access the power supply/USB ports.
I kept the angle bracket on and it has some flex (it tilts a bit forward and backward) that surely not caused by the desk itself. I'm pretty sure that the same amount exists without the angle bracket, however i haven't really tried it. This video shows the amount of flex (in the second part, the angle bracket is mounted upside down not to have an incline for the rim, but the flex is the same in my case):
When the base is in heavy use and all the fans are operating, it produces moderate noise (like a vacuum cleaner :))
I also have to reduce/turn off all the vibration effects as they freaked out the missus.

All in all, i strongly suggest the csw 2.5 base as it surely is a huge step up from the logitech base. The force feedback is very detailed and smooth.
I'm using the Porsche 918 RSR rim, i believe the P1 rim is the best all around choice: it can be used for both GT and F1 style cars due to its size.

Cheers,
Muzzy

Upvote 0
Sorry, let me add one remark: i was following this video when mounting the base onto the desk:

I was suggested to remove the "rotating" part of the clamp. I just realized that i forgot to do so, hence the flex in my case. With that, it should have zero movement on the desk.
I'll try that today evening and report back if you find this information important.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much Muzzy, I appreciate you sharing your experience with the base and clamp.
What are the two poles coming out of the side for? Is that to attach the gear shifter or handbrake perhaps?

Upvote 0
Hi, about csw vs csl etc, habe a read here. My post is linked (and in the post there's another one linked) but the whole thread should give you some additional input :)
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/upgrade-advice.172234/#post-3028278

Very short summary from me:
- csl has an optical sensor that can become dirty and screw up the steering. Csw has hall sensors. It's annoying but can either be cleaned or replaced for about 20€ or something.

- csl feels great but you might find it still feeling like "playing a game". It's totally fine thought. Good wheel, delivering everything you need.
The csw, for my feel and needs, is too much of everything. Where I'd like to increase something further with the csl, I reduce things with my csw.
The punch, the rawness, smoothness and strength are a bit over the top so I reduce them all a little bit.
But for some games I go all in to enhance the original ffb of them (wreckfest for example) and it's awesome that this is possible.

- the csw has V-belts, the csl has a teethed belt. The csw is quieter and smoother due to this.

I have my csw mounted with the angle bracket to a wheel stand pro. The wheel stand wobbles a lot but the bracket is extremely stiff and tight.
In the above video it looks like the angle bracket has some issues with the table clamp (which I don't have).

Conclusion: the csl will be enough, especially on a desk where the roughness of the csw might be too harsh and brutal anyway.
Overall I think the csw is worth the money though. Even at very low ffb settings it just feels like a real car and not like a tool to play games.
If that's worth your money I can't tell. Sadly fanatec increased the price of the Xbox one csw bundle from 699€ to 799€. A damn shame imo...

Btw do you need the ps4 compatibility? There's a little updated version of the csl elite. The 1.1 edition... It's not ps4 compatible though but supposed to me more sturdy and a bit cheaper.

Upvote 0
Sorry, let me add one remark: i was following this video when mounting the base onto the desk:

I was suggested to remove the "rotating" part of the clamp. I just realized that i forgot to do so, hence the flex in my case. With that, it should have zero movement on the desk.
I'll try that today evening and report back if you find this information important.
Oops.. Overlooked that last one! I paused halfway through my post and didn't spot the "there are more posts" message:whistling:

Upvote 0
Thanks Muzzy, yes, that must be it as I can’t see them in pictures of the clamp on the Fanatec website.

Thank you RasmusP, that a lot of information and I really appreciate it. I don’t need PS4 compatibility so will check out the 1.1 edition, thanks. I have a lot to consider now. Partly I fear the CSW may be too much for my desk setup but I could ‘dial it down’ if I can summarise in that way, or get a CSL Elite or 1.1 perhaps which may suit the desk situation better for now. I’ll be adding a load cell and handbrake for sure. In time I should look at getting some sort of rig and take it from there.

Thanks so much everyone. I very much appreciate all your help.

Upvote 0
Thanks Muzzy, yes, that must be it as I can’t see them in pictures of the clamp on the Fanatec website.

Thank you RasmusP, that a lot of information and I really appreciate it. I don’t need PS4 compatibility so will check out the 1.1 edition, thanks. I have a lot to consider now. Partly I fear the CSW may be too much for my desk setup but I could ‘dial it down’ if I can summarise in that way, or get a CSL Elite or 1.1 perhaps which may suit the desk situation better for now. I’ll be adding a load cell and handbrake for sure. In time I should look at getting some sort of rig and take it from there.

Thanks so much everyone. I very much appreciate all your help.
I had some spare time so I checked the Fanatec website again and tried to remember the packs from January...
If you can wait -> wait!

The bundle with the csw 2.5 base + P1 Alcantara rim + csl 2 pedals was 699€ and I'm very very sure that there was a combo with the CSL elite base + CSL 3 pedals (LC kit) also with about a 100€ discount!

Now all the packs are only 19€ or 29€ discount...

You don't seem to upgrade to a rig or a stand in the near future and yeah, for a desk the csw 2.5 is a bit of a waste. Even turned down it will be a bit more raw and punchy than the CSL elite but not that much.
My wheelstand pro jumps around sometimes from the punches. If you have a really thick and heavy wooden desk you'll be fine but if not... you can imagine how everything will be shaken around on it.
And the CSW is full 200€ more than the CSL... Plus table clamp!
Not worth it if you can't crank it up in my opinion!

Anyway, if I were you I'd get the CSL elite V1.1 together with the CSL 3 pedal kit.
You save another 20€ by not having to buy the LC pedal separately.

And then I would get a proper rim instead of the P1 Alcantara!
The P1 rim doesn't have the best shifters, it flexes a little because of the plastic quick release and the buttons are like xbox gamepad buttons.

It's also a bit... "thin" for my hands. I'm fine with it but I also got a 119€ discount back then on the pack. Since you won't get that I would spend the money saved on the base for a better rim.
Maybe a used one?

I really like the clutch kick in Dirt Rally 1 and 2.0 and due to me not having a handbrake, I like using the clutch for it. Works pretty well :p

So my approach would be:

CSL Elite V1.1 = 349.95€
CSL elite LC = 229.90€
(buying it later will result in 99.95€ + 139.95€ + 7€ shipping = 246.90€)

= 579.85€ + shipping

Now I would recommend:
- BMW rim, maybe used
- Universal hub + round rim
- maybe Porsche rim if you can take off the LED bar...

The Porsche rim is expensive and I've read quite a few complaints about hitting the LED bar with the thumb while drifting!

Upvote 0
Did you consider a wheelstand pro? I am restricted to a desk set-up too, and at first used my DFGT with a desk clamp, then upgraded to a T500RS, also with a desk clamp. Then, after my wife insisted we change our desks ( :rolleyes: ) and the desk clamp no longer fitted the desk, I switched to a wheelstand pro. This drops down and folds away in seconds, and is then stored under my desk while I work (also keeping my wife happy :rolleyes: ). The T500Rs broke a couple of weeks ago so I switched to a TS-PC which I still mount the same way. The stand flexes a little, but not enough for me to notice whilst I am driving. I think the torque ratings for both the CSL and TS-PC are similar so this might be another option for you.

Porsche_w_csp_standing__53012.1411234246.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%