Fanatec CSL Elite Starter kit or Clubsport v2.5 kit for a desk setup?

Hello everyone
It's my first post. I am glad I came across this forum and have had a look for threads about this particular question I have but have not found any so far, hence my post. I hope that's OK.

While I have been enjoying flight sims (DCS World) for many years I recently purchased Dirt Rally for PSVR to try out on my 27 year old son's PS4 console. This was with a view to getting used to VR ahead of getting a VR set of some sort for my PC back home. It's safe to say we quickly got hooked on Dirt Rally using the console pad. We then went halves on a Logitech G29 and a GTArt stand for it. That improved the experience quite a lot and has been a good purchase. So, I've been researching the various options for my set up back home. I will need to use mine on my desk so have settled on the following two choices. I would very much welcome your thoughts on these and if I am missing anything. I'll be using mine on a PC (RTX 2070, 9th Gen Intel Core i5 9600K 3.7GHz Six Core Processor, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 2xSSD Drives). I have Dirt Rally and Dirt Rally V2 from Steam ready for when I get back home.

From the Fanatec Eu website:
Option 1:
CSL Elite PS4™ Starter Kit for PC and PS4 579.95€
This provides:
CSL Elite Racing Wheel - officially licensed for PS4™
CSL Elite Pedals
I can get going with this as is as it comes with a table clamp.

Option 2:
ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5, CSL Elite Pedals EU, CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1 799.95€
This provides:
ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5
CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1
CSL Elite Pedals
I'll immediately need a ClubSport Table Clamp V2 at another 59.99€
Total 859.84€

Is the Clubsport V2.5 wheel base and P1 steering wheel worth an extra 279.89€ when I am coming from a G29?

If I go with the CSL kit am I likely to want to upgrade the CSL wheel base or will it be good for a desk set up for several years?

Are there other recommendations for this price range I should consider? I've ruled out Thrustmaster and Direct Drive options at this point in time.

I'll later add a Load Cell kit for the pedals and a handbrake for sure but as these additions will work with either base don't really factor in this choice. I'm looking at Monstertech desk mounts for the handbrake and my flight sim throttle and stick so I can swap them easily or free up the desk as needed.

Many thanks in advance

In my opinion, this steering wheel is too heavy for CSL Elite base.
Yeah. I got the P1 on my CSW and i must say the flex is a bit annoying (most of the time I don't notive it but when you do it kind of annoys) but if you later upgrade to a quick release (not supported will need some modding) then it should take care of it. I am getting an open rim too to drive open wheelers and those seem sturdier (and heavier!).

Upvote 0
In my opinion, this steering wheel is too heavy for CSL Elite base.
Do you have first hand experience yourself on this?
I'd rather say that the little added inertia and dampening would work very well for rallying on a desk clamp.
The pulses will still be there but feel a bit thicker. Naturally rounding up chainsaw signals without losing overall strength of the steering wheel.

I dislike the FEI (smoothing) setting from fanatec and dirt games don't have a smoothing setting so I'd like some heavier wheel.

And I'm not sure that a lighter wheel would be worth 100+ €...

Yeah. I got the P1 on my CSW and i must say the flex is a bit annoying (most of the time I don't notive it but when you do it kind of annoys) but if you later upgrade to a quick release (not supported will need some modding) then it should take care of it. I am getting an open rim too to drive open wheelers and those seem sturdier (and heavier!).
Did you quote the wrong line? :)

Upvote 0
Yeah. I got the P1 on my CSW and i must say the flex is a bit annoying (most of the time I don't notive it but when you do it kind of annoys) but if you later upgrade to a quick release (not supported will need some modding) then it should take care of it.
This is what I did and significantly reduced the flex:
Fanatec Plastic Semi-Quick Release System Mod
and I added magnetic paddle shifters:
Fanatec CSL Steering Wheel P1 Magnetic Paddle Shift Mod
Do you have first hand experience yourself on this?
I tested this steering wheel with a friend of mine on his CSL Elite and I didn't like it. Made of high quality, but the speed of rotation is slower and 320 mm in diameter makes the FFB to feels weaker.

Upvote 0
This is what I did and significantly reduced the flex:
Fanatec Plastic Semi-Quick Release System Mod
and I added magnetic paddle shifters:
Fanatec CSL Steering Wheel P1 Magnetic Paddle Shift Mod

I tested this steering wheel with a friend of mine on his CSL Elite and I didn't like it. Made of high quality, but the speed of rotation is slower and 320 mm in diameter makes the FFB to feels weaker.
Great links, thanks!

And great to hear from someone who actually drove that combo of BMW rim + csl base. Seems like OP should live with the p1 rim then or search for a uni hub or Porsche Rim!

Upvote 0
Thanks again everyone for all the additional input.
RasmusP : I can indeed wait until January, especially if Fanatec have a sale then. I think my wife will appreciate that advice more than I ;) Thanks for the further advice. It's looking like a CSL Elite for me at this stage. I'm keen on getting a handbrake for Dirt Rally.
Fat-Alfie : I don't think I can consider such as stand at this time but in the future one may be an option.
super_gt and Miguel Batista : I think I'll start with a base level steering wheel. By the sound of it I will gravitate to other options in time. Something to look forward to.

This is all rather new to me so I'm happy to take my time setting up. I look forward to the journey. Thanks very much everyone.

Upvote 0
Thanks again everyone for all the additional input.
RasmusP : I can indeed wait until January, especially if Fanatec have a sale then. I think my wife will appreciate that advice more than I ;) Thanks for the further advice. It's looking like a CSL Elite for me at this stage. I'm keen on getting a handbrake for Dirt Rally.
Fat-Alfie : I don't think I can consider such as stand at this time but in the future one may be an option.
super_gt and Miguel Batista : I think I'll start with a base level steering wheel. By the sound of it I will gravitate to other options in time. Something to look forward to.

This is all rather new to me so I'm happy to take my time setting up. I look forward to the journey. Thanks very much everyone.
Two last things:
1. The January sets weren't a sale. They were just the normal offering... But fanatec simply changed them for whatever reason. So just look at the set prices once per month.
They might put a better offer online or they might not, no clue sadly and no idea when or if.

2. If you don't want to spend so much money on a universal hub + rim or the Porsche rim, I would recommend getting the cheaper, plastic P1 rim instead of the Alcantara one.
If you let the wheel go and grab it again frequently, the Alcantara is pretty hot for the hands! And it doesn't grip that much nicer than a good plastic rim.
Not worth 80€ or whatever the price difference is for your location.

Edit: wow... They also got rid of the basic P1 rim for 99€ and only have the csl elite P1 for 179€ now...

Maybe look for a used rim then. Quite a lot of people that bought a set last year will offer the P1 rim for sale when they upgraded to a more expensive one.

I wish you good luck on your path to your wheel. Hopefully you'll find something nice and have a lot of fun!
When you need help with all the settings when you've got everything just ask :)

Upvote 0
Thank you RasmusP.
Ah, so no annual sale or anything. I can live with that. I'll take a look at the second hand market for steering wheels as you suggest. I can't do anything other than read up on things for a few more weeks until I get home but I am enjoying Dirt Rally on the PSVR with the G29 at my son's place in the mean time.

All you guys have been great.

Upvote 0
Thank you RasmusP.
Ah, so no annual sale or anything. I can live with that. I'll take a look at the second hand market for steering wheels as you suggest. I can't do anything other than read up on things for a few more weeks until I get home but I am enjoying Dirt Rally on the PSVR with the G29 at my son's place in the mean time.

All you guys have been great.
There's however the annual black Friday sale. Most of the times it's only the crap nobody wants anyway though :roflmao:

Upvote 0
Regarding the new P1 rim, I just had a talk with Fanatec sionce mine broke a pin with 4 hours of use and the rep told me that they are having issues with the current P1 batch. I ma basically unable to sim race atm because of this and I can't find any second hand or even new fanatec gear in my area so I am basically stuffed.

Upvote 0
Just noticed this video in my YouTube feed. Good timing, perhaps :)

Watched it earlier. Besides the fact that what he had was not an Entry level system ("Let's see if we can have fun using a setup that instead of only 5% of sim racers having access to, only 9% have it!"), the review is really nice. I think he hit the nail in the head saying he I recently became aware of him and he is improving as a youtuber. Quite enjoyable videos.

Upvote 0
After lots of thinking, re-reading this thread with all the excellent advice contained therein and after getting back home and discussing it all with my wife I have made a decision. I seriously considered a Porsche steering wheel as well by the way. I went over the options with my wife and checked the sturdiness of my desk. The desk is solid timber with metal support framing so will be good for either base I think. A sim rig is still not a real option in the house but my wife put forward the idea of one for the garage when I retire. Now that comment surprised me so is something to think about for the longer term. The Porsche steering wheel just pushed the overall price too high so may be a future purchase. So, I have placed an order with Fanatec for a ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5, CSL Elite Pedals EU, CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1 and the ClubSport table clamp. A load cell kit and handbrake will be the next additions. I'm quite sure I would have been very happy with the CSL Elite base but felt the CSW 2.5 was the better option for me at this time, all things considered. Given Miguel's experience with his P1 rim I may be taking a chance but I have to start somewhere and that seems the best option for the budget at this time.

Thanks again to everyone who responded to my question. I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
After lots of thinking, re-reading this thread with all the excellent advice contained therein and after getting back home and discussing it all with my wife I have made a decision. I seriously considered a Porsche steering wheel as well by the way. I went over the options with my wife and checked the sturdiness of my desk. The desk is solid timber with metal support framing so will be good for either base I think. A sim rig is still not a real option in the house but my wife put forward the idea of one for the garage when I retire. Now that comment surprised me so is something to think about for the longer term. The Porsche steering wheel just pushed the overall price too high so may be a future purchase. So, I have placed an order with Fanatec for a ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5, CSL Elite Pedals EU, CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1 and the ClubSport table clamp. A load cell kit and handbrake will be the next additions. I'm quite sure I would have been very happy with the CSL Elite base but felt the CSW 2.5 was the better option for me at this time, all things considered. Given Miguel's experience with his P1 rim I may be taking a chance but I have to start somewhere and that seems the best option for the budget at this time.

Thanks again to everyone who responded to my question. I really appreciate it.
It will serve you well :) i have that same wheelbase and it is unbelievebly good. Honestly want to try a DD to see the type of improvement as what you get out of it is already amazing. We use my old TS-PC at work and I must say that despite it being an excellent wheel it falls way short in comparison.

Upvote 0
My Fanatic kit arrived today. Very fast delivery to the UK from Germany. Unboxing it all and assembling it showed me just how premium it all looks. It took me an hour or so to set it up. I had a bit of a run in Dirt Rally 2 and Project Cars 2 before picking my wife up who had been out for lunch with friends. Guess who likes Project Cars 2? First impressions are we have a winner here. I’m very pleased and will enjoy setting it up to suit our preferences.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 353 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.9%
  • < 5 years