Fanatec CSL DD with Martin Ascher push-pull rally shifter

I'm considering replacing my CSW 2 wheelbase with a CSL DD. Occasionally i use a Martin Ascher push-pull rally shifter attached to the CSW and i don't wanna lose that option in the process. The rally shifter brackets are attached to the wheelbase using two of the threaded holes that are meant for the Fanatec static shifter paddles, so that shouldn't be a problem. However i'm a bit worried that the brackets might interfere with the CSL DD power button since it seems to "stick out" about 4mm. Is that correct?

Anyway, i was hoping that someone with a CSL DD could comment on this. Even better if you use (or have tried to use) a similar push-pull shifter with your CSL DD.

I'll try help, I just received my CSLDD yesterday, here's a photo of the power button.

If it's not what you need let me know, the button itself sticks out 2mm from the base. Around 4mm total counting the lip from the base as well.
20220119_140216.jpg
Hard photo to take but you can see it's not much.

Last edited:
Thank you @Trox! That helps a lot. It seems i could get away with using 5mm spacers/washers behind the shifter brackets. Can you operate the button by pressing it only on the right side (about where the measure is in the pic) or do you need to press it ”straight from the front” as well? I'm asking because i think the lower bracket will partly cover access to the power button straight from the front.

No worries, I don't have the CSLDD set up to be sure but just pressing the button on the edge doesn't engage the click sound although pressing in on the flat right side edge does.

If you get what I mean lol

As you can see the button angles off on the corner and can be pressed there

20220119_152347.jpg

Last edited:
That's a good point! I have brackets of various lengths, but i need to check to be sure. Dare i ask @Trox if you would be so kind and measure the length of the shaft (from the front plate surface)?

Last edited:
That's a good point! I have brackets of various lengths, but i need to check to be sure. Dare i ask @Trox if you would be so kind and measure the length of the shaft (from the front plate surface)?
No worries, the total length of the shaft from the DD enclosure is around 9.3cm and from the collar it's around 7.3cm.

Are those the measurements you need?

20220120_171234.jpg20220120_171607.jpg

I have a diy push/pull that was initially made for my CSW but later adapted to CSL DD. Instead of trying to reuse my face mount I made a new one that uses the t-slots on the sides of the motor's frame, a slicker solution than the face mount imo. likely something similar could be made for Ashcer's unit. I made a thread here for the shifter but haven't updated it with the CSL adaptation though it can be seen at the end of my imgur album for it
Thread here in case anyone is interested https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/diy-push-pull-rally-shifter.199295/

Nice job @mechsicko! The sidemount option didn't even cross my mind :confused: Out of interest, did you go the CSW 2 -> CSL DD route and what are your thoughts about that? I'm still having doubts whether to go with the CSL DD 8Nm, DD1 or maybe wait for something inbetween those two + the QR 2. Decisions decisions…

Nice job @mechsicko! The sidemount option didn't even cross my mind :confused: Out of interest, did you go the CSW 2 -> CSL DD route and what are your thoughts about that? I'm still having doubts whether to go with the CSL DD 8Nm, DD1 or maybe wait for something inbetween those two + the QR 2. Decisions decisions…
Thanks! I went from CSW2.5 to CSL DD running at 8Nm. My main motivation was form factor, it allows more tidy installation plus how the side t slots could accommodate stuff like my shifter. Performance wise it feels better to me in nearly every situation and the only advantage the CSW had was being able to better define virtual end stops. I normally use 540 and the CSW has nice firm stops to it but the DD seems softer in this regard. This makes it feel like it's not quite as strong but I think it's really just the difference in mechanical (dis)advantage of the belts'/pulleys having real friction/inertia/damping instead of virtual versions which comes out of the limited torque budget. Other than that the CSL DD seems superior on all counts and I have no regrets, enough so to overlook the weaker soft-stops.

• Deleted member 1451080

Deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Followup on CSW2.5 vs CSL DD: Yesterday I had a glitch out with my CSL, I think a new usb hub or usbc I switched to upset it but before I sorted it threw my CSW2.5 back on my rig and tried to prep for a race. It was really distracting and I was having a hard time trying to go back to using a belt/pulley system, even one as refined as Clubsport.

The banging of each wheel reversal as the inertia of the belts/pulleys/bearing circuit snaps to a halt continually drew my attention to it and it was like trying to go back to using a clackity G29 after running belt drive. When all I had was the 2.5 it felt great to me, better than my previous gear or belt wheels. I thought moving to CSL DD was subtle at the time but once I tried to go back just couldn't do it because that region across the center was night and day. Trying to catch slides on Finnish stages in rwd car really highlighted how important that transition area is, and how much better DD does that.

Luckily the process of initiating CSW drivers made it reinstall CSL drivers when I plugged it back in for some bench testing and that solved it cause I was really starting to worry I'd have to relearn to drive with CSW. #FirstWorldProblems

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back