Fanatec CSL DD -Mclaren GT3 V2 Fail

After 3 months of waiting my CSL DD arrived along with a McLaren GT3 V2, got it up and running easy enough and was doing some laps on ACC when the wheel just gave up and is now dead. The base seems fine. Anyone else experienced this?

I have contacted Fanatec support.

Video

Last edited:
This looks like the McLaren electronics aren't connected anymore :(
In theory that shouldn't happen with the new "simplified quick release".
The plastic QR of the V1 McLaren was a bit different with a screw-clamp mechanism. That was too wobbly though and sometimes the pins on the wheelside broke.

This looks very similar... I would take the wheel off and check if all pins look fine!

I ordered a csl DD and tested it for 2 days before sending it back. My csw 2.5 is good enough in comparison, I just wanted to check "the DD effect".
My McLaren v2 had some play/slip on the csl DD QR!
Before you take off the wheel:
Grab the Shaft-clamp of the csl DD and try to turn the McLaren wheel a bit to the left and right. Do you have some play too? Maybe that play was too much movement for the pins.. :(

Good luck with it! Where are you from? Here in Germany, the support is quick and awesome. In other countries it seems to differ, sadly..

This looks like the McLaren electronics aren't connected anymore :(
In theory that shouldn't happen with the new "simplified quick release".
The plastic QR of the V1 McLaren was a bit different with a screw-clamp mechanism. That was too wobbly though and sometimes the pins on the wheelside broke.

This looks very similar... I would take the wheel off and check if all pins look fine!

I ordered a csl DD and tested it for 2 days before sending it back. My csw 2.5 is good enough in comparison, I just wanted to check "the DD effect".
My McLaren v2 had some play/slip on the csl DD QR!
Before you take off the wheel:
Grab the Shaft-clamp of the csl DD and try to turn the McLaren wheel a bit to the left and right. Do you have some play too? Maybe that play was too much movement for the pins.. :(

Good luck with it! Where are you from? Here in Germany, the support is quick and awesome. In other countries it seems to differ, sadly..
Hi Rasmus, I've checked the pins and associated allen bolts and all look fine, solid and connect properly. The plastic QR felt really solid so I can't work out what has happened. It died mid lap on ACC after about 2 hours of driving with it.

I'm in the wonderful world of Brexit Britain :poop::rolleyes: so I can see this being a bit of nightmare.

Last week , my base, shifter, wheel and pedal disapeared from the driver . Device not found.
( it was some days after installing Windows 11, but it may be just à pure coincidence)

I just relaunched the driver install and used tve driver repair function.
All came back again into the driver.

If you don"t see all devices into the driver, it means they are not recognized.

May the driver repair works for you too ?
I would be you, i will try

Last week , my base, shifter, wheel and pedal disapeared from the driver . Device not found.
( it was some days after installing Windows 11, but it may be just à pure coincidence)

I just relaunched the driver install and used tve driver repair function.
All came back again into the driver.

If you don"t see all devices into the driver, it means they are not recognized.

May the driver repair works for you too ?
I would be you, i will try
Appreciate the message Manu but I did try it another PC and the same result. It looks like it will be going back to Fanatec.

That sucks! Hope you get it sorted.

Where abouts in the UK are you? If you're anywhere near Northants, then I've got an old fanatec universal hub somewhere and a spare wheel that you can borrow until fanatec replace your wheel. Just let me know :thumbsup:
Hi Neo, that is an extremely generous offer, thank you. Fanatec contacted me last night on a Sunday which is pretty impressive I have to say, looks like they are going to arrange for everything to go back for testing and replacement so I won't have a base even though I think that is fine.

Have to fire up the trusty old T300 base and Ferrari F1 wheel so I will be okay. Got some new Sprint pedals to play about with so hopefully in a couple of weeks I should be up and running again with the full new setup.

I will keep the thread updated on the returns and exchange process for reference especially if you're in the UK.

Hi Neo, that is an extremely generous offer, thank you. Fanatec contacted me last night on a Sunday which is pretty impressive I have to say, looks like they are going to arrange for everything to go back for testing and replacement so I won't have a base even though I think that is fine.

Have to fire up the trusty old T300 base and Ferrari F1 wheel so I will be okay. Got some new Sprint pedals to play about with so hopefully in a couple of weeks I should be up and running again with the full new setup.

I will keep the thread updated on the returns and exchange process for reference especially if you're in the UK.
Ah okay. Hopefully it'll be a quick replacement. When I've sent things back to Fanatec for repair in the past it's been fairly quick so fingers crossed it's the same for you.

Enjoy the Sprints! They're awesome pedals.

ooooh these are on my wishlist, be interesting to see what failed. Hopefully its a painless (although quite annoying no doubt) exercise, I am UK also and its the only thing putting me off (and lead times for the CSL DD)

Last edited:
I thought due to brexit, fanatec would have some repair partner and storage in the UK.
But maybe that was a different company :whistling: :roflmao:

We have a service centre in the UK

So far the service has been excellent @DomB_Fanatec

This is not Craig David's new single btw

Thursday it arrived.
Friday it went faulty so I contacted Fanatec which were quick to respond.
Sunday night I got email saying the Base and wheel will need to be retuned.
Monday I got an email early on telling me to pack up my base and wheel and confirm collection address.
Tuesday DPD collected my base, wheel and quick release.

Supposedly once Fanatec UK have received it back at their service centre a new product will be shipped to me.

Things go wrong it's how it's dealt with that matters and it's top marks so far :thumbsup:

Last edited:
We have a service centre in the UK.
Thanks for the confirmation! So my memory still works :D

Btw, I have my money ready for the ps5 version of the csl DD + boost kit :p
5 Nm were not enough to be better than my csw 2.5 but I really liked the silent/passive cooling and the friction+inertia settings.
Boost kit is too expensive to be worth sacrificing ps5 compatibility, so I'm waiting.

Last edited:
Unfortunately things have taken a turn for the worse, I have had no communication to find out what is going on after the items were collected, and no response to get updates.

Out of the blue I get an email saying a new base has been despatched from Germany (today 16th), all good.

In the meantime DPD have just dropped off a McLaren rim and the original QR from Fanatec UK.

Unfortunately the wheel is second hand and has damage to the rubber hand grips, is missing washers for the QR and best of all I can't even get the pin protector off as it has been rammed on subsequently damaging my hand.

Not a happy bunny @DomB_Fanatec

IMG20211116114451.jpg

IMG20211116114429.jpg

IMG20211116114419.jpg
IMG20211116114724.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately things have taken a turn for the worse, I have had no communication to find out what is going on after the items were collected, and no response to get updates.

Out of the blue I get an email saying a new base has been despatched from Germany (today 16th), all good.

In the meantime DPD have just dropped off a McLaren rim and the original QR from Fanatec UK.

Unfortunately the wheel is second hand and has damage to the rubber hand grips, is missing washers for the QR and best of all I can't even get the pin protector off as it has been rammed on subsequently damaging my hand to no avail.

Not a happy bunny @DomB_Fanatec

View attachment 517955

View attachment 517956

View attachment 517957View attachment 517958
Oh crap.. Seems like fanatec headquarters need to have a talk with the UK office...

When my McLaren V1 developed the classic shifter issue within a few days, I got a "repaired" one back. No comparison to your pictures though! I could only see that someone had grabbed the gribs. Looked like mine after the first day of use.
With the V1 it was due to a lot of new rims needing this standard repair to fix the shifters for good. So you've sent yours in and got a repaired from someone else back within 48h.

With your v2 I don't really see a reason though... And yours clearly isn't just "barely touched for a day" :(

Oh crap.. Seems like fanatec headquarters need to have a talk with the UK office...

When my McLaren V1 developed the classic shifter issue within a few days, I got a "repaired" one back. No comparison to your pictures though! I could only see that someone had grabbed the gribs. Looked like mine after the first day of use.
With the V1 it was due to a lot of new rims needing this standard repair to fix the shifters for good. So you've sent yours in and got a repaired from someone else back within 48h.

With your v2 I don't really see a reason though... And yours clearly isn't just "barely touched for a day" :(

Hi mate, so that perhaps is the process then, you send a faulty one in and you get a repaired one back? Anyway I am not accepting that one it looks like the company dog has had a chew on it. I thought I was going mad so I have tried to get the pin protector cap off again but unless I go at with some grips or some other tool it ain't coming off so it's a fail regardless of the damage to the grip and missing washers.

Seems strange to send a new base from Germany and not a new rim when it appeared to be the rim at fault, I don't get the logic.

Dom from Fanatec has spotted my update and is on the case so hopefully I get something sorted soon. I always feel guilty moaning about such trivial matters and I am quite happy to give people and companies the chance to rectify things but this has not gone well, lack of communication being a big frustration.

Hi mate, so that perhaps is the process then, you send a faulty one in and you get a repaired one back? Anyway I am not accepting that one it looks like the company dog has had a chew on it. I thought I was going mad so I have tried to get the pin protector cap off again but unless I go at with some grips or some other tool it ain't coming off so it's a fail regardless of the damage to the grip and missing washers.

Seems strange to send a new base from Germany and not a new rim when it appeared to be the rim at fault, I don't get the logic.

Dom from Fanatec has spotted my update and is on the case so hopefully I get something sorted soon. I always feel guilty moaning about such trivial matters and I am quite happy to give people and companies the chance to rectify things but this has not gone well, lack of communication being a big frustration.
It's a bit strange indeed! And ofc that rim is unacceptable! Probably slipped through the checking process and got sent out.
Although it's super frustrating to not be able to drive, UK luckily doesn't have that long delivery routes so it should get sorted quickly.
The support always responded pretty swiftly and nice, when I used the contact website and then replied to the email thread.

Please keep us updated or post the end result when all is sorted. Always good to read if and how things got sorted in the end. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back