Fanatec Clubsport V2.5

I am currently using the Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 wheel base on a PC. I am an average driver and race mainly for fun. Do not race online a lot but will do the games daily challenges. Games I play are Dirt Rally series and the Assetto Corsa games. Was wondering if upgrading to the V2.5 was worth it for a casual racer. Would like some opinions from people who have made the switch. Cost of the base is not a factor in this question but I know I cannot justify going to a DD wheel base for what I do at this time. Thanks for any answers or suggestions.

Hi, I don't own the csl elite base myself but have a friend who has so I kinda know how it compares to my csw 2.5.
I also had a G27 before and a Thrustmaster TS-PC for 2 weeks.

I'd say the upgrade is only worth it if you're using your CSL base at 100% and you are wishing for more ffb strength.
If not, the upgrade is kinda marginal as in a bit smoother, spins faster, a bit more silent (the belt, not the cooling) and maybe a slightly higher fidelity.

But it's no "Oh yeah this more awesome". It's just.. I'd say 10-20% better in everything and of course, stronger ffb.
But if you are not constantly wishing for more force, it's really not worth it!

If you want a noticeable upgrade but not really more force, the next step would be a DD wheel.

Upvote 0
I made this upgrade and was pleasantly surprised at how much better it was. I only bought it because I was tired of the flex from the plastic base of the CSL and knew CSW was mostly metal with beefy ball bearings. I knew on paper it was 25% more torque so expected higher highs and better dynamic range but that was all.

I was wrong and it was a noticeable leap in performance in every regard. The FF signals are processed and applied different in the CSW and not only is it much stronger (feels more than 25%) it's more detailed and nuanced. Things I didn't realize I was missing with CSL like static friction when turning the wheels when the car is not moving make a big difference to overall feel. It's also a lot quieter. After switching I found myself able to recover from lots of would-be crashes that CSL wasn't providing enough tactile information to avoid.

IMO it's totally worth the upgrade from CSL. I don't feel DD is enough of a leap from CSW2.5 to justify the leap in cost though and CSW is likely the last reasonable plateau of price/performance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting to hear from someone who used the CSL a lot more than I did!
I don't feel DD is enough of a leap from CSW2.5 to justify the leap in cost though
I'm thinking the same. I don't use the CSW at 100% force and sometimes I dial down the details and dynamic a little bit as it's "too much".
So I don't think getting a lot more of this "too much" is worth 1500€ or more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm good for this one, I have a CSL V2.5 and a DD2 it's been a good few years.

The CSL compared to the V2.5 you will not really notice a massive difference it is a stronger unit and smoother with slightly stronger feedback, I got the BMW rim to replace the CSL P1, and it seemed to be a tad bit heavy for my CSL base I could feel some flex in the shaft and the FF was not quite as sharp when using the much heavier BMW rim. But you will notice it has a better build quality and will handle heavier wheels, the CSL is a good base for the price IMO but the V2.5 is smoother, and I'm pretty heavy-handed and the V2.5 hours of hard driving, and it still feels the same as when I got it.

You will enjoy it have fun and let us know your thoughts when you get one

Upvote 0
Finally got my Fanatec V2.5 base. The people who advised me above were pretty much spot on. I have only tried it for a few hours on Dirt Rally using Fanatecs recommended settings (on both bases). I do like the V 2.5 better as I feel more with it. If it is worth the extra money over the CSL is a fine line right now but I always wanted the V 2.5 . Thanks for the advice and so far am happy with the upgrade.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back