Fanatec BMW GT2 rim vs Universal Hub or Elite P1?

After many years with my trusty Thrustmaster T500, I'm making the switch to Fanatec as I want something more solid with better build quality and better force feedback. Going to be getting CSW 2.5 as with my (albeit very strong) desk setup, I don't think a DD wheel base is appropriate, and also the cost is too much for me as I've just ordered a set of Heusingveld Sprint pedals as well, which is where the main improvement in my rig will be. Been looking at some reviews and they say that the CSW is the best non-DD wheel base out there. I'm also thinking that if I get into the fanatec ecosystem now, then I may be able to switch to DD a few years down the line

My question is about wheel rims. I'm thinking I'd get the Mclaren GT3 rim initially, and pre-order the new Clubsport formula v2 rim, but would like something for road/rally car use as well. Rally and road cars are my least used cars so I don't I can justify the cost of the hub + real rim, so am looking at the BMW rim, or even the Elite P1 instead.

I think I'm leaning towards the BMW rim as it's in the middle price wise and should do everything I want.

Anyone have any of these could offer some thoughts? Thanks

Last edited:
I have the BMW rim. First off, as with any alcantara rim, wear gloves or else your hands will turn black.

The BMW rim has worked flawlessly for me, but the alcantara stitching is falling apart where I grip it with my thumbs and my left thumb wore through a spot next to the joystick apparently because I use that thumb to exert more leverage while doing something with my right hand (shifting or manipulating pit menus with right funky switch). Thus I'm not a fan of alcantara in general and specifically not on the BMW rim.

When I got the rim, with my nearly average-size hands, I used to think of it as being too thick. I seem to have gotten used to it, as now I don't think about that aspect at all until I started to think of my impressions while writing this post.

Oh, and even with all the buttons on the wheel, you'll still want a buttonbox. Never have found a good use for the joystick... at first I tried mapping it to camera movement, but then I'd accidently bump it and YIKES, so unmapped after about 15 minutes!

Upvote 0
I have the BMW rim. First off, as with any alcantara rim, wear gloves or else your hands will turn black.

The BMW rim has worked flawlessly for me, but the alcantara stitching is falling apart where I grip it with my thumbs and my left thumb wore through a spot next to the joystick apparently because I use that thumb to exert more leverage while doing something with my right hand (shifting or manipulating pit menus with right funky switch). Thus I'm not a fan of alcantara in general and specifically not on the BMW rim.

When I got the rim, with my nearly average-size hands, I used to think of it as being too thick. I seem to have gotten used to it, as now I don't think about that aspect at all until I started to think of my impressions while writing this post.

Oh, and even with all the buttons on the wheel, you'll still want a buttonbox. Never have found a good use for the joystick... at first I tried mapping it to camera movement, but then I'd accidently bump it and YIKES, so unmapped after about 15 minutes!

Thanks for that. I've had the alcantara rim for thrustmaster and have worn gloves the entire time using it and it's lasted well. The BMW rim.wont be getting used anywhere near as much as the GT3 and formula rims so it should be ok :)

Upvote 0
I have the BMW rim for a short time on my Csl PS4 and it is a Improvement over the wheel that comes with the CSL PS4, which is the same as a P1. The GT2 is much heavier, and does dull the forces a little, but the buttons, size of the rim and general quality real feel outweight the tiny FF issue in my opinion.

I had the GT3, but shifter problems saw me return it for a refund, I was not wowed by it anyway, general toy like feel to be honest. I just bought a second hand Formula Carbon to fill in whilst Inwait for the Formula V2 to arrive.

Upvote 0
I have the BMW rim for a short time on my Csl PS4 and it is a Improvement over the wheel that comes with the CSL PS4, which is the same as a P1. The GT2 is much heavier, and does dull the forces a little, but the buttons, size of the rim and general quality real feel outweight the tiny FF issue in my opinion.

I had the GT3, but shifter problems saw me return it for a refund, I was not wowed by it anyway, general toy like feel to be honest. I just bought a second hand Formula Carbon to fill in whilst Inwait for the Formula V2 to arrive.
Thanks for that Tony. I am starting to have 2nd thoughts about the mclaren rim as I've seen a few threads with all the problems and am a little concerned it will feel toy like (as my thrustmaster F1 rim does). Maybe I'll hold off upgrading until the Formula V2 comes out.

I think the weight issue on the BMW rim is negligible in my opinion - the P1 rim I think will still feel a bit toy like and therefore I've ruled it out as that's what I'm wanting to get away from. As far as the hub goes, I've added up the weight of that + rim vs the BMW one it comes to 1900 and something grams so is only about 200 grams different as the BMW is 2120g. To add to the mix of confusion, their newly showed off 'podium' class GT wheel (showed at the sim racing expo and the more recent porsche sim racing summit) looks amazing, but there's no idea when it's coming out. The higher torque of the CSW 2.5 vs any other belt driven wheel should help with that I guess. A lot of people say its too heavy, but I can't imagine it makes all that much difference.

Back to the formula/GT rim, they're apparently doing another limited run of an F1-2019 wheel, presumably similar to the 2018 limited version which 1 press release I read said would be out in May. I don't think I'll wait that long and just get a formula v2 instead.

I think then it will be the BMW rim and I'll wait until formula v2 comes out and get it all together as it *should* only be another month or so, as I don't think there's much point trying to get a formula carbon rim just to get it right now. Hopefully there will be a nice GT3 rim out later in the year when they release their new 'modular' wheel system.

Upvote 0
Yeah, good idea to stick with the ClubSport or better stuff. Regarding future upgrades, I was looking for a good used v2.5 base, but I am now thinking of holding off and getting a rig and the DD1 base once they are out and other people are testing it for me...

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 194 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 379 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing