Alright when was that again.....?

But I think the broadcasting needs to get more professional. I'm yet to hear simracing commentary without bad microphone levels that are either way too quiet, uneven or distorted due to clipping.
Then most streams are stuttering and giving me headache...
Also there are barely any "replays" or multiple camera angles.

Did you watch the AM SRO stuff that we did? We had replays.

The challenge comes with the software and equipment needed, not everyone has loads of cash available. But we did an awesome job, got Martin Haven onboard though he would sometimes have connectivity issues :roflmao:

Have you seen some of the iRacing broadcast races? Some of the announcers are actually quite good. Not only that, but they change "cameras" and do instant replays as well.

Keep in mind that they have televised their races before. That requires a certain level of professional announcers.

They announce championship races and other "big" races of interest.
Yep, they are on a different level! However I've found the iRacing broadcasts to be stuttering and with quite a lot of clipping microphones as well..
Do you have an example that would be "better" from your opinion? I'd like to have a look!

Did you watch the AM SRO stuff that we did? We had replays.

The challenge comes with the software and equipment needed, not everyone has loads of cash available. But we did an awesome job, got Martin Haven onboard though he would sometimes have connectivity issues :roflmao:
I watched a few of them, yep! The replays were a nice addition compared to the first round with SRO!
They were one of the highest quality simracing events I've seen yet!

Stutters were okay and the audio wasn't bad. My post wasn't meant as criticism to any of the hard working people behind the simracing broadcasts!
Compared to real events there's simply the lack of money and especially possibilities/features to even change something.

There's no way to capture a completely smooth video, apart from FRAPS, which really tanks performance and outputs massively big files. Not practical...
Nvenc and everything OBS offers will always stutter because it's not "synced". With real videos you have the cameras all recording a fluent video on a set framerate and that's it.

For audio: I never found a possibility to hook up online audio streams into a DAW and then stream it back into the video feed.
During real events all audio goes into a control center with mixers and racks of equipment.

On the other hand: almost nobody cars about these things :roflmao:
For me it makes watching simracing races almost impossible. Triggered special snowflake :whistling:

Last edited:
There's no way to capture a completely smooth video, apart from FRAPS, which really tanks performance and outputs massively big files. Not practical...
Nvenc and everything OBS offers will always stutter because it's not "synced". With real videos you have the cameras all recording a fluent video on a set framerate and that's it.

this is completely false, obs is perfectly good enough and much better than fraps

as for audio, anyone can buy a half decent sounding mic for 50-100 bucks, there's literally zero excuse for the crappy mic quality sometimes found on some broadcasts, just go watch any streamer to see how good mic quality can easily be, it doesn't cost a fortune

this is completely false, obs is perfectly good enough and much better than fraps
Send me a stutter free simracing recording and I'll see if I agree.

And yes, it's the best way to do it at the moment. Fraps is ancient and not practical.
It's the only way to have a truly smooth video though.

For audio: yep, microphones are definitely affordable and shouldn't be the root of bad quality anymore.
And I think it's not too hard to configure obs with vst plug-ins. Many good free plug-ins out there.
Noise gate, compressor, eq, de-esser and a limiter/maximizer would boost the quality to a different level.
Sadly most prefer to have a super quiet stream or clip the crap out of their mics...

My point is that given that drivers have generationally got faster, it makes the current drivers the fastest in the world, and therefore with Hamilton being the fastest of them, he is the fastest driver to have lived. I didn’t say that was because he has better and more modern training or because he races a different way, it simply means what it is - he is the fastest.

And now you are not making any sense... Drivers have gone faster? How do you know this? Fangio didn't drove the same car as Hamilton did. There is no measurement that you can show to prove this, besides that scrambled theory about fitness and physical condition, Again, driving a car is not athletics.

You are clutching at straws to try to prove Hamilton is the "goat"... give it a rest. And a lot of people dont think he is the fastest even in the current grid, let alone of all time...

Last edited:
I've had a Snowball USB microphone with a 'plosive filter for must be 9 years now? it sounds great. I've made many Camtasia learning course recordings with it. The sound quality is excellent.

It may not sound like a Neuman $2500 voice microphone, but it does a great job.

Last edited:
Mod Edit: removed offensive comment.
the vast majority of people accept they play video games and realise that games and irl are very much different
You should tell that to all those stupid pilots and astronauts going through the simulation training.
Find some passion in your life, it'll do you good.

I’m getting an impression that some people are assuming the sim racing events will have the potential to significantly impact the real world championship. I don’t think we know that, do we? For all we know this could be implemented in a manner where the e-sports events contribute to the real world championship to about the same degree we see in other series with bonus points for pole positions or fastest laps.

Yeah, I guess there’s still an argument to be made about having the results of a “different discipline” affect the real world racing championship. As long as that potential impact is modest or outright small, then it certainly seems like a reasonable thing to try if it gains the series a title sponsor.

I hope it doesn't, otherwise drivers will need to grind practicing far crazy amount of laps to gain an edge. At least irl they all get fair amount of practice time. Thats biggest issue about competitive simracing. Although it could be solved by keeping tracks secret till the event. aaaaaand of course no one is going to do it lol

Last edited:
But simracing with a full cockpit is a lot closer, in terms of the required skills, to the real thing than controlling 11 players at once with 2 thumbsticks is to football...

I get what you're saying.

It's all a very personal thing, too. As much as I enjoy sim racing myself I really don't like watching it. I tried during the pandemic last year but I'm just not interested in watching something that isn't really happening. If you get my drift.

But I do think there would by an outcry if a major manufacturer looses a championship because of a technical failure in a simulated race. Because that failure would have been calculated by an algorithm. On the other hand you can loose a real race because of a bad pitstop and I can't remember ever having one in a sim race.

That's why I'm saying I wouldn't like it. Those are my reasons why I wouldn't want them to combine real- and sim racing.

Define "comparable".

Is it a 1:1? Of course not...but I'd imagine there are many comparable qualities to it, especially if using higher end hardware (DD wheels, pedals of similar feel to real world counterpart and something that gives a very high FOV like VR or triple monitor/surround projection). It also has the added bonus of exposing our still very niche hobby to a bigger audience. We clearly still have this divide in our community between those that aren't happy that some of us take it too seriously vs. those who think some of us don't take it serious enough. I don't know if merging the two worlds will ever help with this, but one huge benefit I see is getting feedback from ALL drivers of a specific series on how a sim feels. This has never happened before (normally you get drivers from all over...a Nicky Thiim here, a David Perel there) and I can see that as a really good thing; their feedback will hopefully push Kunos and other developers to higher levels or realism in the future. 1 or 2 drivers' opinion is one thing...the entire field giving a majority opinion is something else entirely.

I'm also glad to see that they will be on-site events with the same hardware, as my primary concern had to do with possible hacking or using an alien esports substitute to drive. Hopefully all involved manages to make it a glitch-free experience.

I couldn't agree more.

You should tell that to all those stupid pilots and astronauts going through the simulation training.
Good lord, these people are using professional simulators that cost millions of dollars to build. Do you really think this is comparable in any way to $40 video games?

Controllers are overrated, simulations are underrated. Both are important though. But simulations are definitely underrated of what they can possibly do, doesn't mean that they do it in consumer market.

David Perel said in a video or stream that even two real F488 GT3s do not feel completely identical, all cars have their tiny differences. What do we expect from sims in that case? I think the level we are at at actual driving simulation is pretty close to what is possible and reasonable to achieve, after all even if the developers revolutionize the core calculations behind it, it's not going to feel that much different, as there are other factors, such as hardware, etc. limiting what can be achieved. Our consumer "$40" simulations are not that different from professional simulations from the perspective of pure driving under normal circumstances, the differences lie in how can you develop an actual car and setup using spot-on data, not our slightly skewed approximations partly due to no manufacturer wanting to give their exact car simulated and "freely" available to their competition. Like when Kunos released the SF70H in AC, a car that was actually still racing in F1 that year (unprecedented in sims), the manufacturer didn't give exact parameters, but intervals, so they don't give anything critical away.

Last edited:
Well cars are cars, but most of what makes it work is the tires. And they are going to be rather similar if they are same model tires.

It should not be impossible for a pro driver with mechanical sympathy and fundamental knowledge to compare how tires operate. Doesn't even have to be dead on accurate to RL, just principally correct, which means same techniques work, same effort required, and same mistakes have same punishments.

That would be awesome if there would be such guy to get some observations, but I don't expect.

I do not see the actual software available, even though it can certainly be improve in the future, as the limiting factor at this time. To me the limiting factor to gap the (huge) bridge between simulation and real is the crude interface. Even with a full fledge wheel, pedals and rig, we are not even close.
VR is, to me a big step in the right direction.
The tools we have at our disposal are all pretty mature, susceptible to small future improvement, real progress will need newer tools.
My hope for improvements lays in the haptic suits, this should open possibilities of immersion that we are so sadly missing and bring us substantially closer to reality.

Last edited:
I don't like this at all. Real racing and computer games don't need to mix in this way.
Pure marketing. This fake mix and naming videogames as "sport" is delusional on purpose to people feel like a part of something real and throw money in hardware, software and infinite DLC. Take rf2 for example and their stupid "WFG" festivals while the 16 years game bugs are still in place.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 6.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 164 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 312 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 444 39.5%