Alright when was that again.....?

One thing that I am worried about is that drivers will probably sign agreements not to criticize simulation, nor to share any observations with slightest shade of criticism..
Even Alonso started making fun of his Honda F1 engine when it prevented him from winning. If they really score championship points and they find some issue they will bitch and moan like every driver does.

Last edited:
TBH world is brainwashed in big scale. Pretending to be good seems to work out as a public campaigns subjects. Truly effectively bringing good as a net result of actions is not as visible, and therefore not as popular. It hurts a lot all of us when facts, evidence and logic is less important than having more likes in social websites in the internet.

I hate to think that simracing could become just another virtue signaling approach. It would be hollow, fake and depressing. I am already depressed by how simracers seems to be detached from reality. I guarantee that there are many simracers who just watch simracing and never check real life, and instead of comparing simulation to real life, compares simulations to simulations. I wish this Fanatec and SRO project would encourage more critical look at comparing RL to simulation, but I doubt it will happen. Most likely it will just end up usual politically correct, virtue signaling circus.

@guidofoc I agree, the only times drivers ever will criticise anything, when they will need something to blame for their results. None of them will ever say that they shouldn't have been able to do something lol

Last edited:
if you say this you clearly dont know the history of this sport.

In the 50s drivers had to deal with 3+ hours or racing, usually with the heat of the engine in their faces, and it was all muscle based.

In the ground effects era cars had massive downforce, and no power steering, and drivers would regularly say they didnt have even the strength to hold the wheel on the corners, and some of them were way bigger than drivers today.

In the old days taking care of the car was a skill that disappeared today.

Different? Yes. But not "better".This is not athletics, i dare to say a Hamilton would have a lot to learn to even be competitive in a 1960s F1.

3 hours of racing in a car pulling 0.9-1G is demanding, sure. But not even on the same level.

Ground effect cars were very quick in corners for their age, but we passed that point in the early 00's - on grooved slicks, no less. They peaked at approximately 4G in sustained cornering whereas current cars are knocking on 6G.

To give you an idea of the demands that places on a driver, consider that fighter pilots are only expected to be able to sustain that sort of force (Vertically, admittedly) for a few minutes. F1 drivers sustain that for an hour. To compare it to scooting around in a Type 49 for a few hours is frankly a joke.

The reason drivers were exhausted, collapsing in their cars and blacking out was not because the cars back then were more physically demanding to drive, it's because nobody trained as intensively or as effectively. Even those drivers who weren't drinking themselves to death and smoking 10 packets of Gauloises a day didn't train as hard as current drivers, and certainly not in a way that would prepare them for the significant G-force they were to face. Think - if people were blacking out and collapsing in cars pulling 2-3G, imagine what would happen in a car pulling literally double that amount.

If you want to move the goalposts and talk about racecraft, ability to drive older cars etc, then I'm more than willing to agree on the genius of some of the older drivers, but the point you took issue with still stands - Those drivers would not be quicker in the current machinery even when they were at their best.

It's the same rose tinted view that believes that Group B was for men and everything after is rubbish.

I'm surprised there is so much backlash about sim racing becoming part of the racing agenda yet it seems to me that the real tragedy in the racing world that not many seem to care about are things like the almighty GT1 class becoming just race track days for the ultrarich or DTM becoming another bland GT3 championship...

Just like all things nowadays it is not about what it does but how it looks. [...]
It is this virtue signalling that is the real danger of motorsports.
This is sadly the right explanation to the evolution of the sport.

Last edited:
If you want to move the goalposts and talk about racecraft, ability to drive older cars etc, then I'm more than willing to agree on the genius of some of the older drivers, but the point you took issue with still stands - Those drivers would not be quicker in the current machinery even when they were at their best.
I marked part that I have biggest issue with. When you say that, is Clark at his best while being trained as he was 60 years ago? Or you assume he is trained as Hamilton today and then compare them?

My personal opinion: question #1 of course today's athlete will be better, since their training is made on struggles of yesterday's athletes. #2 that can't be compared, and GOAT discussion is as subjective as any discussion can get.

I see this as a job opportunity for myself. If points earned in sim games are going to count towards money championships in real car racing, each team is going to need a network/developer expert to help them find ways to hack the system.

If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin. :whistling:

only people who refuse to admit they are playing video games do this, the vast majority of people accept they play video games and realise that games and irl are very much different

Last edited:
I'd have agreed 10 years ago, but not anymore. The sims of choice we have today are not simple video games anymore. Real racing teams use those sims for a reason. And to call those with a different opinion to yours sad nerds makes it seem like you are the actual sad figure here and can't admit, that the sims of today aren't video games anymore.

3 hours of racing in a car pulling 0.9-1G is demanding, sure. But not even on the same level.

Ground effect cars were very quick in corners for their age, but we passed that point in the early 00's - on grooved slicks, no less. They peaked at approximately 4G in sustained cornering whereas current cars are knocking on 6G.

To give you an idea of the demands that places on a driver, consider that fighter pilots are only expected to be able to sustain that sort of force (Vertically, admittedly) for a few minutes. F1 drivers sustain that for an hour. To compare it to scooting around in a Type 49 for a few hours is frankly a joke.

The reason drivers were exhausted, collapsing in their cars and blacking out was not because the cars back then were more physically demanding to drive, it's because nobody trained as intensively or as effectively. Even those drivers who weren't drinking themselves to death and smoking 10 packets of Gauloises a day didn't train as hard as current drivers, and certainly not in a way that would prepare them for the significant G-force they were to face. Think - if people were blacking out and collapsing in cars pulling 2-3G, imagine what would happen in a car pulling literally double that amount.

It's the same rose tinted view that believes that Group B was for men and everything after is rubbish.

And by the same token, the guys of today would not be competitive in the cars of yesteryear without proper practice, training, and even a totally different way of "racing", so what is your point?...

Besides, physical condition is not the same as "strength". The ground effects cars had for sure the harderst to turn steering wheels in all of the F1 history by far. A reason why a big guy like Jones was so good in them. I dont think Lando tweegy Norris would have the muscle to pull that wheel, but so what, demands change of course. But that doesnt mean the old racing was any less hard.

Last edited:
Given that iRacing has gotten sim racing events televised, if ACC is being used for real points in competitions, you can expect that this will create competition for various sim titles to be involved with their own deals.

I don't know that any other hardware manufacturer has the clout Fanatec does to be able to sponsor something like this.

But it is possible that other smaller premium hardware groups might feel the need to band together to do something similar.

iRacing + HE + SimuCube for example.

The only real take away from this is that we will likely see more of this in the future and I expect that this will create additional competition between HW and SW companies and potential endorsement deals.

Last edited:
only sad nerds who refuse to admit they are playing video games do this, the vast majority of normal people accept they play video games and realise that games and irl are very much different

LOL!

Sad nerds ??? Love it! You really wanted to get a rise out of this crowd didn't you? <sigh>

Here's the rub. Simulators are both games and tools. They are not equal, but there is enough cross over for this to work.

Verstappen and Norris have been streaming their online sim races for a while now and their technical racing expertise translates over very well. By that I mean as real F1 drivers that their talent translates over and they tend to dominate the sim races that they are in.

Careful dropping a grenade like your comment above in this crowd!

And by the same token, the guys of today would not be competitive in the cars of yesteryear without proper practice, training, and even a totally different way of "racing", so what is your point?...

My point is that given that drivers have generationally got faster, it makes the current drivers the fastest in the world, and therefore with Hamilton being the fastest of them, he is the fastest driver to have lived. I didn’t say that was because he has better and more modern training or because he races a different way, it simply means what it is - he is the fastest.

I'm surprised that so much of the pushback is from the sim racing community.

Many of us have advocated for the legitimacy and realism of sim racing, and when sim racers get seats in real racing we celebrate. But this has really angered some people in the community.

Personally I think this is the biggest validation our niche hobby could get. I'm happy. You could make the argument that it fringes on de-legitimizing real racing, but as a sim racer I think it's pretty cool.

Exactly. I think it's pretty damned cool myself. Why people are assuming negative consequences from this, I have no idea.

In other threads people are fighting about which sim is the most realistic, this thread people are fighting that sims aren't realistic enough.

I really enjoyed the virtual Le Mans last year which was an event that was taken seriously by the drivers and organizers. We will see how this one will be executed, but I am looking forward to it. I do not think the points awarded in these events will be comparable to real races, but it could create interesting situations.

But I think the broadcasting needs to get more professional. I'm yet to hear simracing commentary without bad microphone levels that are either way too quiet, uneven or distorted due to clipping.
Then most streams are stuttering and giving me headache...
Also there are barely any "replays" or multiple camera angles.

Have you seen some of the iRacing broadcast races? Some of the announcers are actually quite good. Not only that, but they change "cameras" and do instant replays as well.

Keep in mind that they have televised their races before. That requires a certain level of professional announcers.

They announce championship races and other "big" races of interest.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 378 39.6%