Fanatec 1.5 shifter vs Frex Shifter

I have no experience with the Frex one but have always wondered how it compared to a Fanatec H pattern shifter. Heusinkveld are bringing out an H pattern 'soon' (who knows) and I plan on grabbing that when it's available.

My Fanatec shifter has needed some repairs once or twice but mainly due to wiring and I was able to fix it myself.

Upvote 0
From all the videos I've seen of Frex H shifters over the years, it looks awesome. If it wasn't for my budget, I'd choose it in a heartbeat. I've seen videos of some other h shifters over the years, even some more expensive ones and I always easily liked the Frex the best (judging from videos). I saw a video of the HE h-shifter; it looks good but a little too overly stiff and mechanical (I mean "mechanical" in a bad way, not good). I'm judging off one video which is not fair at all and the shifter may not have been the final version so take take my comment with a big grain of salt.

I'd see how much longer until the HE h-shifter comes out. If it's coming out soon, then wait for reviews and pricing while also checking out Frex reviews and videos.

I have a Fana CS Shifter SQ v1.5 and I don't think it's worth the price because I personally think the sequential on it is terrible. Therefore I don't think it's worth $200 let alone $200+ shipping (and possibly tax?). If it also had at least a decent sequential and I therefore didn't have to buy a seperate sequential (HE sequential) then I'd say "heck yes" to buying another Fana SQ v1.5.

In the meantime, get a cheap Logi G25, G27, or G29 or those older, cheaper Fanatec shifters (if they can be used) if you really need to.

If you can find a pre-owned Fanatec shifter v1.5 for a good price then that's a different story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From all the videos I've seen of Frex H shifters over the years, it looks awesome. If it wasn't for my budget, I'd choose it in a heartbeat. I've seen videos of some other h shifters over the years, even some more expensive ones and I always easily liked the Frex the best (judging from videos). I saw a video of the HE h-shifter; it looks good but a little too overly stiff and mechanical (I mean "mechanical" in a bad way, not good). I'm judging off one video which is not fair at all and the shifter may not have been the final version so take take my comment with a big grain of salt.

I'd see how much longer until the HE h-shifter comes out. If it's coming out soon, then wait for reviews and pricing while also checking out Frex reviews and videos.

I have a Fana CS Shifter SQ v1.5 and I don't think it's worth the price because I personally think the sequential on it is terrible. Therefore I don't think it's worth $200 let alone $200+ shipping (and possibly tax?). If it also had at least a decent sequential and I therefore didn't have to buy a seperate sequential (HE sequential) then I'd say "heck yes" to buying another Fana SQ v1.5.

In the meantime, get a cheap Logi G25, G27, or G29 or those older, cheaper Fanatec shifters (if they can be used) if you really need to.

If you can find a pre-owned Fanatec shifter v1.5 for a good price then that's a different story.
thanks guys for the advise. I , too, am interested in the HE h-shifter but, I am beginning to think they have abandoned this product.....lol. You would think there would be a little info about here and there but nada from HE. So I think I am just going to order the Frex and get on with it.....

Upvote 0
Last I read about the HE H-Shifter, they'd basically started again from scratch, but were not focussing on it due to the demand levels of the new Sprint pedals...but I think it's still an ongoing project.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't wait for the Heusinkveld. It could be a year or longer. Fortunately my CS 1.5 shifter is still working well. To be fair it probably hasn't seen the workout many of you are giving yours.

I'm looking forward to getting my Heusinkveld sequential shifter for my rig. From what I've heard I really should leave it be at stock tension as there isn't much room for adjustment and just try different stick lengths to find out what I like for feel and mount it accordingly.

I've "toyed" with the idea of the Pro-Sim H pattern, but it is both expensive and HUGE. I'm sure I could figure out how to mount it, but I think I should get a DD wheel before considering something like that. I doubt it would wear out and I still may consider it if I'm still using my rig a lot in a year.

Upvote 0
Can somebody provide a link to the Frex Shifter? My web searches have come up empty and I don't see any shifter here:
https://frex.com/store/?lang=en
Hmmm. I clicked the link you posted and there are literally 2 big pictures of shifters as soon as I clicked the link :) maybe it showed up differently on your end but here you go:
Frex HShift+
https://frex.com/store/product/hshift/?lang=en
IMG_Hshift2018-800.jpg

Frex Shift+
https://frex.com/store/product/shift/?lang=en
1024_shiftcarbonlook.jpg

You can also get them in all aluminum instead of carbon fibre.

Upvote 0
My Fanatec shifter is giving up the ghost and mis shifting. So I am conflicted on whether to replace it with another one or go with Frex shifter which is more expensive. Any advise?

did you buy a new shifter yet? I don't know if your broken shifter is the Fanatec SQ 1.5 Shifter (the one with the sequential and the hall effect sensor), but if that's the one, there's a fix you could try that fixed mine from doing incorrect shifts (would go to 1 or R when in 3rd gear for example). Check the video below:

Upvote 0
I've got the new FREX H pattern shifter, love it! It was that or the Fanatec. The FREX shifter has changed, there is a reverse gear threshold, no buttons on the top to program. I am led to believe the FREX shifter has a different feeling to the Fanatec. Completely satisfied with the FREX.

Upvote 0
I've got the new FREX H pattern shifter, love it! It was that or the Fanatec. The FREX shifter has changed, there is a reverse gear threshold, no buttons on the top to program. I am led to believe the FREX shifter has a different feeling to the Fanatec. Completely satisfied with the FREX.

I'm thinking of going in this direction too...I was hoping they still had the buttons, as I could use those for starter, ignition, lights and wipers. How long did it take to get it?

Upvote 0
I'm thinking of going in this direction too...I was hoping they still had the buttons, as I could use those for starter, ignition, lights and wipers. How long did it take to get it?

DHL express, 3 days from Japan to So Cal, but I placed my order August 17; they were In production with new units. Just place an order, expect to wait 1 month if they don’t have any units in stock. But you could get lucky! Regarding the buttons, I think it’s more typical to have them on your wheel, or go all out and get a separate Button/switch Panel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DHL express, 3 days from Japan to So Cal, but I placed my order August 17; they were In production with new units. Just place an order, expect to wait 1 month if they don’t have any units in stock. But you could get lucky! Regarding the buttons, I think it’s more typical to have them on your wheel, or go all out and get a separate Button/switch Panel.

Thanks, I’m debating whether to get one since I’ve seen both great reviews and horrible reviews...I'm torn between that or upgrading my GPU to a 3080.

As to the buttons, I do have wheels with buttons and a StreamDeck XL as my button box, but believe it or not, I still find myself running out of buttons LOL...too many choices I guess. Thanks again

Upvote 0
Thanks, I’m debating whether to get one since I’ve seen both great reviews and horrible reviews...I'm torn between that or upgrading my GPU to a 3080.

As to the buttons, I do have wheels with buttons and a StreamDeck XL as my button box, but believe it or not, I still find myself running out of buttons LOL...too many choices I guess. Thanks again

There are reported long term issues for both the Fanatec and FREX units, though FREX keeps on updating their design. A manual shifter has a lot of forces acting upon it, and is most likely to experience failure over time. The FREX can be taken apart and fixed, and there are known fixes for the Fanatec shifter.

I think you will be happy with either shifter.

Upvote 0
My Fanatec shifter is giving up the ghost and mis shifting. So I am conflicted on whether to replace it with another one or go with Frex shifter which is more expensive. Any advise?

Before you buy another Fanatec (like I did) check out this thread. https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fanatec-clubsport-shifter.189818/
I had the same issues, the first reply to my thread linked to a youtube video with the fix. I finally got around to trying the fix today, it worked great!!

Upvote 0
There are reported long term issues for both the Fanatec and FREX units, though FREX keeps on updating their design. A manual shifter has a lot of forces acting upon it, and is most likely to experience failure over time. The FREX can be taken apart and fixed, and there are known fixes for the Fanatec shifter.

I think you will be happy with either shifter.

Oh I know all about the Fanatec issues...mine has broken down more times than I can count, even after doing the fix I posted a year ago in this thread a few times (and a few other fixes as well), that's why I want to switch. Here the big difference:

FREX - Based on Barry/SRG's review, if a switch dies mid-race then you can't use that gear, but most likely can finish the race, then the switch can be replaced after and should work problem free for several years more. It might even make sense to just buy a full set of those switches and keep them handy so you'll have minimal downtime.

Fanatec - If the hall sensor goes out of alignment, that could mean trying to upshift from 4th to 5th and end up in 3rd and blowing up the engine...and it will go out of alignment when you least expect it. You could try going inside and fixing the alignment...or send it back to Fanatec to be replaced (although there's a very good chance they'll just fix yours and send it back). Can't just go out and buy a replacement parts for it either to DIY.

Of course, the FREX is double the price, so that is another factor to consider, but it ticks all the right boxes in terms of function and being more user-servicable.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years