FaceTrackNoIR or other PS3 eye tracking?

I have a spare PS3 Eye I am not using, I duct taped it over my PC screen and installed the driver and FaceTrackNoIR with some recommended racing settings found on Steam. Not impressed at all. Don't know why but does not feel natural.

Should try to mod the camera somehow and IR track, or forget it?

Thing is, I think the core issue is that in real driving my head is strictly forward and I merely glance with my eyes in the rear view. I.e. totally the opposite...

IMO headtracking makes only sense when you are using a triple-screen setup. With only one screen you keep looking to the side borders of your screen, at least thats the problem I had. The best solution in this case is RealHeadMotion, which rotates the view angle depending on your steering wheel angle or other factors I don´t remember right now. It has a lot of options and it feels natural after some hours. If you need help, I can give you my settings as a starting point. If I remember correctly there´s even a thread here at RD.

I have Trackir (single screen) and it does take a little getting used to using head tracking, but once you get comfortable with it then you cant live without it..... I have it more for flight sims, but it is just as immersive with with driving sims.
I would suggest you push through the awkward learning stage and you will come to enjoy it.

Do you have good settings for RHM? If I use a 27 inch screen and 25-26 FOV in AC and steering left moves the FOV 15 degrees, then I am mostly staring at the left column / pillar / viewing deadzone / whatever that thing between the windscreen and window is called in English. Setting it higher to look actually in the left window is too radical for a normal, non drifting turn, and setting it to less so that only looks at the left edge of the windscreen, then what is the point, I can see that anyway?

IMO headtracking makes only sense when you are using a triple-screen setup. With only one screen you keep looking to the side borders of your screen, at least thats the problem I had. The best solution in this case is RealHeadMotion, which rotates the view angle depending on your steering wheel angle or other factors I don´t remember right now. It has a lot of options and it feels natural after some hours. If you need help, I can give you my settings as a starting point. If I remember correctly there´s even a thread here at RD.

Do you have good settings for RHM? If I use a 27 inch screen and 25-26 FOV in AC and steering left moves the FOV 15 degrees, then I am mostly staring at the left column / pillar / viewing deadzone / whatever that thing between the windscreen and window is called in English. Setting it higher to look actually in the left window is too radical for a normal, non drifting turn, and setting it to less so that only looks at the left edge of the windscreen, then what is the point, I can see that anyway?

I like these settings, they're kind of smooth but its enough angle for me. Try this while driving, you wont see any effect apart from the roll when you are standing still.

Attachments

• rhm.JPG
    rhm.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 488
I was experimenting with head tracking as well recently, I`ve made a 3 point led, but I wasn`t impressed with the results either.

I tried it over AC and R3E, after few tries I decided to turn off the x,y,z movement and roll and left only pitch and yaw otherwise there was to much movement and felt very unnatural.

I`m still experimenting with it (when not racing as I can`t do decent laps with it on), but results are poor, tracking is not very smooth.

I have to admit though that I`m using Logitech C270 camera because I had that one at home with filter made from old floppy disk, downside is it`s only outputting around 30 FPS (after turning off auto-exposure), so I`m thinking about buying PS3 eye as those are relatively cheap and giving it a try then, maybe that will deliver better results, but for now I believe 3 monitor or VR(why they`re so bloody expensive ;D) would be a much better solution (I`m using 1 monitor at the moment)

Have you guys tried the EDTracker Pro...its a nice little gadget for the price...or you could tape your cell phone to your headset :)...seriously though...if you have software like OpenTrack etc installed..even if not used then be aware that you can lose a lot of the driver eye position functions in AC...like tilt etc and i think also glancing

Have you guys tried the EDTracker Pro...its a nice little gadget for the price...or you could tape your cell phone to your headset :)...seriously though...if you have software like OpenTrack etc installed..even if not used then be aware that you can lose a lot of the driver eye position functions in AC...like tilt etc and i think also glancing

AC doesn't have glancing nor any other driver eye functions I know of, other than bumping around with G forces and bumps (which are completely wrong, normally your inner eear filters it out)

If it had automatic glancing at apex like PCars on its own that would be great

All it has is looking abruptly left and right but that is really badly done, too fast

So there is no loss there. if @kunos would implement PCars style glance at apex feature we could ditch all these tracker experiments.

I like these settings, they're kind of smooth but its enough angle for me. Try this while driving, you wont see any effect apart from the roll when you are standing still.

Interesting, thank you! Prioritizing angular speed over steering movement sounds like you are not doing a look to apex when turning in function but more like a drifting function?

I use FTN+ Dunclip + Eyefinity + Eye PS3 webcam & all works super fine even at night. I use some 2 little IR transparent film for the 3 LEDs of the Dunclip.

No lag just pure fun :)

I use the PointTracker + Accela Filter for FTN.
My Eyefinity setup is 3840 x 1024px.

It's better than VR with smartphone (hehe yeah it works) or regular Oculus (also tried).

In any case, drifting with this, is simply amazing, what I would like to see, is the replays where the head of pilot moves as supposed :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back