Facetracking - general questions about practical use

Hi all
Just wanted to ask about your practical experience with facetracking, whomever is using it. I got simple DYI kit with 3IR and PS3 camera, set it up properly and all but after few tries I am still struggling to actually use it. It feels bit nausieating when looking around and it throws me off the course immediately, cant drive properly with this.
Tried disabling most axis so only left Yaw axis enabled, also fiddled with sensitivity curves so it works as I want it to, but still it feels like slow-me-down feature not a help.
How long did it take you to use and enjoy it? do u use for racing or only for cruising around? Use all axis or just yaw/pitch?
Any tips for setting it up better? Not sure if it takes time/practice to actually benefit from it or im just incompatible with it (i tried VR aswell and didnt like it much, im enjoying triple screen setup much more than VR).

any feedback appreciated, thanks!

I'm using a TrackIR 5 for +- 2 years ... and I cannot say it improved my lap times ( and of course didn't modify them downwards :D )
Anyway it rather improved the immersion as I'm using only 1 screen, now Ultrawide curved 34" and allowed me to see better the apexes.

As I first used the facetrackNOIR ... I quickly discovered that yaw-pitch were necessary while all other effects made me sick.
So when I bought a second-hand ( second-view ?? ;) ) TrackIR I already knew how I had to set it up.
The smoothest possible, just the maximum necessary rotation needed and surely not exagerated for the same move of the head ( just the necessary move in order to look at both side mirrors and nothing more ).

First some days, weeks or months are necessary to get accustomed to it, according to the regular or not regular driving times.
The biggest con ... ( exactly the same as the "Look to Apex" in older games ) .... TrackIR tends to exagerate a feeling of understeer, and mainly when the rotation angle is too high.

Not sure it's intended to work so but I feel that bending the head to the left or the right has less influence on understeer than turning the head .... as the move might be smoother than turning the head ( while you'd turn the eyes IRL ) ....
worth a try for you ? ... it doesn't change anything strongly ... but it may help ( except maybe make weak head muscles painful in long driving sessions ! :whistling: ... but that's rather my age the problem in this case. :p )

Many thanks for feedback, will keep on trying and see if i can get accustomised to it. Seem like i was on right patk with disabling unecessary axises and now just matter of getting used to it or not.
thanks

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back