F3 Racer Alex Peroni Escapes Huge Monza Shunt Unharmed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
In something of a miracle, Australian F3 racer Alex Peroni has avoided serious injury following an horrific looking crash during the F1 supporting Formula 3 Feature Race in Monza.

Peroni, 19, drives for the Campos Racing Formula 3 team in the Formula One feeder series this season, and currently sits in 20th place in the standings with a best result of eighth position at the Circuit Paul Ricard back in June.

Racing in front of the Italian Formula One crowd earlier today, Peroni apparently ran wide at final Parabolica corner and made contact with one of the many 'sausage' curbs at the venue - violently launching the Australian's car into a series of terrifying mid-air barrel rolls before coming to rest in the catch fencing that line the perimeter of the historic racing venue.

F3 Crash.jpg

Fears for the safety of the driver were soon laid to rest as Peroni was unbelievably able to walk away from his destroyed car, heading to the circuit medical centre for routine checks, where it is understood that no significant injuries have been found on the young driver.

Alex Peroni F3 Crash.jpg

The accident occurred during the closing stages of Saturday's race, and as a result of the subsequent investigation the FIA have confirmed all sausage curbs have been removed from the Parabolica corner for the remainder of the F1 weekend.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Reminds me of Sophie Floersch’s huge F3 crash at Macau last november. Very glad to see no one was injured today. Another miracle.

On a lighter note, once I saw the accident for a second time and I knew everybody was ok, I smiled when I saw the « When you drive never drink » sign...

On Twitter, somebody wrote that he thought it was a video of a computer game with really bad physics, until he realized it was real!

Jack Aitken who drives for the same racing organization in F2 tweeted that it looks like the curb broke or malfunctioned. If we take him at his word, then this feels more like a matter of questioning the material quality, installation, and inspection of the curbing itself rather than the choice of installing it at that particular location.

F**K me, Jesus. Just wow. How the hell.

Literally exactly what I said.

Jack Aitken who drives for the same racing organization in F2 tweeted that it looks like the curb broke or malfunctioned. If we take him at his word, then this feels more like a matter of questioning the material quality, installation, and inspection of the curbing itself rather than the choice of installing it at that particular location.

Guessing maybe the leading edge of the floor dove under the curb, then, lifting the curb off the surface and turning it into a defacto pole-vault?

When I first saw it I too thought it looked very much like some kind of physics gone weird accident in a sim rather than real life. Very frightening and I don't want to imagine what would have happened had it been an F1 car having that same incident.

Why can't they just put a 1 meter strip of grass around the edge of the track instead?

Jesus! he is a 'lucky' boy.
Did you notice the proximity to the green crane as he landed.
You would not want to hit that at those speeds despite the car scrubbing most of it off.
On another note: The Correa family has updated the public on the condition of their son's injuries and his battle going forward.
Hopefully he'll survive this and get well soon.

Last edited:
Guessing maybe the leading edge of the floor dove under the curb, then, lifting the curb off the surface and turning it into a defacto pole-vault?
The pole vault effect certainly seems like what happened. The thought that popped into my head was that maybe the tapered/downward sloping piece of the curb on the end failed leaving the blunt end of the next section to catch the leading edge of the floor.

The pole vault effect certainly seems like what happened. The thought that popped into my head was that maybe the tapered/downward sloping piece of the curb on the end failed leaving the blunt end of the next section to catch the leading edge of the floor.

The especially annoying thing about this is that those curbs are there to solve the problem of drivers using that as part of the racing surface, which only came about because they pave every square meter of surface at modern tracks. I understand paved runoff is safer, but the implementation is asinine. They've just created a whole host of new problems by the way they've done it.

Like was suggested earlier, there should be a grass strip separating the runoff from the racing surface. It allows for a paved runoff for safety, prevents drivers from abusing that surface automatically, and completely removes the "need" for these stupid sausage curbs that are quite clearly dangerous. Remember that crash at Spa coming up Raidillon last year (was it F3 as well?)?

I'm still pissed off that they didn't do that in turn 2 at Mosport when they paved that runoff zone; completely neutered the corner and everyone takes advantage of it. Every start/restart is a farce now. They left a grass strip in turn 8, so why not in turn 2 as well?

I saw that and the problem with the F2 and F3 cars is that they dont run at the same ride hight as the F1 cars that sausage kerb was always gonna be a nightmare and this proved it

Sad month, i see more planes on the road than cars, death, injuries ... :confused: and it's not prototype ...

Last edited:
So, the FIA is so good with this stuff - they've put copious amounts of money and brain power into making racing safer, so my inclination is to trust they know their business...that said, I have a hard time getting through my head that good old gravel traps weren't safer.

At any rate, just knowing that turn the way I (and most RD'ers) do, I just cannot imagine a sausage style curb being placed there. You put a sausage curb on the outside of a low speed turn where guys are going to be tempted to run wide on exit. Parabolica is like a flat NASCAR turn...would you put a sausage on the outside of a turn at Daytona or Talledega?!?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.0%