F2 | Hubert's #19 Retired From Formula 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The FIA has retired the #19 fielded by the late Anthoine Hubert.

French racing prospect Anthoine Hubert tragically lost his life in a terrifying accident at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit during the Formula One supporting F2 race in August, and in a mark of respect for the departed Frenchman, the FIA have confirmed his #19 will be permanently retired from F2 action.

A new award for best rookie has already been named in honour of the former BWT Arden driver, and the retirement of his racing number is another fitting tribute to mark the tragic loss of one of motorsports bright young talents.

Anthoine Hubert no19 Retired.jpg

Last edited:
I'm kind of on both sides with this decision.

On one hand I like the fact they're showing respect for a driver by doing this and I clearly understand why they're doing it.

On the other side I don't really know if the #19 was Hubert's number in the first place. He obviously ran it last year in F2 but he didn't choose to run it (unlike Bianchi's #17). He was given this number because Arden finished P9 in the 2018 F2 Championship.

Nice gesture though, absolutely respectable. RIP!

It's not the first time, and probably not the last, this i happening. A few times in Indycar if i remember (yeah i have internet, but i'm lazy this morning)

I don't understand why people have to argue if it's bad or good... The man is dead, it won't change anything, and he will be forgotten in few decades, only written on books and internet. But let's not forget it for the moment.

• Deleted member 205301

what if he was a defending champion this year and was running No.1, would they have retired that number?
In F2 (and F3), the #1 is not for the defending champion, but for the team wining team's championnship last year... maybe you don't know, but in F2/F3 if you won the title, you're not allowed to defend it, you have to quit the serie^^
@++

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 337 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing