F1Speed - Realtime Time and Speed Deltas for F12011/2010

Rob Gray

kikz
We all know there's a lack of telemetry in F1 2011/2010. There are mods to capture F1PerfView data and view telemetry, but it's all after the fact. What I wanted for F1 2011 was something like what I use to improve my times in iRacing: the fastastic iSpeed. F1Speed is basically a poor cousin clone of that.

F1Speed displays realtime:
  • Speed Delta (in km/hr)
  • Time Delta (down to one hundredth of a second) using both numerical display and a bar.
  • Fastest Lap
  • Current Lap

kM7x4.png

You need to select the session your currently racing and the fastest lap is saved for each different sesion at each circuit. The sessions are
  • Qualifying
  • Race
  • Practice
  • Time Trial

F1Speed saves your fastest lap to disk and will reload it when you load the program. F1Speed can be started at any time during the game and will start recording from the second it's open. If it's your first run and you haven't recorded a fastest lap, you won't get a display until the start of the second full lap.

I made the tool last weekend to assist me in quickly (rather than having to go to F1PerfView) diagnose how different setups and lines, braking points, use of DRS, etc impact on my lap times. All in prepration for the next season of the league I race in (starting next Sunday).

The app itself is installed from the web and will notify you whenever there's a new update (performing a check each time it starts). It's small, at around 40kb and the data files are about 250KB each lap (only stores a maximum of 76 laps - a lap for each circuit and lap type).

F1Speed won't run over the top of your fullscreen game and it can be run on another computer. Once you've instaleld it you'll need to make a change to repoint F1 2011/2010 at it.

To do this open the file "hardware_settings_config.xml". This is found in your My Documents folder in the subpath ./My Games/FormulaOne2011/hardwaresettings/.

Open the file in your favourite text editor and change the line
4kYWc.png

to be
7Uywg.png

Once this change has been made be sure to mark the file as 'read-only' or F1 2011 will overwrite your changes. Marking the file as readonly will not effect the game in any way.

Full details on my site here

Install from here

I hope this can be released! We though that could not be done, but if you really do, that's amazing :D
PD: How would it look on the game? Screens?

It's a seperate app that you need to run alongside the game. I run mine on my fourth monitor, which sits above my middle screen. The image in the post is a screenshot. For the technical details, if you're interested you can read here. I'm probably going to throw the code up on github soon so any nerdy nerd nerds (like me) can check out the source.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 359 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%