• 23000+ Members! Dear Guest, join the community on the official RD Discord server today.   learn more

F1 | Williams Sold To American Investment Firm

Patrik Marek

1000RPM
Premium
Oct 25, 2014
sad to hear this, and sad to see where Williams is at this point,
I hope i'm not right, but I think it will take a year or two, until they sell them and that will be the end of it

Copef1

100RPM
Nov 17, 2009
Hopefully it will continue on like McLaren. Bruce ran it until he died, then Teddy Mayer ran it for a while, then Ron Dennis, and now Zak Brown. All of whom have had success running the team, and Zak seems to have them heading in the right direction again. Hopefully the new managers at Williams can find a strong person to lead it back to the front. I miss the Nigel Mansell days.

JPL083

100RPM
Feb 7, 2017
Sad day to see.. Goodbye to Williams, name wont last there long even tho what they say. There should be some kinda heritage-thingy, like also with some races that they should be always there no matter what. It's going to be a very weird day not to see Williams name anywhere around. But many has left sadly, Benetton, Jordan, Arrows, Tyrrell, Minardi, Lotus, Sauber etc... Names that should be there always. :( But a British legendary team sold by daughter to a bunch of Americans... Newer though i will see this day..

BillyBobSenna

100RPM
Premium
Dec 30, 2010
Sad day to see.. Goodbye to Williams, name wont last there long even tho what they say. There should be some kinda heritage-thingy, like also with some races that they should be always there no matter what. It's going to be a very weird day not to see Williams name anywhere around. But many has left sadly, Benetton, Jordan, Arrows, Tyrrell, Minardi, Lotus, Sauber etc... Names that should be there always. :( But a British legendary team sold by daughter to a bunch of Americans... Newer though i will see this day..
Fortunately that bunch of Americans saved the team from closing it’s doors.

BillyBobSenna

100RPM
Premium
Dec 30, 2010
And its cool? Soon this legendary name is gone and on the grid there is going to be a team BurgerKing Racing or smth.. People just dont care anymore..
I would have loved to have seen the Williams family keep the team and take it to the front. As others have said, this is just another example of what F1 has become. Lets hope the cost cap makes a difference. I am skeptical. I think F1 needs much more radical ideas to keep the series healthy long term.

aka2k

500RPM
Sep 30, 2009
That's sad. Well, not so much because the best of F1 and the best of Williams is long gone by now.

kondor999

250RPM
Jul 7, 2010
If they operate like most private equity, expect to see them selling off parts of WGPE to begin recouping their investment. They own it now, and it's possible that the breakup value is why they invested in the first place.

I just hope they didn't borrow the cash to do the buyout itself, as that would saddle WGPE with unsustainable debt (it's a common ploy here in the USA, and has spelled the end of several companies that were highly profitable - and yet couldn't make their interest payments - like ToysRUS). Even if the purchasing firm itself is worth billions, they'll often borrow anyway to reduce their overall risk to zero (WGPE gets saddled with the debt instead).

It's a sad day because I can guarantee you they're in and out for the $$$ and nothing else. The moment it makes financial sense to disband the team, they will.

Leonardo Chaves

1000RPM
Oct 11, 2010
Well I was having quite a good friday until I read that. One of the great British teams, sold off to an investment firm, and not even a British one at that. Hopefully a British organization gets interested when it inevitably goes up for sale again soon. A condition of sale should have been to retain the Williams name. Very sad :(
Williams is still a somewhat valuable brand despite the fact that there's now a generation of fans(23 years since their last title) that thinks of them as a backmarker team, which is why the name is worth keeping.
The only exception to that is if they can find a manufacturer to team up/sell to.

Hor-hay

250RPM
Mar 4, 2015
After watching Frank Williams doco, lost respect for the man. Raced off his wife's money, buy car parts over feeding his family, selfish. Only got himself to blame for the accident, driving like a nut, could of killed innocent people.

Koen Verlinde

500RPM
Sep 12, 2011
After watching Frank Williams doco, lost respect for the man. Raced off his wife's money, buy car parts over feeding his family, selfish. Only got himself to blame for the accident, driving like a nut, could of killed innocent people.
So many drivers who finally made it (and even more who didn't) went to extreme lengths to try and get there.