Alright when was that again.....?

It's awesome, watch it!!! Willy is amazing - his story is great and his personality is like pure electricity. Supposedly a feature length movie deal has been rumored.

If anyone likes podcasts, check out Dinner with Racers. One of my favorite podcasts and they do a great 1 hr+ interview with Willy. He takes the Willy you see in the UPPITY documentary and turns it up to about 11, dude is wild!

Behind the Ali-like brashness, there is a highly intelligent, super driven individual. A remarkable guy.

One thing that is funny though, he definitely talks about having to face racism in his career but, as I recall, he said his time in Europe was great because he was treated like a driver, not a "black driver". I don't recall him mentioning racism as it related to his F1 test, but I could be misremembering.

Especially

Not sure if you're quoting me to agree or to raise some other point if I'm honest...

I can't hear people cheering or booing over a 115cc kart engine let alone a V6...

Lol, yeah - I have been watching old F1 replays from the early 80s with Murray doing the commentary. He'll say "and listen to this crowd when Reutemann comes through!" He'll go quiet for a few seconds (no small feat for Murray) and you can't hear anything but engine noise :laugh:

I'm sure in person you could get a good sense of fan reaction but, at least with early 80s audio tech, you can't hear squat but the cars.

I dunno, perhaps for drivers used to the adoration and the cheering it matters, but when you're in a kart race at a wet and soggy Buckmore Park you literally couldn't give a flying one who is there watching or not.
Exactly. The drivers may say nice things about the fans occasionally, but I don't think it makes one iota of difference to them if they are there or not - as soon as you drive out of the pits, the only thing you see is the track and the cars around you.

FIA can do what they like, they've got more money than sense, but I hope Silverstone do not waste any money on this ridiculous idea.

Totally agree, this isn't football where crowd noise is an intrinsic element of the sport. Don't think we need any more artificial measures in F1.

That flag was created out of a treasonable act. Not a thing to be proud of. Kind of waving swastikas in Germany because a great grandfather drove a taxi during the nazi regime. There is no legitimate excuse that flag even exists outside of a museum.
Want to see something truly disgusting look at the state flag of Mississippi, sure some creative fan will find that as a suitable work around.

Yesterday was supposed to be the NASCAR Cup race at the fastest (Yes Faster than Daytona) Speedway only to have a rain delay.
Now F1 can run in wet conditions, but if it is to heavy it is a safety issue and the race will be candled. In a season that barley has any events. Remember Holkenheim 2019 ?

And read today that in Bubba Wallace's garage at Talladega Raceway a noose was found. Disgusting! Need to institute a federal law in the USA that makes displaying the confederate flag or its likeness including references to lynching, the KKK, white supremacy in any form is a hate crime. Time to get serious about this once and for all.
And as far as the General Lee that flag should be covered with orange paint.

If that flag was flown as a symbol of pride in ancestry, it'd be one thing.
That doesn't seem to be most of the cases today.
It seems to be flown as an 'in your face...this is our sport...we own it' mindset.
I guess NASCAR wants to appear all-inclusive, hence the ban.
'ancestry' it lasted 5 years. That's about two olympic games.

That's not good.
While it does not impact driver salaries, the company's ability to operate long-term will probably be on their minds.
I hope Daniel didn't just pull a 'Hulkenberg'.

Last edited:
The Spa 24h are starting to sell tickets today. They believe there will be a spectator based race event at the end of October in the middle of Europe it seems. Interesting, I will follow this closely (though I think it's wise to not buy anything until a week before), wonder when other events will start opening up for spectators again.

McLaren are a big facility as big as Ferrari. And its not just F1 they do Healthcare, making medical beds that use the same pneumatic systems as suspension in F1. With this virus lots of money will be made in this area.
Williams or HASS i can understand but not McLaren and there team is strong so it is easy to find investors. They will shy away from teams further down the grid because they need more work to get competitive. Meaning you will have to go back to basics and build team from basics over a number of years as what hey are doing wrong is avoided.

image.jpg

full text and more pics: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...020-season-opener.4EiLjnHqlMgA4VCbteqVDx.html

The embattled Williams team have revealed the new colour scheme that will adorn their pair of FW43s this year, following the loss of title sponsor ROKiT during the enforced break from racing.

Despite having shown promise of improved pace during pre-season testing, the loss of a primary title sponsor has been a huge blow for the once great Williams team, coming off the back of the squad exploring options to increase funding or potentially even sell the famous brand outright, things are far from rosy in Grove as we prepare to kick start the Grand Prix season in Austria.

With George Russell returning for a second season alongside F1 rookie Nicolas Latifi, better things are hoped for the Mercedes powered team in 2020, and to be fair, the new car certainly looks the business in the freshly repainted white design:

Williams FW43 2.jpg

The new design for this year's FW43 released to the world on social media this morning - exactly a week before Free Practice One at the Red Bull Ring finally signifies the start of the much delayed new Grand Prix season.

Original Source: Williams

If you love Grand Prix racing, and want to chat about it with your fellow enthusiasts - head over to the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get a new thread up and in the wild!

WIlliams FW43 1.jpg

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 182 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 357 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing