Alright when was that again.....?

To be honest Williams could benefit from pulling out of F1 and rebuilding by running in other types of motorsport. They were a brilliant touring car team back in the day. So whats to stop them from doing that now? Other than pride.

It's a fair comment, trouble is their heritage is based so much around F1 that I can't see it happening.

It takes a brave team to walk away, a recent example is Rebeliion in WEC. A well loved team but they knew when the limit was reached and they knew it was time to make the move or they would suffer, and I admire them greatly for that.

It's a fair comment, trouble is their heritage is based so much around F1 that I can't see it happening.

It takes a brave team to walk away, a recent example is Rebeliion in WEC. A well loved team but they knew when the limit was reached and they knew it was time to make the move or they would suffer, and I admire them greatly for that.

It does take a brave team but as a team boss that holds many peoples livelihoods in your hands you kind of need to swallow the pride and do whats best for your staff/business.

Concerning Renault, good news are just in:

Title: Renault maintient sa présence en f1. (Renault remains in f1).

"Nous avons dit publiquement et nous confirmons que nous restons engagés en Formule 1, commente ainsi Clotilde Delbos, directrice général de Renault par intérim, citée par l'AFP. " :
"We have publicly stated and we confirm that we maintain our engagement in f1, comments Clotilde Delbos, Renault's interim general director, quoted by AFP."

"L’annonce d’une nouvelle réglementation sur le plafonnement des dépenses est très bonne pour nous car nous devrons moins investir dans cette discipline que certains de nos concurrents qui dépensent beaucoup d’argent. Donc nous sommes et restons en F1." :
"The announcement of a new set of rules on a spending cap is very good news for us as we won't have to invest as much as some of our rivals who spend large amounts of money. Thus we are in F1 to stay".

"Avec un avenir désormais clarifié, Renault pourra se concentrer sur un dossier d'envergure : celui du futur remplaçant à Daniel Ricciardo, en partance pour McLaren en 2021. "
"With its future now clear, Renault will be able to concentrate on a major question: replacing Daniel Ricciardo who's leaving for McLaren in 2021."

(Apologies if my translation is less than perfect).

Last edited:
The Williams story is looking more and more like Tyrrell's: humble beginnings, years of success, a slow decline and, eventually, a sale to a corporation.

It would be a big loss. I fondly remember 1979, when it suddenly became the car to beat in the second half of the season.

The current crisis will definitely shake things up in F1. Maybe I'm an optimist, but I think that there could be a good side to it: it could force all teams, including the biggest ones, to scale down spending. The budget cap now looks like a good idea and maybe the only way to save F1, making way for smaller teams. An excellent way of cutting down expenses would be to simplify the power units specifications.

Concerning Renault, good news are just in:

Title: Renault maintient sa présence en f1. (Renault remains in f1).

"Nous avons dit publiquement et nous confirmons que nous restons engagés en Formule 1, commente ainsi Clotilde Delbos, directrice général de Renault par intérim, citée par l'AFP. " :
"We have publicly stated and we confirm that we maintain our engagement in f1, comments Clotilde Delbos, Renault's interim general director, quoted by AFP."

"L’annonce d’une nouvelle réglementation sur le plafonnement des dépenses est très bonne pour nous car nous devrons moins investir dans cette discipline que certains de nos concurrents qui dépensent beaucoup d’argent. Donc nous sommes et restons en F1." :
"The announcement of a new set of rules on a spending cap is very good news for us as we won't have to invest as much money as some of our rivals who spend large amounts of money. Thus we are in F1 to stay".

"Avec un avenir désormais clarifié, Renault pourra se concentrer sur un dossier d'envergure : celui du futur remplaçant à Daniel Ricciardo, en partance pour McLaren en 2021. "
"With its future now clear, Renault will be able to concentrate on a major question: replacing Daniel Ricciardo who's leaving for McLaren in 2021."

(Apologies if my translation is less than perfect).

To be honest concerning big car companies like Renault remaining in F1 rather than saving employees jobs in other parts of the industry is pretty disgraceful. Motorsport should come last. Not like Renault promote themselves as being top of their game with F1.

The problem is if you sell the team you have to keep the name. If you loose rights to the WILLIAMS name you loose stats like starts wins and championships. These are big numbers. A investor is the way to keep it in the family otherewise it will be a new team starting from scratch with acess to factory and parts maybee employees. But it wont be Williams.
The key man was Patric Head he was more important to the team than Frank. As a Engineer he is somone who made the team function but hes retired and probably to old school for todays way of running a team. Williams have failed to adapt to the modern eara's way of doing things. You have to mouve with the times or you will fall backwards in F1.

It's quite difficult to attract title sponsors when you're the undisputed worst team on the grid, no surprise there.

I wonder who will step up to the plate to take over the financial burden here. I could see Mercedes maybe helping in some way, as they have a young driver in the team that they're investing in. There are also a few billionaires out there who have been waiting for this exact situation ever since Force India went under...

(Maybe we could convince Jeff Bezos to give back some of his trillions he got from Corona to sponsor Williams?)

Personally, I'd love to see a brand like BMW attach themselves to Williams again. They've had some successful years in partnerships like that. Probably not many takers on that side of things at the moment, though.

I have no doubt Williams will survive this somehow, but what will they look like on the other side is the question.

The problem is if you sell the team you have to keep the name. If you loose rights to the WILLIAMS name you loose stats like starts wins and championships. These are big numbers. A investor is the way to keep it in the family otherewise it will be a new team starting from scratch with acess to factory and parts maybee employees. But it wont be Williams.
The key man was Patric Head he was more important to the team than Frank. As a Engineer he is somone who made the team function but hes retired and probably to old school for todays way of running a team. Williams have failed to adapt to the modern eara's way of doing things. You have to mouve with the times or you will fall backwards in F1.

Not being funny but you know exactly what would happen if they kept the name you'd get some rich middle eastern moron buy the team that isnt really interested in F1 and just use it to make him look good.

At some point I have to wonder if it's best to just put them out of their misery. They're been strung along for years now with half baked sponsorship and leadership. Let the team retire with dignity like an old athlete.

Been a life long Williams fan and have some mates in the team too. A sad day but to be honest I've been expecting this news for the last few years. Sat here sad as hell with my Martini Williams top on :(

Its good to see that the Willi's will be out to play this year though :p

Truly sad day for F1 history, but not sadder than the death of the legend in their car. It is what it is I guess, hope they figure something out to keep it in the family.

• Céline Dion
  • Ryan Reynolds
  • Drake
  • Justin Bieber
  • William Shatner

I know (or hope) it’s a joke...but they’re not “Bailout an F1 team” rich AFAIK; Celine Dion is maybe the closest but umm...yea probably not her cup of tea.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 81 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 59 9.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 39 6.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 14.4%