F1 | Williams Confirm Little Known Roy Nissany as Official Test Driver

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Struggling former World Champions Williams have made the surprise announcement that Israeli F2 driver Roy Nissany will perform Official Test Driver duties for the team in 2020.

Having endured another difficult year in Formula one during 2019, the second consecutive season the once great team found themselves rooted firmly to the bottom of the constructors championship, Williams Racing have confirmed F2 regular Roy Nissany has joined the team in the role of Official Test Driver for the year ahead.

Having made a largely inauspicious debut with the squad at the post-season Abu Dhabi test at the end of last year, the ROKiT Williams Racing team have now confirmed the 25-year-old F2 driver will join junior racers Jamie Chadwick and Dan Tictum at the under pressure British outfit, support race regulars George Russell and Nicolas Latifi in the season ahead.

Speaking about the announcement, Roy Nissany said;

“I am thrilled to become Official Test Driver for ROKiT Williams Racing. This is also a landmark for motorsport in Israel. When I tested for the team in Abu Dhabi in December, I instantly felt comfortable in the car and part of the team. The experience that I will gain this year, immersing myself with Williams will prove invaluable and I’m looking forward to getting started, both on and off the track.”

Williams have also confirmed the youngster will get seat time in the new car this season, taking over driving duties during Free Practice One at three as yet unspecified Grand Prix, alongside a scheduled run during testing. Williams will also carry the Israel Start-Up logo for the duration of the race weekends when Nissany takes part in opening practice.

2019 W Series champion Jamie Chadwick and former Red Bull junior Ticktum remain with the team this year, with Nissany performing the majority of driving duties and acting as first reserve should either race driver be unable to participate in a Grand Prix weekend.

Original source: Williams F1

Want to know more about the world of Grand Prix racing? Start a thread in the Formula One sub forum here at RD, and ask our epic community to be your guide!

Williams Confirm Nissany for 2020 1.jpg
Williams Confirm Nissany for 2020 2.jpg

This is proof of how far Williams have fallen from grace, this clown was a huge amount of seconds off the other drivers at the end of season Abu Dhabi test. Williams must be highly desperate for coin if they are prioritising this guy. You don't see top teams doing this. They pick decent reserves to help push them forward in performance not to prop up their bank balance. It is a very short sighted solution

As difficult as it sounds...given their history of winning F1 Championships, it may be time to 'call' it.
Williams and McLaren were so arrogant in times past. Drivers would have to take way less just to drive something capable of winning a title.
Guess the shoe is now on the other foot...for Williams anyway.

Never heard of them, but will reserve judgement. Who knows.

However, if the driving force is indeed $ as the speculative then this is indeed becoming quite the farce and sadly increasingly prevalent in motorsport :/

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 104 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 278 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 405 40.1%