F1 | Watch As Verstappen Completes First Lap On "New" Zandvoort

You can see 7 on dashboard along main straight
F1 2012 had 7 gears ;)
Plus he is hardly driving it

P.S. I assumed there would be one DRS for main straight so if you got good run on someone off bank it
should be possible to at least get beside and out-brake into T1
DRS zone will already start in the Arie Luyendijkbocht because of the banking in that corner.

Yesterday there were the first races on the new circuit already and drivers like Tom Coronel and Jeroen Bleekemolen reported that it was difficult to find the new ideal line. There seem to be multiple now. They also said the circuit changed more than just the 2 corners that have a banking now (e.g. other curbs). And... overtaking has become easier on several places. There was also the first big crash, where a Porsche went over the crash barrier!:confused:

Last edited:
Not to bad for an F1 conversion. They certainly kept the original feeling of the track and did their best to avoid any asphalt oceans.

dat mag ik wel!

Last edited:
Watch as Niels Heusinkveld drives the new Zandvoort.
This is cutting edge technology right here, to recreate this new track on a level, never seen before!

Oh wow, that brought back some memories, 4D sports driving on the PC, lol

https://gamesnostalgia.com/game/stunts

I remember creating incredibly tough tracks on this and then seeing if myself or my mate could complete then, lol

The track editor was great fun, God it looks very very old now! haha.

as a dutch man, i have mixed feelings about this track. track looks good, but overtaking possibilities are not that great. but you'll never know before a race will start, it can't be more worse then monaco:speechless:

Liberty Media have for a long time been saying how much they would like to bring back the classic tracks. Fine in theory but reality sadly is different. In it's heyday Zandvoort hosted some classic races but, one has to remember that the cars and the drivers were oceans apart from the current crop of molly coddled mamby pambies. During the 50s and 60s the cars and circuit were perfectly matched. By the 70s it was showing it's age as cars became wider and faster. Modern F1 cars are just not suited to these old tracks. Red Bull Ring is probably an exception but it is a much newer circuit than Zandvoort. The biggest losers in all this are the grass roots enthusiasts who have lost yet another good facility to the money grabbers of F1. A GP only runs for one weekend in a season and history has shown that in most cases the host circuit loses money. They rely on the grassroots racers to pay the bills and the spectators who attend these meetings. Club racers generally don't like GP tracks, They are flat, featureless and for some classes virtually flat out for most of the lap. Spectator numbers are often lower and circuit owners are struggling to make ends meet. I get the idea of trying to recapture the past but sorry Liberty Media in my book you've got it wrong. F1 desparately needs stability. I would impose a strict cost cap to encourage new teams. Simplify the rules so that everyone can understand them, reduce tyre widths and the amount of aero on the cars and cut the number of races on the calander. Easily said I know but not impossible. The biggest thing they can do is retake control of the regulation making process. ie, not allowing the teams to dictate the rules. As is each of the big 5 are trying to fabricate the regs in such a way so as to give themselves the max advantage. But please, please, please leave the old circuits as they are. The new Zandvoort looks impressive and I'm in no doubt that is good to drive but I'll guarantee that the atmosphere one felt when pulling into the paddock has gone and can never be replaced

Liberty Media have for a long time been saying how much they would like to bring back the classic tracks. Fine in theory but reality sadly is different. In it's heyday Zandvoort hosted some classic races but, one has to remember that the cars and the drivers were oceans apart from the current crop of molly coddled mamby pambies. During the 50s and 60s the cars and circuit were perfectly matched. By the 70s it was showing it's age as cars became wider and faster. Modern F1 cars are just not suited to these old tracks. Red Bull Ring is probably an exception but it is a much newer circuit than Zandvoort. The biggest losers in all this are the grass roots enthusiasts who have lost yet another good facility to the money grabbers of F1. A GP only runs for one weekend in a season and history has shown that in most cases the host circuit loses money. They rely on the grassroots racers to pay the bills and the spectators who attend these meetings. Club racers generally don't like GP tracks, They are flat, featureless and for some classes virtually flat out for most of the lap. Spectator numbers are often lower and circuit owners are struggling to make ends meet. I get the idea of trying to recapture the past but sorry Liberty Media in my book you've got it wrong. F1 desparately needs stability. I would impose a strict cost cap to encourage new teams. Simplify the rules so that everyone can understand them, reduce tyre widths and the amount of aero on the cars and cut the number of races on the calander. Easily said I know but not impossible. The biggest thing they can do is retake control of the regulation making process. ie, not allowing the teams to dictate the rules. As is each of the big 5 are trying to fabricate the regs in such a way so as to give themselves the max advantage. But please, please, please leave the old circuits as they are. The new Zandvoort looks impressive and I'm in no doubt that is good to drive but I'll guarantee that the atmosphere one felt when pulling into the paddock has gone and can never be replaced
People use to say that F1 cars are some kind of "laboratory to the auto makers", but I don't know what can you develop using that much aero (not even hypercars can have as much DF as an F1... maybe not as much as even a F2 or F3), slick tires and too much complicated engines (power systems).

IMHO... F1 could improve if they reduce DF, use street legal tires and less complicated power systems. Maybe reducing the strictness of driver's conduct rules can help either, because we can't blame the folks (that still are a bunch of yellow bellies) for all of the boring races when there are rules (that the drivers could fight to change instead of enforcing them) that castrate those who dares.

And I really don't think that a car that needs a special kind of racetrack is an accomplishment. F1 don't need to go full WRC (even if that could be potentially very cool) but, IMHO², when the only "suitable" circuits for a category are tilkedromes there is something very wrong there.

"Impossible" because modern F1 drivers are a bunch of yellow belies. Give cars to fellows like Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet and the magic will happen.
Not even Mansell could overtake Alesi at Suzuka 94 and he did try HARD. It was actually one of the most iconic duels of that year.

You may dispise any F1 driver as much as you want, but you shouldn't point to the drivers but rather the cars, the infrastructure and the consequences involved.

Not even Mansell could overtake Alesi at Suzuka 94 and he did try HARD. It was actually one of the most iconic duels of that year.

You may dispise any F1 driver as much as you want, but you shouldn't point to the drivers but rather the cars, the infrastructure and the consequences involved.
Read my other post, please.

"Impossible" because modern F1 drivers are a bunch of yellow belies. Give cars to fellows like Nigel Mansell and Nelson Piquet and the magic will happen.
These old iconic drivers would not be able to be faster than the current drivers. They probably freak out from the amount of buttons on the steeringwheel. Or from the immense media pressure. Or from the fully monitored 24/7 eat and sleep and training schedules.
Compared to what F1 is now, the drivers were amateurs in the previous century.

These old iconic drivers would not be able to be faster than the current drivers. They probably freak out from the amount of buttons on the steeringwheel. Or from the immense media pressure. Or from the fully monitored 24/7 eat and sleep and training schedules.
Compared to what F1 is now, the drivers were amateurs in the previous century.
Yeah... and Messi is better than Pelé.

Yeah... and Messi is better than Pelé.
Yes Messi would probably beat Pelé. Maybe not in raw talent, but in how the game evolved and how they prepare for sports.
Physically and mentaly you can not compare action sports over decades.
Look at 70's soccer footage.
Those guys had skinny legs (compared to now) and half of them would still smoke and drink loads of beer after the match.
Media and social presure nowadays is also much more intense.

So the Messi from now against the Pelé from the 70's would be beaten by the current Messi.
As it is a team sports, current Real Madrid would wipe the floor with Real Madrid of 30 years ago.
Just as a Formula 1 from those days is about as fast as a current GT3, but no match for a modern F1.

btw. why do you use extreme size font to quote me?
I got good eyes, we dont communicate with each other in this way.

Last edited:
btw. why do you use extreme size font to quote me?
I got good eyes, we dont communicate with each other in this way.
On the post editor you have a "T with arrows" that set the font size of highlighted text.

Yes Messi would probably beat Pelé. Maybe not in raw talent, but in how the game evolved and how they prepare for sports.
Physically and mentaly you can not compare action sports over decades.
Look at 70's soccer footage.
Those guys had skinny legs (compared to now) and half of them would still smoke and drink loads of beer after the match.
Media and social presure nowadays is also much more intense.

So the Messi from now against the Pelé from the 70's would be beaten by the current Messi.
As it is a team sports, current Real Madrid would wipe the floor with Real Madrid of 30 years ago.
Just as a Formula 1 from those days is about as fast as a current GT3, but no match for a modern F1.
Please... the game is called futebol (x5), fútbol (x5), calcio (x4), fußball (x4) or football (x3), not other word is accepted in a cult, civilized and enriched debate, lol. That said:

I understand your point about the difficulty to compare different eras of sport, but it's not an abstract idea to agree that if even a bunch of fat nerds can manage to press their wheel's buttons, past times champions could do the same on actual race cars. To me it's more feasible an old school be fast on a modern car than a modern driver be fast on an old one.

Guys like Senna, Andretti, Surtees, Hindt, Ickx, Hill, Fittipaldi and Piquet were very fast with everything they drove. They didn't had the moderns training regime of nowadays, but if they had (Senna kind of invented the modern racing driver's regime) for sure would be even faster. And they driven much more exhaustive and unreliable machines on much more dangerous tracks. How can you even imagine that modern F1 drivers are better than that?

And the driving attitude. Hamilton have it... Baby Verstappen possibly will get there (even if not become a champion)... but guys like Vettel, Rosberg and Button are just bureaucrats on wheels. They never take a risk and never try to push their machines a little more... they just won because they had better cars. Modern drivers, in general, are afraid to do mistakes because they were raised on an overprotective racing era. Not blamming them... I believe that if Button were a driver on the 60s he would be, at least, as good as G. Villeneuve, because their stats are almost the same... the difference is that the good ol'Gilles knew how to put a show and that is what make people get in love with motor racing.

Last edited:
On the post editor you have a "T with arrows" that set the font size of highlighted text.

Please... the game is called futebol (x5), fútbol (x5), calcio (x4), fußball (x4) or football (x3), not other word is accepted in a cult, civilized and enriched debate, lol. That said:

I understand your point about the difficulty to compare different eras of sport, but it's not an abstract idea to agree that if even a bunch of fat nerds can manage to press their wheel's buttons, past times champions could do the same on actual race cars. To me it's more feasible an old school be fast on a modern car than a modern driver be fast on an old one.

Guys like Senna, Andretti, Surtees, Hindt, Ickx, Hill, Fittipaldi and Piquet were very fast with everything they drove. They didn't had the moderns training regime of nowadays, but if they had (Senna kind of invented the modern racing driver's regime) for sure would be even faster. And they driven much more exhaustive and unreliable machines on much more dangerous tracks. How can you even imagine that modern F1 drivers are better than that?

And the driving attitude. Hamilton have it... Baby Verstappen possibly will get there (even if not become a champion)... but guys like Vettel, Rosberg and Button are just bureaucrats on wheels. They never take a risk and never try to push their machines a little more... they just won because they had better cars. Modern drivers, in general, are afraid to do mistakes because they were raised on an overprotective racing era. Not blamming them... I believe that if Button were a driver on the 60s he would be, at least, as good as G. Villeneuve, because their stats are almost the same... the difference is that the good ol'Gilles knew how to put a show and that is what make people get in love with motor racing.
Racedrivers will be racedrivers, without any protection still 20 of them would be on the startline and another 50 are waiting in line to for a new seat in F1. Even if there would be fatalities every year. But being a F1 driver now can't be compared to 30 years ago.
Probably half of the old F1 field would crack under public/media pressure and extremely full agenda's these drivers have nowadays.

Racedrivers will be racedrivers, without any protection still 20 of them would be on the startline and another 50 are waiting in line to for a new seat in F1. Even if there would be fatalities every year. But being a F1 driver now can't be compared to 30 years ago.
Probably half of the old F1 field would crack under public/media pressure and extremely full agenda's these drivers have nowadays.
Maybe half of the actual F1 field would crack with the poor conditions of old days. The truth is that it's all speculation. I'm talking about the past champions and folks that put on a show, not guys like Nakajima or de Cesaris. The thing is: The actual F1 prestige guys that are bureaucrats, not showmans... Hamilton is an aberration on this pattern, as Alonso before him and few other drivers that aren't champions (as Maldonado at his time, and Verstappen today). And F1 drivers today usually are folks that came on a straight open wheel career and, since on F1, don't drive anything else... the "Pre-Senna Era" drivers (included him on a lesser degree) commonly driven another categories parallel (or at sequel) to their F1 careers, and get very good results there. Today there is not even talk about double or triple crown, because it maybe impossible to actual drivers to be so versatile (and real good, at the same time)... there were a folk that were great on F1 and won the TT Isle the Man at the same time.

If modern drivers were raised on a less "enterprise-driven" racing culture and more "garagist/plain-competition" one, they should be, IMHO, much more interesting sportsmen. I'm not a car maker shareholder, just a racing fan... I have enough bureaucracy on my real life, don't need to see it on my entertainment.

Maybe half of the actual F1 field would crack with the poor conditions of old days. The truth is that it's all speculation. I'm talking about the past champions and folks that put on a show, not guys like Nakajima or de Cesaris. The thing is: The actual F1 prestige guys that are bureaucrats, not showmans... Hamilton is an aberration on this pattern, as Alonso before him and few other drivers that aren't champions (as Maldonado at his time, and Verstappen today). And F1 drivers today usually are folks that came on a straight open wheel career and, since on F1, don't drive anything else... the "Pre-Senna Era" drivers (included him on a lesser degree) commonly driven another categories parallel (or at sequel) to their F1 careers, and get very good results there. Today there is not even talk about double or triple crown, because it maybe impossible to actual drivers to be so versatile (and real good, at the same time)... there were a folk that were great on F1 and won the TT Isle the Man at the same time.

If modern drivers were raised on a less "enterprise-driven" racing culture and more "garagist/plain-competition" one, they should be, IMHO, much more interesting sportsmen. I'm not a car maker shareholder, just a racing fan... I have enough bureaucracy on my real life, don't need to see it on my entertainment.

If you have 17! races a year, plus a handfull of practices is quite a difference with the 10 GP's they had than.
And not having to be send to all kinds of promotion events in between.
Most F1 teams (and their insurance companies) don't allow their driver to compete in other series.
The stakes are to high, investments to large, if a driver would get injured (Kubica is good example).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back