Alright when was that again.....?

In a surprise comment, 4-time World Champion Sebastian Vettel has confirmed he never held contract extension talks with the Scuderia, only finding out he is being dropped via a call from Mattia Binotto.
  • Vettel never started new contract negotiations
  • The German informed by his team he will not be renewed beyond 2020
  • The 32-year-old is currently evaluation his option to remain in Formula One beyond this year
News that Sebastian Vettel will be ending his association with the legendary Ferrari brand at the conclusion of this season came as something of a surprise to many in the Formula One paddock back in May, and now the Grand Prix circus returns to action, it sounds like the man himself was also taken off guard by the move.

Vettel mid.jpg

When the announcement dropped, many believed negotiations had broken down between the two parties - however the 32-year-old German claims contract talks never began, with Ferrari clearly stating their intention to go another direction with their driving pairing next season.

“There was no sticking point,” said Vettel when quizzed about what brought potential talks to a conclusion. “It was obviously a surprise to me when I got the call from Mattia [Binotto, Ferrari Team Principal] when he told me that there was no further intention for the team to continue. We never got into any discussions – there was never an offer on the table and therefore there was no sticking point.”
Vettel mid 2.jpg

• Vettel willing to continue in Grand Prix racing
  • The driver is in no rush to secure his future
  • Options outside of F1 could be considered if an appropriate drive cannot be found
With the ongoing Covid-19 situation putting Formula One in an unprecedented situation of having to start the season in July, Vettel has been unable to show his worth out on circuit following a difficult 2019, so far denying the German an opportunity to put himself in the shop window for a competitive seat in the sport next year.

However, the 2010, 11, 12 and 13 World Champion is relatively relaxed about his future in racing, and plans to take his time assessing future options both inside and outside of the sport. when quizzed in Austria about his negotiations with other teams in the paddock, Vettel confirmed talks have yet to begin with potential employers for 2021.

“At the moment I’m not really having any,” said Vettel. “Looking forward, obviously I want to make sure I make the right decision for myself and my future. I think I have a very competitive nature, I have achieved a lot in the sport.
I’m motivated and willing to achieve more. To do so I need the right package and the right people around me, so that’s what I’m looking out for at the moment".

Vettel leaves ferrari.jpg

It is clear that Vettel doesn't plan on settling for any contract once he leaves Ferrari, and the driver has even hinted he would be willing to completely walk away from Formula One racing should he fail to secure a suitable alternative going forward.

"If the right opportunity should arise then it is quite clear [what I will do]. If that’s not the case then I’ll probably have to look out for something else.”

A winner of 53 Grand Prix and four World Championships in his 240 F1 starts, and at the relatively young age of just 32, it would be a massive shame if the likeable German can't find a suitable place on the grid next season, and despite his past success, the driver will have to perform strongly this year in order to convince teams he is worth taking on board for next year.

Original Source: F1.com

Got questions or comments about the sport we love? Lucky you, we have a sub forum for that - head over to the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and start a thread today!

Vettel Footer.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, have to agree. He’s had chances in the last few seasons and dare I say it Alonso might have got over the line or pushed Lewis further so it’s a fair decision considering how Charles is doing. But we’ll see the old guard completely disappear in the next 3-5 yrs

Vettel had manny mistakes...in the last seasons and no wdc. Ferrari go now for young tallented drivers. But I hope he can reset his self this short season. Like to see him back next season.

I think I would act like Ferrari and get the emerging young talent instead of paying so much for Vettel. Feasible also considering his series of driver mistakes in the last few years.

Last edited:
Ferrari are some cold son's of biscuits. They dump drivers when they no longer find them useful, and yet they barely when a race never mind a championship, or at least without cheating that is....

Vettel is way above his peak and turned from Mr. RedBull niceguy into an absolutly Ferrari asshole. The pressure to win the title for the Scuderia is way to high for him, so he permanently lost control and behaves like a 4 year old kid. 5 Minutes of his teamradio has more "beebs" then a complete rap album. He thinks he is the king of the road with his red piece of sh*t and everybody has to move aside when he comes from behind. Not to mention his verbal attacks to Charlie or the crash with Hamilton under savety car in Baku and dozens of other incidents . The end of his career is the result of his behaviour.

Both Schumacher and Senna won the championship with a weaker car. Hamilton has ALWAYS been in the best car, yet has lost titles to Raikonnen and Rosberg. It's a shame that when Hamilton wins this farcical year, he will match Schumacher.
Hamilton is a good driver, but he has been beyond lucky. He is nowhere near as good as Prost, Senna, Clark, G.Villeneuve, Stewart.

Both Schumacher and Senna won the championship with a weaker car. Hamilton has ALWAYS been in the best car, yet has lost titles to Raikonnen and Rosberg. It's a shame that when Hamilton wins this farcical year, he will match Schumacher.
Hamilton is a good driver, but he has been beyond lucky. He is nowhere near as good as Prost, Senna, Clark, G.Villeneuve, Stewart.

agree! But the first Benneton from schumacher was also a little illegal

Are you sure you didn't forget something? ;) Hamilton hasn't always been in the best car. In many of the RB years, the RB car was not only the best, it was simply overpowering -- and in those years that he wasn't in the "best car", he usually stacked up pretty well against significantly more senior teammates.

Comparing him unfavourably to Schumacher is only even more off the mark: Schumacher was probably the most talented driver of his generation, but nonetheless a dirty one, and not one immune to cheating. On the other hand, Hamilton has almost equaled his record with more or less a clean record. Saying "they won because they're in the best car" is really selective. Using that line of argument means you have to discount almost all of the multiple world champions.

Honestly, comparing modern day F1 drivers to historic figures is completely meaningless. F1 is completely different now, and so is what's needed from the drivers.

Last edited:
I hope he find some seat somewhere, I do quite like him. Not surprsied that Ferrari wasn't replacement though , as Seb won't be number2 ( my speculations )

might be fun to see him in FIA WEC, but that's also on a bit of downward spiral imo

Ferrari are some cold son's of biscuits. They dump drivers when they no longer find them useful...
So, like every other motorsports team that want to try and win races then? You need to remember that F1 teams are about money, and money comes from winning. Drivers are nothing more than assets, employees that are hired to do a job. If they aren't doing that job then they let them go, just like in any other business. Cold yes, but that's the way of things and is not in any way unique to Ferrari.

Personally, I think it was about time. Hate me if you like, but I've never rated Vettel as a driver anyway. He won most of his championships in a supremely dominant car, and even then it was occasionally a close run thing with a driver in a car that was decidedly uncompetitive. He went to pieces the moment the regs changed and his car wasn't perfect, couldn't adapt. He's had a couple of good chances since and has contributed heavily to ruining them both. Sorry, but he's yesterday's news.

I don't much care to see him elsewhere on the grid either, to be honest. I think he'd just be taking up a place which could be given to a more deserving young up-and-coming driver instead. Vettel should seek other options elsewhere.

So he was basically waiting for Ferrari to come to him because of his past accomplishments ?

I don't follow F1 closely any more but I can check numbers. He won 14 races with Ferrari in total. He won 13 alone in 2013 (his last championship). 2019 was his worst season with Ferrari.

I know it's not the driver alone but can you really blame Ferrari ? And I am not a fan of either side in this story.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 179 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 495 39.2%