Alright when was that again.....?

I think they would probably have to rev match on the way down, but I think some manual gear boxes can be changed (up) without the clutch if you change the gear at the right time.

but I think some manual gear boxes can be changed (up) without the clutch if you change the gear at the right time.

Given the way Kimi got the car rolling with no clutch in a SkySportsF1 video "Kimi vs Vettel | Duel driving slalom challenge!"
I'd agree with this. There are likely a myriad of other small tricks that aren't recorded or will be difficult to replicate, after all every chassis had its quirks with the differences between some models and the driving techniques that worked being vast.

Did the drivers have to use the clutch for every gear change or only for starts?
Did they drivers use the heel-toe technique on downshifts?
Is there any photo of the pedals on these cars? (I haven't found any)
As far as I know, they would use the clutch for down-shifting (heel and toe method for example) though Hewland gearboxes of that time would take upshifts without the clutch (due to them being a 'dog box'), as Turk mentions above - for this you need to change up lightning-fast, and feels brutal as Hell!:confused:

Lotus 49, late 60's pedal box:

lotus 49c.JPG

Below: 60's F2 Lotus 4 pedal layout - Jim Clark wanted to try left foot braking so the two middle pedals are linked with the same pivot shaft, allowing either foot to be used.
f2 lotus 4pedal.JPG

.....yes I know it was a late reply :laugh:

I remember an article in a motorsport mag of the time where Michele Alboreto described a lap in his 1985 ferrari where he was double de-clutching on downshifts for corners, can't remember the track, but thought "what the hell is double de-clutching"! It's a heel and toe shift with an added neutral phase between shifts. most older F1 cars up till the 80s would have used this technique, though it wasn't strictly necessary by the time of his use of it.

Im that old where you also had to "double clutch" in normal road cars because they didnt have synchromesh gearboxes - but I also continued to use it to reduce the wear on the synchromesh rings on later gearboxes. :whistling:
The main point in this technic is that you need to disengage the clutch when you transfer to neutral - before you move the gear lever further to the target gear.

In a surprising move, Ferrari have confirmed four time Formula One World Champion Sebastian Vettel will depart the team at the end of the year - opening up what is sure to be one of the most hotly contested seats in recent seasons.

Having enjoyed incredible success with Red Bull in his early career, many thought the switch to Ferrari for Sebastian Vettel would yield the beginning of a Schumacher esque period of dominance for the famous red team, however when the curtain closes on his five year relationship with the Scuderia at the end of this season, the combination of Vettel and Ferrari will always be known as a case of what might have been.

"My relationship with Scuderia Ferrari will finish at the end of 2020,” said Vettel. “In order to get the best possible results in this sport, it’s vital for all parties to work in perfect harmony.
“The team and I have realised that there is no longer a common desire to stay together beyond the end of this season. Financial matters have played no part in this joint decision. That’s not the way I think when it comes to making certain choices and it never will be.

“What’s been happening in these past few months has led many of us to reflect on what are our real priorities in life. One needs to use one’s imagination and to adopt a new approach to a situation that has changed. I myself will take the time I need to reflect on what really matters when it comes to my future.
“Scuderia Ferrari occupies a special place in Formula 1 and I hope it gets all the success it deserves. Finally, I want to thank the whole Ferrari family and above all its “tifosi” all around the world, for the support they have given me over the years.

“My immediate goal is to finish my long stint with Ferrari, in the hope of sharing some more beautiful moments together, to add to all those we have enjoyed so far."
At this stage it remains unclear what comes next for the likeable German driver, with seemingly few attractive options for continuing to fight at the very forefront of the Formula One grid from 2021 onwards.

With Leclerc locked down into a long term deal in red for the foreseeable future, the tantalising prospect of who could join the young charger is expected to be a key point of discussion in the days and weeks ahead.

Vettel leaves ferrari.jpg

I think this was to be expected, Leclerc is the future and it is the second time now that Vettel - as a four time world champion - lost against a young new talent. Would be nice though to still see him some more years, I think he's a good guy.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 100 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 385 39.8%