F1 | Verstappen Extends Red Bull Racing Contract

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Red Bull Racing have confirmed Max Verstappen has extended his contract with the team until the end of 2023 - locking down one of the most sought after drivers in the current field.

Max Verstappen has always looked destined to become one of the top drivers in Formula One, right from making his debut for Toro Rosso as a 17-year-old at the 2015 Australian Grand Prix. Having endured something of rough and tumble apprenticeship during his early years in Formula One, the now 22-year-old Dutchman really came of age in 2019 - leading to Red Bull offering the youngster a mega new contract to stay with the Austrian team for the next four seasons.

“It is fantastic news for the Team to have extended our agreement with Max up-to and including the 2023 season. With the challenge of the 2021 regulation changes on the horizon continuity in as many areas as possible is key. Max has proven what an asset he is to the Team, he truly believes in the partnership we have forged with our engine supplier Honda, and we are delighted to have extended our relationship with him.” said Team Principle Christian Horner of Verstappens extension.​
Verstappen Stays at Red Bull 1.jpg

2020 looked set to be a big year for driver contract renewals, with many of the top names in the sport out of contract at the end of the current year. However, with Leclerc and now Verstappen locking themselves down into long-term deals, two of the top teams in the sport now have megastar drivers within their ranks.

The future of Sebastian Vettel remains in doubt beyond the end of the new season, and six-time World Champion and Mercedes megastar Lewis Hamilton turns 35 this week... with both former champions at an interesting crossroads in their careers, and the next wave of talent locked into potentially top seats for the coming seasons, the jury remains out on how much motivation Vettel and Hamilton will have to remain in Grand Prix racing in the forseeable future...

Want to talk about Grand Prix racing? No worries, drop a new thread in the Formula One sub forum, and get the conversation with your fellow fans up and running!

Verstappen Stays at Red Bull 2.jpg

Last edited:
Red Bull was his only option to be a #1 driver at one of the top teams, with Lewis at Mercedes and Charles at Ferrari. I also don’t see Lewis going to Ferrari in 2021, except when Charles will fail/disappoint in 2020. So, I was not surprised about this and Max’s bank account will like it as well.:D

The folks at Red Bull are not dumb. When you have a once-a-generation talent like Verstappen, you hold on to him at all cost. Same with Mercedes with Lewis: sign the guy to a long term contract, that way you get stability and you can design the car to his exact needs. And you prevent him from going to the competition. If I was running Mercedes, I would sit down with Lewis’ manager and offer him a contract until the 2024 season.

The folks at Red Bull are not dumb. When you have a once-a-generation talent like Verstappen, you hold on to him at all cost. Same with Mercedes with Lewis: sign the guy to a long term contract, that way you get stability and you can design the car to his exact needs. And you prevent him from going to the competition. If I was running Mercedes, I would sit down with Lewis’ manager and offer him a contract until the 2024 season.
Mercedes is not sure they will still be around in 3 years.
They might just do the engines and use McLaren as their main team.
Not much to prove anymore in F1 for them.

I find it hard to believe that Hamilton would leave Mercedes at this point of his career. He is so much associated with the brand that they will retain him even if he retires from active driving.

Verstappen probably has a clause that would allow him to step out of his contract if RBR does not build a car capable of a world title, so his signing does not necessarily lock up the market for 2021.

Makes sense for Max to stay at Redbull, he feels comfortable there, Honda are delivering and he can be part of the teams plan to build for 2021.

Leclerc signed too. Leaving Lewis next...... Can't see Lewis going to Ferrari

Driver market is now all about Lewis, Vettel and Riccardo

Last edited:
Good call, contracts out of the way for 2 young drivers. They can concentrate only on track. To add about Honda, last 3 seasons in constructor championship:
Honda 30-33-85 points (taking best non-alien team Mcl-TR)
Merc 187-111-73 points (also best non-alien team FI-RP), so they are there

As for other contracts, Merc not having any driver signed for 2021. Is that true?:O_o: Just makes me believe more to Lewis->McLaren (as main Merc engined car again). Expecting fireworks between "friends" Sainz-Norris this season. Vettel either staying in Ferrari or retiring (dream result would be one of academy drivers showing Leclerc-Vandoorne-Hamilton F2 performance and going straight to main team, mastering new cars and being in the mix from start). :cool:

Now, bring on 2021, so we can enjoy again. :)

Max should stay put, Its all about his new team mate Allbon and how close the is to Max. He may even beat him to the flag. Though it is always said team mates have equal machinery i don't buy it. Max will have the best people on his side of the garage. Maybe access to small developments before Allbon. And more reliable components. Just like Michale Schumacher at Ferrari his team mates never got fair treatment because the team where behind Michale.

Max should stay put, Its all about his new team mate Allbon and how close the is to Max. He may even beat him to the flag. Though it is always said team mates have equal machinery i don't buy it. Max will have the best people on his side of the garage. Maybe access to small developments before Allbon. And more reliable components. Just like Michale Schumacher at Ferrari his team mates never got fair treatment because the team where behind Michale.

You enforce that if you are good,

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years