F1: To boo, or not to boo? Opinion roundup

I am a real world racer (albeit only at the amateur club levels) and this last Sunday I was involved in a local race where myself and my peers raced each other hard in the Kart Shifter class. This is a class where not all Karts in the field are equal and not all drivers possess the same skills. But that does not mean the guys at the front of the pack as well as the guys at the back weren't racing and racing hard.

Is the shifter class you race in the KZ-class? (asking out of pure curiosity since I used to race with gokarts)
Sorry for getting off-topic. :p

Amazes me just how little people know in here what makes a good driver.
Red bull do not race they just get to the end before everyone else.
This isn't racing at all,

What qualifications do you have to dictate to everyone else what is and is not racing? Question do you race? I don't mean race on computers? Do you have any real world racing experience? I ask this because anyone who is either active as a real world racer or raced in the past would never say such nonsense.

I am a real world racer (albeit only at the amateur club levels) and this last Sunday I was involved in a local race where myself and my peers raced each other hard in the Kart Shifter class. This is a class where not all Karts in the field are equal and not all drivers possess the same skills. But that does not mean the guys at the front of the pack as well as the guys at the back weren't racing and racing hard.

If you have real world racing experience, you should be ashamed of what you wrote above. But if you are some internet only guy, get real. You may think you are some racing expert, but in reality you are just some clueless partisan. Red Bull races ... just because they happen to have the best car right now does not mean they are not racing. Do you even have the faintest idea what taking a corner at 3 Gs is like let alone the 5-6 Gs the F1 drivers experience. What a joke.
Phew Okay I wasn't the only one thinking this way lol. I was too scared to say in case it turned sour! Done some Karting myself, not in any form of league or anything, more mates from university out for a fun weekend haha. The buzz and adrenaline is amazing but you're physically and mentally exhausted at the end of the day. Definitely worth it though :p

Is the shifter class you race in the KZ-class? (asking out of pure curiosity since I used to race with gokarts)
Sorry for getting off-topic. :p

My club level Shifter class is not really the same as the KZ-class (unless I am mistaken). It is kind of a free for all where engines and tires are open to whatever people want to run. We just have weight limits that must be observed at the end of each session. As a example most guys are running the Honda 125cc motor, but the top three finishers in our last race were using the ICC. These top three guys were so much faster than everyone else, but it also comes down to money. Those who have the money to rebuild their engines after every race, race the superior motors and those who have less money make do with what they have and accept the fact that not all the Karts are on the same level, Me I race a Rotax DD2 in the Shifter class, because locally there aren't enough DD2s to form our own field and my Kart has too much of an advantage over the traditional Rotax Max Karts. I am stuck in the middle where I am too fast for the traditional Rotax Max and not fast enough for the ICC Shifters. But rest assured I raced my heart out. I don't care if you are in the fastest or the slowest car/kart. If you are driving at the limit in a race where competitive passing is in play, you are racing.

It's a bit of a shambles really. You don't see boo'ing in Rally for Loeb, or the late McRae, and Burns. don't think i've seen it in Indycar or Nascar either. You don't see it in Tennis, unless the player is being un-sportsman like. it seems F1 is drawing supporters from football and boxing et al, where it is common place to boo the opposition. It's not wanted or called for and currently seems to be the only motorsport where it occurs. it needs to stop, especially now spectators are allowed on the track. Last thing we want is a brawl amongst different supports right beneath the podium
You havent watched NASCAR have you...

when Jeff Gordon was winning 10 races a season- he got boo'ed.. same with Johnson, Busch, Earnhardt...

you win a lot you get boo'ed.

Its because your just that much better than the rest.

The hole idea of a race is to see who has the best man and machine combination and who can get to the end of the allotted distance first.
But what is missing today that made the 60s,70s,80s and 90s so great to watch is the element of danger,competition between others to fight for the lead, adrenaline ,pressure,because it depended on 30% of the drivers skill to win unlike todays cars they only depend on 10% of the drivers skill to make a difference.
If they made a mistake back then there highly likely to die but today the safety is that high there is little risk to the drivers so removing the element of risk removes there achievements as a winning driver and makes them more of a passenger.
This vid sealed it for me in my opinion on the driver in question,
Little pressure of he goes.

Only experience I have if you can call it experience is computer games such as f1 or gt5,
Ive raced people online using cars with 100pp less and still won them,
That's the difference,
SV has 500pp everyone else has 450pp lol

I say BOO to RBR and them putting on boring races every single race meeting. It's too obvious that Vettel will win every single race. I hope that Kimi and Lewis can beat him next year.

Well Vettel deserves the 'BOO'. He's very unsporting. Has shown this on a number of occasions where he's disobeyed team orders, crashed into he's team mate and he's general 'stand offish' demeanor.

The hole idea of a race is to see who has the best man and machine combination and who can get to the end of the allotted distance first.
But what is missing today that made the 60s,70s,80s and 90s so great to watch is the element of danger,competition between others to fight for the lead, adrenaline ,pressure,because it depended on 30% of the drivers skill to win unlike todays cars they only depend on 10% of the drivers skill to make a difference.
If they made a mistake back then there highly likely to die but today the safety is that high there is little risk to the drivers so removing the element of risk removes there achievements as a winning driver and makes them more of a passenger.
This vid sealed it for me in my opinion on the driver in question,
Little pressure of he goes.

Only experience I have if you can call it experience is computer games such as f1 or gt5,
Ive raced people online using cars with 100pp less and still won them,
That's the difference,
SV has 500pp everyone else has 450pp lol
You seriously have no clue. Drivers today have no adrenaline? No pressure? Are you serious? The pressure is immense. The adrenaline is immense. 10% drivers skill? Again a random statistic you've pulled out of thin air. That is not true whatsoever. Put Vettel in a Torro Rosso and I bet you he would still manage to compete with the front runners, just not as easily. No danger in F1 today? Lies. Spa 2012. Grosjean's crash with Alonso at the start of the race. Had his car been 1 meter further to one side and he could have hit Alonso's head, and at that speed, ripping it straight off. So danger is still there. There is always an element of danger in cars doing 150-200 mph round a track.
Again look at the amount of crashes in the 60's/70's/80's etc. Now look at the amount of deaths in those years. The element of danger is still there, only technology has improved throughout the years to help protect drivers in a serious incident. Since you seem to believe being an F1 driver is so easy today, I ask you this...why are you not an F1 driver? Why is it so hard to become an F1 driver? Since they are only "passengers". They are the best of the best drivers. End of. As said before, if you think playing a computer game is realistic then you have never ever driven a car in your life. You must be a kid.

Turkish GP 2010 - The crash – a reprise of a collision between the two in Japan three years ago, when they were driving for rival teams – came on the 40th lap when Vettel attempted to overtake Webber on the inside and then turned right into him. He spun out of the race, while Webber went on to take third place behind the McLaren pair of Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button. The crash left Horner shaking his head in dismay while the chief designer, Adrian Newey, held his in his hands.

One way of looking at it.... - most blamed the young Golden Boy Vettel for the manoeuvre. Then Horner said, "They should have given each other more room," he said. Then he added: "Sebastian had a pace advantage on that tyre. Mark kept his line and fingered him." :confused:

You seriously have no clue. You must be a kid.

Im amazed you think he would win in a torro rosso, It don't surprise me you said that to be honest,
Sv fan are after all clueless on what a competitive race should be, All they see is there dream boy winning and it makes them feel good about themselves.
You never heard of a fare race ?
Red bull is destroying formula one it makes it boring when a car has such a huge advantage over everyone else.
Im dam sure it has nothing at all to do with the driver, Ive looked at his cockpit camera and his car has no surprises no understeer no oversteer just pure grip like its running on rails, He didn't get within 5 inches of the walls in the last race because he didn't need to.He don't need to take risks and push the limit of the car at all, He is just driving conservative and that is not racing.
Everytime red bull wins there damaging the sport because its boring.

Turkish GP 2010 - The crash – a reprise of a collision between the two in Japan three years ago, when they were driving for rival teams – came on the 40th lap when Vettel attempted to overtake Webber on the inside and then turned right into him. He spun out of the race, while Webber went on to take third place behind the McLaren pair of Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button. The crash left Horner shaking his head in dismay while the chief designer, Adrian Newey, held his in his hands.

One way of looking at it.... - most blamed the young Golden Boy Vettel for the manoeuvre. Then Horner said, "They should have given each other more room," he said. Then he added: "Sebastian had a pace advantage on that tyre. Mark kept his line and fingered him." :confused:
But Vettel didn't deliberately crash into Webber. He must've thought he would move for him or something crazy. I don't know but he didn't deliberately take out webber to win a championship or something. Mistakes happen.

You seriously have no clue. You must be a kid.

Im amazed you think he would win in a torro rosso, It don't surprise me you said that to be honest,
Sv fan are after all clueless on what a competitive race should be, All they see is there dream boy winning and it makes them feel good about themselves.
You never heard of a fare race ?
Red bull is destroying formula one it makes it boring when a car has such a huge advantage over everyone else.
Im dam sure it has nothing at all to do with the driver, Ive looked at his cockpit camera and his car has no surprises no understeer no oversteer just pure grip like its running on rails, He didn't get within 5 inches of the walls in the last race because he didn't need to.He don't need to take risks and push the limit of the car at all, He is just driving conservative and that is not racing.
Everytime red bull wins there damaging the sport because its boring.
Well considering someone like Ricciardo can place within the points in a Torro Rosso, yes I'm sure Vettel could compete for the front. And I know a LOT more about formula 1 than you do. After all I am doing an internship with McLaren in Woking working in their aerodynamics department. You seem to think that for a race to be a race, Adrian Newey shouldn't be allowed to do his job properly and make a good car? So he should go and make a car not as good as it could be deliberately just so that the race is more "exciting" for you. Btw....if the Red Bull is so good like you make out....how come Webber isn't challenging for the championship or up there with Alonso and Raikkonen?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back