F1 - The top Stories of the Weekend

The Hot Stories from this weekend so far, i will be updating the thread in my Second post which will have newer stories as they develop.

'New Jersey to host F1 street race'

renault-2011-monaco-street.jpg

Formula 1 will be heading to New Jersey in 2013, according to the Wall Street Journal, which expects an announcement to be made next week.

Rumours surfaced back in August that a race could take place in New Jersey, with the Manhattan skyline as a backdrop to the race, a scenario Bernie Ecclestone is very keen on.

A press conference has been scheduled at the Port Imperial in Weehawken on Tuesday, where an announcement is expetced to be made to confirm that F1 will race on a street circuit along the Hudson River, through West New York and Weehawken.
New Jersey governor Chris Christie and other local politicians will attend the meeting.

F1 will return to America in 2012 at a purpose built facility in Austin, Texas. It is believed that the second US race in New Jersey will be a back-to-back event with Canada in June, whilst Austin will tie-up with the Brazilian GP, as has been scheduled next year.

Provisional track layout revealed in August:
new-jersey-01.png

source

Toet returns to Sauber in aerodynamic role

The Sauber team has confirmed that Willem Toet will return to the outfit in his original role as head of aerodynamics.
The Dutchman held the role with the team between 2006 and 2009, but left following the departure of BMW - he voluntarily vacated his position due to sweeping staff cuts.
wind-tunnel-sauber-01.jpg

Toet will replace Seamus Mullarkey who requested a change of position. He will be in charge of aerodynamic research from November 14th.

"The British engineer favours more technical and less management-oriented assignments and will be in charge of Aerodynamic Research," read a statement.

source

Karthikeyan to replace Liuzzi in India
d11cdn63_2607922.jpg

Narain Karthikeyan will replace Tonio Liuzzi and not Daniel Ricciardo at HRT for next weekend's Indian GP.
Karthikeyan was dropped by the team ahead of the British GP to make way for Ricciardo. However, at the time there were reports that he would return to action at his inaugural home race, the Indian GP.
This was confirmed by HRT last month, who put Karthikeyan in the car in Friday's first practice at the Japanese and Korean GPs in order to get him up to speed.

And although it was initially thought that he would take his race-seat back from Ricciardo, HRT have confirmed that it is in fact Liuzzi who he will be filling in for.

"Driving in front of the home crowd cheering on is going to be a surreal experience. A once in a lifetime experience and I feel extremely fortunate," said Karthikeyan.

"There is a huge buzz around the Grand Prix already and I'm sure that it'll be a resounding success that will motivate more youngsters towards the sport and give us the future F1 drivers.
"Making it into F1 at the time I did was a seriously uphill task and the thought of being able to compete in the inaugural Indian GP was non-existent. But it is finally here and I'll be on the grid."

Karthikeyan reckons the layout of the Buddh International circuit means the Formula One drivers are in for a "challenging" experience next weekend.

"It is going to be one of the most challenging circuits on the calendar. There are points at which, if you're in an F1 car, you will see nothing but the sky.

source

Im glad Karthikeyan has been confirmed for the Indian GP, it would be wrong not for him to drive, hopefully he can prove himself and have a permanent seat for next year?

space.gif
space.gif
FIA in engine-mapping clampdown for 2012 Formula 1 season
1308244282.jpg

Formula 1 teams have been told that there will be stricter limitations on engine mapping next year, as part of a clampdown by the FIA to prevent teams exploiting exhausts gases.

Although moves to outlaw blown diffusers have already resulted in teams being forced to run with periscope exhausts in 2012, there have been mounting concerns that some outfits are still trying to exploit loopholes in this area of the regulations.

Earlier this week, Mercedes GP team principal Ross Brawn voiced his fears on the matter - especially because it had become clear to everyone this year just what benefit can be had from using exhaust gases for improved aerodynamic performance.

"In our case it [the exhaust design] is still relatively conventional, but whether someone else will come up with something dramatic I would have to wait and see," he said. "I would not say I am confident that there will not be an innovative exhaust scheme because once we have learned something you cannot unlearn it.

"The strength and performance that comes from the exhaust, using exhaust energy, is substantial, and people now have a better understanding of what they can do with exhausts/engine mapping to extenuate the effect."
With the FIA keen to ensure that off-throttle blowing of exhausts does not continue, sources have revealed that the governing body has this week issued a Technical Directive to teams informing them that there will now be severe limitations on what is allowed next year.
To prevent teams using off-throttle blowing through extreme engine maps, the FIA has made it clear that the 2012 version of the software used by F1's standard ECU will now put certain limitations on engine mapping.

AUTOSPORT understands that the FIA acted because it had become aware that, although the positioning of exhaust tailpipes was more tightly controlled, there was still some potential for off-throttle engine mapping to be heavily exploited.
Although the move has not delighted all teams, with some expressing reservations in a meeting of the FIA's Technical Working Group this week, the majority of outfits have welcomed the move - because it effectively removes a grey area of car development.

The FIA argued earlier this season, during an intended push to ban off-throttle blown diffusers which eventually had to be abandoned, that such extreme engine maps were a breach of the famous Article 3.15 of F1's Technical Regulations.

This was based on its view that there was an aerodynamic benefit from a moveable part, plus it was being influenced by the movement of the driver through the throttle. Neither are allowed in the rules.

Williams chief operations engineer Mark Gillan said in Korea last weekend that all teams were likely looking at ways of exploiting the new exhaust regulations.

source

Schumacher excited for India debut
12046.2.jpg

Michael Schumacher says he is looking forward to racing in India for the first time and that he expects to be "impressed".

India makes its debut on the Formula One calendar next weekend with the inaugural race being held on the Buddh International Circuit in Greater Noida. The circuit is a new facility that has been purpose built for Formula One, and Schumacher said he's looking forward to seeing the development for the first time and racing in front of the Indian fans.

"For the next race, we are heading to India for the first time; a country which a lot of people tell me is fascinating," Schumacher said. "I'm looking forward to experiencing this new culture and seeing the track for the first time. I am sure we will be impressed with what has been done there. There has been a lot of interest in the build-up to the event, and therefore hopefully we will entertain a lot of new fans in India."

Schumacher also said that he hopes to put his retirement in the Korean Grand Prix behind him and score points next weekend.

source

Doubts over the future of Korean Grand Prix
12325.2.jpg

The future of the Korean Grand Prix, which only debuted in 2010, is in doubt after organisers warned they could not continue to sustain substantial losses on an event which so far has failed to enthuse the local community.

It is believed that the 2011 grand prix resulted in a deficit of around US$56 million, almost exactly the amount of the hosting fee paid to Bernie Ecclestone, the Formula One commercial rights-holder. The overall cost of the event was around US$80 million.

Speaking to Autosport, Park Won Hwa, the race promoter, warned that the event could be scrapped unless Ecclestone renegotiated the fee, which is due to rise annually by 10%.

"We are trying hard, but we need the co-operation of Ecclestone," he said. "We certainly want to continue with this event because it is a big event, even though we have losses. We want to give this region momentum by holding this event to help boost its economy and to boost the image, and to change our farming background in this region.

"He knows perfectly well our current situation, and I hope he is more co-operative."

The organisers are under increasing political pressure from those who argue the money would be better spent in helping the local economy. The Yeongam circuit is situated in a largely agricultural region of low income communities.

source

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back