Alright when was that again.....?

Here's hope that Merc will be challenged this year.

Nope, as much as I hate to say it. The 2021 cars are pretty much the 2020 cars as any meaningful development was to all intents and purposes stopped for the 2021 season. There might be a tiny bit of development here and a bit there but in all probability not enough to make any significant difference to the overall relative performance of the cars.

An exception might be Mclaren as they've got a Mercedes power plant this year, but they've had to shoehorn it into a car that was designed to accommodate a Renault engine. Admittedly the FIA has given them permission to alter the chassis in order to take the Mercedes engine, but this means only just enough to take the new engine, and is subject to FIA inspection. It maybe the case that it puts Mclaren on the backfoot for this season, although I hope not.

2022 is first year that we might see a real shake up and see the grid switch around.

Not to say, of course, that the car looks very different from last year's car ... Almost the main difference is the appearance of Perez's Mexican sponsors and the replacement of the Aston Martin logos with Honda. Well, this is 2021 - so far without megarevolutions

:( 10 yrs same ****. Same will be during racing. So here goes another title to HAM - 100%

Well, whether you like it or not, F1 has always been about the best car, and not necessarily about the best driver.

Is it Mercedes fault that they've done excellent work keeping the car ahead of the competition? Or is it the other teams fault in that they haven't been able to keep up?

The history of F1 is littered with teams and drivers dominating for years at a time - Williams, Mclaren, Ferrari and Red Bull have all had long periods where they were untouchable, now it's Mercedes turn.

Formula 1 isn't a race series to watch if you're into close racing and having the championship being decided with a nail biting last lap of the last race.

I see they added telcel on the wings for Sergio's long term sponsor. Livery aside it would be interesting to see if they can challenge for constructors. Realistically I don't see anyone other than Hamilton winning the drivers. But it would be great to see a constructors battle. Since RB closed the gap near the end of last year and most teams focusing on 2022 it's not impossible. Not to mention I imagine Sergio should be able to return regular high points hauls.

Fair point, I imagine teams are going to look to wings to try an get back some of the down force cut from the floors. Surely the FIA would have a stipulation on wing size however to try and handcuff teams.

I mean... isn't this
50241.jpg

a better looking racing car ? :unsure:
Of course it's not up to Red Bull Racing, no... the blood is on F1 hands. :p

I am all for the race car that allows the drivers to race. I mean look at 2012, the nose was not great to look at but that was easily the most exciting season in a very long time.

Unfortunately I think we see the reality of this in modern F1. It's an interesting dilemma, the fans are clamoring for V8 / V10 screaming engines that evoke emotion. The OEMs want green solutions whether they believe in it or it's just a PR move but the costs are so high that ironically that is also keeping them away. So where does that leave us? I suppose it could be a generational change. If electric is the sole future of racing I am sure the next generation will still watch as that's all they will know. Personally I have tried to watch electric racing series and could not get into it. There is something visceral about a powerful naturally aspirated engine that still gives me goose bumps but perhaps that is just my outlook.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 379 39.6%