Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Is this the car that will take Lewis Hamilton to a seventh Formula One World Championship?

Following the livery reveal and Silverstone shakedown run earlier this week, reigning World Champions Mercedes have officially unveiled their 2020 Formula One car - a machine the team hope will continue to an unbeaten run in the current Formula One hybrid engine era.

Mercedes New Car 2.jpg

“2020 will be particularly challenging because there will be teams that will put a lot of focus on 2020 and there will be teams that will start to shift their resources into 2021,” said Toto Wolff.​

“Getting that balance right will very important, but that’s not an easy thing to do. Our ambition is clear: we want to be competitive in both 2020 and 2021. That is a great challenge, but the greater the challenge, the more we like it.”

Prior to the official reveal, Mercedes conducted 100km of filming day testing with the new W11, firstly in the hands of Valtteri Bottas, before handing the car over to World Champion Lewis Hamilton at the British venue.

“It’s a real privilege for Valtteri and myself to be the only people who get to drive this machine and I’m really looking forward to stretching its legs”, said Lewis Hamilton. “I’ve been in constant communications with the engineers, trying to keep an eye on everything that was happening at the factory. Today is a really exciting day – finally seeing in person what this team has worked towards so hard. As a driver, you’re just itching to get back into the car.”
“The atmosphere this year is very calm, very focused – we all know that there’s a job to do and results to be delivered in order to meet our own expectations, so we’re working hard to try and prepare in the best way possible,” said Toto. “We feel no sense of entitlement to win races or championships, we know we need to fight extremely hard for that; as we had to in every year. This has been our mindset from the beginning.”

Mercedes New Car 3.jpg

Original Source: Mercedes F1

Get yourself over to the Formula One Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment if you want to learn more about the world of Grand Prix racing with our awesome motorsport community.

Mercedes New Car 4.jpg

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. At first, I thought: « same old livery ». But, on the other hand, it’s still a really good looking livery and it’s their trademark, just like Ferrari has to be red.

according to an interview with Helmut Marko, after Niki died, Niki was the first driver who retired from Ferrari. Not kicked by Enzo. Their limousine back to the airport was cancelled and nobody was willing to even call a taxi für Niki and Helmut. So they had to leave the factory and search for a telephon box themselfes.
Niki was one of their big heroes, but maybe there are things they won't forget ;)

according to an interview with Helmut Marko, after Niki died, Niki was the first driver who retired from Ferrari. Not kicked by Enzo. Their limousine back to the airport was cancelled and nobody was willing to even call a taxi für Niki and Helmut. So they had to leave the factory and search for a telephon box themselfes.
Niki was one of their big heroes, but maybe there are things they won't forget ;)
Oh those hot blooded Italians... :alien:
Ok, I initially didn't understand the addition of red on a merc, but if that is indeed a tribute to Niki Lauda that's good.
You're welcome. :rolleyes:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years