Paul Jeffrey

Premium
McLaren have become the latest team to reveal their brand new 2020 Formula One challenger - the Renault powered MCL35.

Revealed today at the McLaren Technology Centre in Woking, McLaren have high hopes that the first car developed under the watchful eye of new Team Principe Andreas Seidl will help propel the multiple World Championship winning outfit back towards the front end of the Formula One field.

Retaining Renault power for the final season before switching to a Mercedes customer unit for 2021, the new MCL35 will again be driven by stand out 2019 drivers Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris, both of whom enjoyed impressive campaigns during their first season in the papaya orange machine.

As well as showcasing the new car for the first time, McLaren have also confirmed they have brought no-less than eight new 'partner' sponsors to the team ahead of the 2020 season, swelling the number of supporting companies backing the Formula One outfit to 38 in total.

Of the new car, McLaren F1 Team Principle Andreas Seidl has rightly earmarked this season as an important one, as the team continue to rediscover the form that helped them to eight Constructors, and 12 World Drivers Championships in Grand Prix racing.

“This is an important moment for the entire team" said Seidl at the live streamed car launch.​
"Yesterday evening, after many months of hard work from all the men and women at McLaren, our people were the very first to see the MCL35, before we showed it to the world today. Every team member has invested a great deal of time and energy during this pre-season in designing, engineering and producing the MCL35 ready to take to the track for the first-time at pre-season testing. Carlos and Lando showed real grit and determination last season and have continued to work hard in preparation for testing and the season beyond. We look forward to building on what was a very positive first year with them behind the wheel.

2020 McLaren F1 Launch 3.jpg

McLaren become the third team to officially unveil their new car ahead of pre-season testing next week. The British team will be looking to build upon their strong 2019 campaign, a season that marked a significant upturn in fortunes for the struggling outfit as they recovered to fourth overall in the constructors championship, even securing a first podium finish for the team since Jenson Button and Kevin Magnussen stepped out onto the rostrum at the beginning of the 2014 Formula One season.

Original Source: McLaren

Get yourself over to the Formula One Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment if you want to learn more about the world of Grand Prix racing with our awesome motorsport community.

2020 McLaren F1 Launch 1.jpg
2020 McLaren F1 Launch 2.jpg

Last edited:
I love how people are all complaining about the liveries not changing much on social media. The teams have built a brand around their color so yeah, what do you expect...
I think the real issue is the overall car design, with too much wings. There is no livery that can save it.

PS: Of course, the fact that Mercedes and Ferrari will aways use the same colors makes a "livery reveal" sound like a joke.

Only complaint is the sides of the front wing should have a few lines of that blue to black transition. But yup, looks like McLaren is going to be the best again this year barring any wild changes from others.

Just took me 2min in PS to make the cars proportions look right. :D
Those hideous busses.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto-2020-02-14-um-10.13.34.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto-2020-02-14-um-10.13.34.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Is the matt paint an aero thing ?
In 2016 RedBull and Renault started to use matte finishing and Ferrari last year. Why? It saves a couple of hundred grams of weight. And also indeed matte on the F1 cars is more smoother then 'conventional' paint and makes it slightly more aerodynamic.

Nice to know: Every three races the car gets a complete new paint job.

Did I know this all by myself? Ofcourse not: I read this (Dutch) article ;)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 496 39.2%