F1 Testing | Russell Tops Times for AMG Mercedes

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
British rookie George Russell would end the 2019 Formula One season as fastest driver in Abu Dhabi, taking fastest time on the final day of running for the championship winning Mercedes team.

More accustomed to toiling at the rear of the field in the worst car on the grid, Russell would have the rare opportunity to get behind the wheel of the Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas Mercedes for the second and final end-of-season test, and the young British driver again delivered for the three-pointed star - setting quickest time of the day after 145 laps of trouble free running.

F1 Testing - George Russell.jpg

Having a far from trouble free day would be Charles Leclerc in the Ferrari, the young Monegasque driver have a session ending shunt in the final couple of hours of the day, heavily contacting the wall at turn 13 to bring his and the teams day to an early conclusion.

Despite damaging his Ferrari, Leclerc would still did enough to end the day second overall with 103 laps to his name, over half a second quicker than the Lance Stroll driven Racing Point Mercedes.

Of the rookies taking part in the final running of the year, Pietro Fittipaldi would be out again for the American Haas team. Grandson of Formula One legend Emerson Fittipaldi, young Pietro had a robust day in the car as he completed a very solid 135 laps for the youngest team on the grid, furthering his experience in Formula One machinery as he continues to establish himself within the F1 paddock.

F1 Testing - Fittipaldi Haas 2.jpg

With Fittipaldi ending the day eighth overall, it would be left to fellow rookies Nicholas Latiffi and Roy Nissany to prop up the field in the struggling Williams team.

Latiffi, second overall in the 2019 FIA F2 standings and freshly signed up to drive alongside Russell for the British team next season, shared driving duties with pay driver Nissany during the course of the day, the Canadian ending up an embarrassing 3.7 seconds faster than Nissany as the Israeli again proves he has absolutely no place in a Formula One car at this level.

F1 Testing - Latifi.jpg
F1 Testing - Nissany.jpg

Abu Dhabi Test Times: Day 2

F1 Testing Times - Day 2.jpg

Last edited:
I've been saying all year now that Russell is one of the fastest drivers on the grid and deserves a better car. I don't think Merc will let him at the team though until Lewis leaves or retires though because if they have two number one drivers they might actually have some interesting races and controversy and we all know how much Mercedes hates that in the hybrid era.

This kid seems to be extremely quick, just easy to go unnoticed being stuck in a terrible car. He absolutely eviscerated Kubica this year, in F1 that's about all you can ask for.

We have some very interesting talent in the pipeline, will be interesting to watch in the years to come as these guys jockey for (good) seats.

Agreed. The most interesting event of the 2019 season was the arrival in F1 of 3 highly talented drivers: Albon, Norris and Russell. Add to that Leclerc in 2018, Ocon at Renault and Verstappen who is still very young. That's the future of F1. There's a big change under way and Hulkenberg's forced departure from F1 is the first sign. There's no more room for a 32 year-old midfield driver who never achieved a podium. Raikonnen will most likely retire at the end of next season. Vettel's motivation remains an enigma. Hamilton seems to be willing to carry on for some time, but he'll be the elder stateman of F1 very soon.

I have the feeling that drivers like Perez, Grosjean, Ricciardo or Magnussen will never land a top drive. The same goes for Bottas when he's out at Mercedes.

Well, Russell in Mercedes vs. Stroll with Racing Point, the lap times difference is not as huge as I would expect. Those are testing laps, after all, so the times don't tell much, I guess.

Last edited:
Just shows what having a good car can do, teams need to be more even the gaps between them are still too huge i know money dictates allot in motor sport , it's been like this for quite some time now , but things really need to change in my opinion, this will also i am sure encourage more viewers to f1, we need closer racing. Also whats been said above test times dont really show the full picture, but most people into their Motorsport realize what having a good car/team means with a good driver to finish the package obviously!!!

I love to read these comments but sometimes I too, have to sit back and smile.
Sure!....the new talent is fast but it takes a hell of a lot more things to align for a champion to be produced.
We've seen a lot of quick drivers in F1 over the years....some in great teams.
Guys like 'quick Nick' at BMW, Kubica pre-accident, Webber, Sato, Hulkenberg were no slouches.
What guys like Senna, Prost, Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso seem to have in addition to being extremely 'quick' is a level of grit and determination that does not wane over a race distance.... irregardless of who is chasing.
You could say they like the taste of champagne and hearing anthems.

It is because Lewis is a champion because he is in a championship winning car...not the other way around..

The last 20 years, the driver winning the championship would also be on the winning constructor team.
Except once, in 2008. Yes, that was Lewis, ironically.

Out of 62 years of F1, only 10 times has the champion driver not been on the champion team.
My point: obviously, it takes a championship winning car, at least capable, to be a champion driver, but the driver damn well needs some skill.

I doubt anyone of the 20 drivers this year could have won with Lewis's car. Even if Lewis doesn't win, he's extremely capable of keeping mistakes to a minimum during the race. No, I'm not a Lewis-fan, but it's getting old to not give him credit, he's a 6-time champion! He could have been 8-time already, in 2007 it was 1p diff from Kimi, again Lewis not on the winning team. In 2016 he had 1 more retirement than Rosberg, which cost him the title.
Last fact, it's 13-2 to Lewis vs. teammate during his F1 career.

Last edited:
It is because Lewis is a champion because he is in a championship winning car...not the other way around..

Well, find me a world champion that *didn't* have a championship winning car... Even Jim Clark had the best car when he won his titles. Winning a title is all about consistency and that's only possible with a top car. To me, motor racing is all about the combination of the car & the driver. I also think that the best drivers eventually make their way to the best teams. It's a very rare that it doesn't happen. Vettel didn't have to wait too long to drive a Red Bull. Schumacher was signed to Benetton after one race in a Jordan. Verstappen graduated to Red Bull very quickly. etc. That's why I feel that the fact Hulkenberg never drove for a top team is an indication that he isn't as good as some people think...

Ahh we back on Lewis topic again...am sure same time, same place last year we all had these conversations.... Just like an alcoholic in denial... But slowly slowly people will accept. Even some Ferrari are beginning to give him some respect.
Just be happy Lewis is not on 8 as we know it could have easily been.

Maybe next year might be for Bottas and he retires straight after.....:D.

Mike Hawthorn
Jackie Stewart
James Hunt
Nelson Piquet
Alain Prost
Michael Schumacher
Mika Häkkinen
and last but not least, Lewis Hamilton

But, yes it takes a capable car.

I guess by championship winning, you mean a car that won the manufacturer's title? My interpretation was more "a really great car". Because all the drivers you mention were all driving some excellent cars. What I meant was that there's not a single WDC who won his title with a car that was "only" good.

I guess by championship winning, you mean a car that won the manufacturer's title? My interpretation was more "a really great car". Because all the drivers you mention were all driving some excellent cars. What I meant was that there's not a single WDC who won his title with a car that was "only" good.
Well, that' s not what you wrote :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 227 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 154 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.6%
  • < 5 years