F1 Testing Day 2: Russell, Kubica Top Testing Times

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 Testing Day 2 - Mercedes.jpg

Young British hopeful George Russell ended F1 testing in Budapest in fine style, topping the timesheets for Mercedes and setting a new circuit lap record.

Russell would have a very competitive second day of testing for his AMG Mercedes team, the British 20-year-old F2 championship leader and Mercedes reserve completing a commendable 116 laps earlier today, bolting on a set of Ultrasoft tyres late in the day to set an impressive 1:15.575, just 0.074 quicker than Ferrari driver Kimi Räikkönen, the Finn having a bumper day behind the wheel of his car with 131 laps on the clock, the exact same number as Red Bull junior Jake Dennis in third.

F1 Testing Day 2 - Red Bull.jpg

Following on from his fastest time yesterday, Antonio Giovinazzi would swap the scarlet of Ferrari for Sauber overalls today, the Italian setting a very solid 1:17.558 to end up fourth overall with 120 laps, ending two very productive days of running as he prepares for a potential full season debut in 2019.

F1 2018 New Front Wings 3.jpg

Behind Giovinazzi would be Force India and their reserve driver Nikita Mazepin, the Russian delivering the least laps of any driver as he enjoyed more seat time in the pink car, having plenty of disturbances with two stoppages out on track for a range of mechanical issues.

F1 Testing Day 2 - Williams.jpg

Fan favourite Robert Kubica would end the day in sixth position with 103 laps to his name, the Polish driver rather interestingly setting a time that eclipsed anything the Williams drivers managed during the Hungarian Grand Prix race weekend, again laying down a very impressive marker in his bid to return to the Grand Prix grid in the near future.

Kubica would also have an opportunity to spend time with the new for 2019 specification front wing, delighting a large contingent of Polish fans in the grandstands across from the Williams pitlane, before eventually setting his quickest lap on the fastest Ultrasoft tyre compound.

F1 Testing Day 2 - McLaren.jpg

Behind Kubica would be highly rated F2 championship challenger and McLaren junior Lando Norris, followed by Artem Markelov in the Renault and Toro Rosso drivers Sean Gelael, Pierre Gasly and Brendon Hartley, performing Pirelli testing duties, rounding out the rest of the times.

F1 Testing Day 2 Times.jpg

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
I hope these 2019 version of front wings can solve some of the problems we had/have in 2017 and 2018... I think these front wings have even a better look than those with lots of loops and holes and vortex generators. looking forward to 2019 season

the Williams looks pretty cool with all that paint over it, would be nice to see some colour variety on the grid.

Hoping Williams can sort their problems out also, with Stroll looking like he is off to Force India i cant help thinking they are going to be struggling again last year and F1 just wouldnt be the same without the Williams name there.

I'm very curious, with Kubica driving both the current wing and next season's wing on the same car, what's the difference in his lap times?

I'm very curious, with Kubica driving both the current wing and next season's wing on the same car, what's the difference in his lap times?
I don't think anyone set lap times with the new wings. Mostly just installation laps and back to the garage, or a handful of slow flaps.

Keeps popping in my mind the new front wings being wider, definitely more punctures and end-plates all over the place every single T1. Also Mclaren's crocodile winglets if that even help in aero, I'm no aero engineer but only their car has it when all other cars have some sort of diffuser to let air pass through while their seems to just drag it all over the car.
_O3I9946.jpg

skysports-f1-red-bull-ricciardo-rb14_4241429.jpg

RTX4YZTE.jpeg

skysports-f1-mercedes-ferrari-conclusions_4242241.jpg

The most shocking was that Kubica made best time of 1st sector till break. That said speaker on track during test. His long stints were all around 1.19.xxx and all very stable. Dont have exact times becouse it was hard to hear and screen with current lap times was off.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 282 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 191 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 249 13.4%