F1 Testing Day 1 - Verstappen Just Ahead of Sainz in Busy Session

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 Testing Day 1 - 3.jpg

Max Verstappen tops the first day of a two day post Spanish Grand Prix test at the Circuit de -Catalunya.

With many of the teams staying on in Spain to undertake a two day in season test at a warm Barcelona, it would be Spanish Grand Prix podium finisher Max Verstappen who ended the day atop the times, narrowly finishing in front of home favourite Renault driver Carlos Sainz after an impressive and trouble free 148 laps of running.

F1 Testing Day 1 - 4.jpg

With several teams taking the opportunity to run test and reserve drivers it would be a rare opportunity for some unusual names to spend time on track today, with Force India's Nicholas Latifi making the biggest headlines in his first try of the 2018 VJM 11, managing 107 laps on his way to a very respectable fifth place overall, just over a second down on the reference time in what was a very strong performance for the 22-year-old Canadian Formula Two driver.

F1 Testing Day 1 - 5.jpg

Sauber, who scored a point in Spain thanks to an impressive drive from young rookie Charles Leclrec would also be fielding a rookie today, giving yet another opportunity to fellow Ferrari young driver and sometime 2017 stand in Antonio Giovinazzi - the Italian taking the Alfa Romeo branded car to an eventual eighth place over 135 laps of running. Giovinazzi will be in action again tomorrow, this time taking over the seat of Sebastian Vettel as he gets a change to sample the 2018 Ferrari for the first time this season.

F1 Testing Day 1 - 6.jpg

Just behind Giovinazzi would be Oli Rowland and Williams, the British WEC driver getting a rare chance to try Williams Formula One machinery since securing a 'Young Driver' role with the Grove squad during the winter off season. Rowland would complete a largely uneventful 121 laps in the Mercedes powered car to finish ninth overall, just ahead of fellow British hopeful Lando Norris in the McLaren, undertaking development work for Pirelli alongside team mate for the day Oliver Turvey and Force India driver (and Mercedes junior) George Russell.

F1 Testing Day 1 - 2.jpg

Testing concludes tomorrow ahead of the upcoming Monaco Grand Prix.

Barcelona F1 Testing - Day 1 Times:

F1 Testing Day 1.jpg

If you like your motorsport fast and open wheeled, check out the Formula One sub forum and get yourself in on the discussion today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Last edited:
First a quick shout out to Latifi! .Excellent driving! Once again Williams is slowest on the bubble gum tire with a 4th driver no less.

I might get a bashing from any Indycar haters but if you did see the race you would know they use 2 compounds with 3+ stops and it was fascinating to watch as there was a big difference between the 2 compounds. That's all it takes F1, stop using 3 compounds that are close in performance.

Also, I'm getting tired of hearing how difficult it is to get these tires in "the window". I've watched F1 for a long time and I don't remember there ever being such an issue. Is it over engineering? I don't know.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back