F1 Testing | Bottas Fastest as Perez / Vettel Collide

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The Formula One season has only just finished - but that doesn't mean a rest for the drivers and teams as day one of post-season F1 testing begins in Abu Dhabi.

Probably unsurprisingly it would be a Silver Arrow at the top of the field when the chequered flag fell at the Yas Marina Circuit, Valtteri Bottas topping the twelve strong field after 138 laps of running in his Constructors Championship winning Mercedes. In an echo of the season just gone, Ferrari would be second in the overall timesheets as the teams tested the proposed 2020 Pirelli tyres once again, the Scuderia managing 136 laps in the hands of German Sebastian Vettel, the four-time World Champion having a solid day despite contact and a spin with Racing Point driver Sergio Perez.

The tap and spin by Perez was a clumsy move from the Mexican, showing a nose up the inside of the Ferrari without really committing to the pass, causing minor damage to both cars and leaving Vettel facing the wrong way at the T11 chicane - both cars would continue and complete a substantial day of running in the opening day of post-season testing.

F1 Testing Day 1 - 2.jpg

Of the newcomers today, Esteban Ocon had a solid debut for his new Renault team in eighth place, completing 77 laps in the yellow car to get his first substantial F1 seat-time since leaving Racing Point at the end of 2018.

"It's a fantastic feeling, to be back. I was so excited for today, I've been waiting for that day for months and finally it happened" said the highly rated Frenchman of his first time out with Renault.​

"Good first impression, the team gave me a very warm welcome, which is always very satisfying. Seeing some old faces, some new faces as well, which is great.
"And we properly started to work on all the little details, and towards the afternoon I started to get closer and closer to the limit."

F1 Testing Day 1 - 3.jpg

Formula 2 driver Sean Galael would find himself back in action again for Toro Rosso, ending the day in P11 just ahead of surprise Williams debutante Roy Nissany in twelfth and last position, some seven seconds shy of the ultimate pace set by Bottas.

Nissany, 25, last raced in the FIA F2 championship in 2018, where the Israeli driver scored just a single point to finish 22nd overall in the standings. With such a modest junior career behind him, the driver was understandably delight to make a solid first impression on the former championship winning squad;

"Firstly, I feel great. You know that feeling that you like your job and you know what you are doing" said Nissany after his day of running for the squad. "It took me four laps to get comfortable in the car, and from there on it was just building up my pace and confidence. We were improving and making our best laps until the end, and we made a few changes according to my wishes. I now feel confident in the car, with a lot of potential in our pocket so that tomorrow morning will be exactly what we need for the last improvements in 2019.

F1 Testing Day 1 - 4.jpg

Abu Dhabi Post Season Times - Day 1.

F1 Testing Day 1 Times.jpg

Couldn't help chuckling hearing that Vettel can't even stay out of incidents during testing! Poor guy. I'm not a fan, but I want him to get it together so we can see a proper battle next year.

Couldn't help chuckling hearing that Vettel can't even stay out of incidents during testing! Poor guy. I'm not a fan, but I want him to get it together so we can see a proper battle next year.

Vettel seems to need a car with a more stable and predictable rear end like the red bull he drove, something Ferrari don't have. And with his upstart team mate causing him grief on a regular basis im sure Weber is chuckling to himself and thinking what goes around comes around. Ferrari have buckleys at winning a drivers title with those two in the same team.

Weber is chuckling to himself and thinking what goes around comes around.
That's true. It's one of the reasons I don't have much sympathy for him. He's been a nob to others in the past and also this season. Treat others as you expect to be treated, and all that.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back