F1 Test Day 2: George Russell Goes Fast!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 Test Day 2 - George Russell.jpg

Making a refreshing change from his usual results, George Russell enjoyed a fastest time for Mercedes during day two of in-season F1 testing.

With the weather in Bahrain finally taking a turn for the better, the Formula One field spent plenty of time pounding round the Bahrain International Circuit as Formula One in-season testing draws to a conclusion today. With 16 drivers setting a time during a full day of uninterrupted running, it would be Mercedes junior and Williams 2019 race driver George Russell who wound up fastest of all - the reigning Formula Two champion having a very solid outing in the Silver Arrow as he completed his duties with the squad, making little in the way of mistakes on his way to completing an impressive 101 laps in the championship leading machine.

F1 Testing Day One - Read up on how the opening in-season test progressed HERE.

While Russell was on duty for Mercedes, Williams would take the opportunity to offer some seat time to their reserve driver Nicolas Latifi, the youngster managing an equally impressive 100 lap total as Williams continue to investigate solutions to what has proven to be a troublesome new car this season.

Unfortunately and not surprisingly, Latifi would prop up the timesheets in terms of teams running a normal test programme, the Williams driver ahead of only McLaren's Carlos Sainz, who spent the morning portion of the test performing tests for tyre supplier Pirelli, running on experimental 2020 compound tyres before handing over to Fernando Alonso for the afternoon session.

Speaking of Alonso, the retired double World Champion would have another productive day in the car, amassing 69 laps on experimental rubber on his way to 11th overall. Driving the 2019 car for both days, Alonso professed to be impressed with the progress made by McLaren, declaring the new machine to be an improvement "in all areas" over the difficult 2018 predecessor.

Having made a high impact debut yesterday, Mick Schumacher would be back in action again on Wednesday as he swapped the Ferrari for that of the Alfa Romeo team, and arguably having an even more impressive session behind the wheel as he continues his Formula One education. Schumi Jr. would manage 70 laps en route to sixth place overall, again impressing many with a mature and solid performance in only his second time behind the wheel of a modern Formula One machine.

Another notable name today would be that of Dan Ticktum, the youngster making his test debut for Red Bull Racing. Already a double Macau Grand Prix winner, Ticktum had a solid session on the way to recording 135 laps and ninth best time. Ticktum’s quickest lap, recorded on the C4 tyre, would be enough to edge out the Romain Grosjean driven Haas F1 car at the tail of the top ten results.

F1 Test Day 2.jpg

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Sorry Paul, for my meaningless comment in that previous thread. But what time is it there now and why am I the first again? It's 3:30am here, Taipei. Though this time I'm thinking what meaning is it that Russell tested for Merc and not Ocon. Honestly, I thought Ocon is better at Williams, and Russell kept his F1 virginity for next year maybe for a Leclerc head to head, Merc and Ferrari. That's not happening now I guess.

Schumacher jr. also did a great job. The future is Bright thanks to the youngsters like Russel, Schumi, Norris, Verstappen and Leclerc

Sorry Paul, for my meaningless comment in that previous thread. But what time is it there now and why am I the first again? It's 3:30am here, Taipei. Though this time I'm thinking what meaning is it that Russell tested for Merc and not Ocon. Honestly, I thought Ocon is better at Williams, and Russell kept his F1 virginity for next year maybe for a Leclerc head to head, Merc and Ferrari. That's not happening now I guess.
Young drivers/rookies are required to test in this testing session, hence why all teams have a young driver and drivers like Ocon didnt take part

I'd loved to have been a fly on the cockpit when young George put the hammer down for the first time.
Haha, exactly. Even better; being a fly in the helmet visor when he gets back in the Williams - 'oh bugger me, this certainly isnt a Merc...'

I feel like that might have been a bittersweet experience, getting to know what a top-flight F1 car feels like, to then go back to Williams.

Im no expert, but in my humble opinion, Ocon is already a Merc protected candidate, this test will SHOW everyone that Russel is top of the line and William's Shitstorm is the issue, not their drivers, same would happen with Ocon in Williams.

We can roughly gage that george is 3 seconds faster in a Merc than a Williams.....
So stick him in Bottas's car and he'd be up there..instead he's bumbling around at the back with Koobs.
God it must be so frustrating driving in F1...

Im no expert, but in my humble opinion, Ocon is already a Merc protected candidate, this test will SHOW everyone that Russel is top of the line and William's Shitstorm is the issue, not their drivers, same would happen with Ocon in Williams.

So if someone who is good is **** because of the car.... what does it mean when they are in the best car and others are in the **** ones?

I was thinking about that too, also about Nicholas Latifi , his father have a major investment in McLaren Group (McLaren f1 team's parent company) since may 2018 but his son is a reserved driver at Williams right now , he will join McLaren it means? like the stroll family and racing point f1?

I was thinking about that too, also about Nicholas Latifi , his father have a major investment in McLaren Group (McLaren f1 team's parent company) since may 2018 but his son is a reserved driver at Williams right now , he will join McLaren it means? like the stroll family and racing point f1?

I'm only guessing at this point that it's kinda like the old days. Like when Senna tested for Toleman, McLaren and Williams before he joined any. Anyone is available for everyone to test, like scouting. Like let's not be surprised if Shumi tests a Mercedes. His father have ties with them too. Maybe I'll end up with the same conclusion like yesterday. Testing can mean nothing at all. Not until the day they signed a contract, it's all just testing.

Off topic, I know, but I really think it could be in Mercedes' best interests to help Williams out with their development. How about if they were able to give them a few pointers so they could improve the car enough to be solid competition in the mid field, but not enough to be a challenge to Mercedes? It would most certainly improve the whole F1 spectacle if there were more competitive teams, plus Williams are currently flying the 'Merc engine' flag (albeit at half mast), so another competitive Merc-powered car on the grid could only be a good thing in their eyes :)

I have no idea what it is people think they are concluding from this list of times. They seem rather meaningless to me. Are you saying put Russell in a Merc and he less than .07 secs faster than Perez in Racing Point? I don't think I'd call that impressive but if you go down the list there are all sorts of inconsistencies which one would expect from a "test" session .

So there is nothing stopping Lewis taking the Williams out for a spin then to see just how off the pace it really is then?
Motor sport works when the fastest drivers are not on the fastest cars....
When the fastest drivers are in the fastest cars it is just predictable.....

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 272 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 183 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 182 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 135 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 241 13.5%