F1 Test 2: Day 1 - McLaren Fastest

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 Testing Day 1 Session 2 - McLaren .jpg

The second and final round of Formula One testing kicked off in Barcelona today, with rookie McLaren driver Lando Norris set fastest time during a busy session.

Norris would post his first quickest time in any Formula One session earlier today at the Barcelona circuit, as testing resumes ahead of the opening round of the new season. The McLaren rookie would complete a very solid tally of 80 laps before setting a session best 1:17.709 - just fractions ahead of the Pierre Gasly piloted Red Bull RB15 in second.

It wouldn't be all plain sailing for Norris however, his McLaren having not one but two session disrupting issues out on circuit, leaving the Englishman to hitch a lift back to the pits at the end of day one as his car was recovered following the final stoppage right at the very end of the session.

Also in the wars would be Mercedes, Valtteri Bottas having a significant issue with his new W10 at the beginning of running this morning - consigning the Finn to just seven laps of running before handing over to Lewis Hamilton for the afternoon portion of the test.

Thankfully down in the Williams pit, test two would see a welcome upturn in form for the struggling outfit - George Russell clocking well over 100 laps in the FW42 to record what has been in effect the first real day of activity for the new car from Grove. Russell was thought to be running some new aerodynamic parts on the Williams, and both car and driver managed a much more convincing day of activity as they recorded ninth fastest time - ahead of both Renault and Mercedes drivers, but using a softer Pirelli tyre compound.

F1 test 2 day 1.jpg

For more from the world of Formula One, head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with fellow fans of the top level of open wheel motorsport.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

I think most F1 fans must be happy to see McLaren & Williams looking competitive with everyone else.

When they get to Melbourne I still think it will be Mercedes,Ferrari & Red Bull.The rest will all be pretty close.

Mclaren on C4 tyres where Red Bull for example are on C3 Tyres .
This is a winter test and those laptimes saying nothing for the moment , never the less very curious which of the three Mercedes Ferrari or RedBull will be in front for this season F1 race .

Last edited:
I think most F1 fans must be happy to see McLaren & Williams looking competitive with everyone else.

When they get to Melbourne I still think it will be Mercedes,Ferrari & Red Bull.The rest will all be pretty close.

Exactly, I'm tired of seeing Ferrari and AMG always on top. I am firmly in approval of control engines.

Exactly, I'm tired of seeing Ferrari and AMG always on top. I am firmly in approval of control engines.

+1

I suggested control tyres many times may help with Micheal's domination
All I got was insult and jokes ............. ......... well laugh now :)

I been championing control engines longtime as well, there are so many positives and no negatives

I liken it to if you take the best coders and physics guys from all studios they would make a better engine together for all sims to use

Last edited:
Get rid of people associated with engines and say goodbye to half the f1 field. They race because of their engines in the cars. Without them, we wouldnt have mercedes, ferrari, renault etc. I find f1 boring, so i dont really care what they do, but take away the engine manufacturer and take away the competitors. Just my opinion.

Maybe do not get rid of engine manufacture, but make every engine equal. So the manufacture are just there for reliability... the rest depends on the driver.

Maybe do not get rid of engine manufacture, but make every engine equal. So the manufacture are just there for reliability... the rest depends on the driver.

Then there should be budget caps. Each team can only use a certain amount of money for R&D and other expenses. Because it seems like only the richest teams win.

Then there should be budget caps. Each team can only use a certain amount of money for R&D and other expenses. Because it seems like only the richest teams win.
And that happens because it is the way manufacturers like... I don't really think Ferrari would like being put on the same level as everyone (I'm not defending it, I think it would be very interesting to add a level playfield, but unfortunately who has more money usually have more influence on decisions)

Get rid of people associated with engines and say goodbye to half the f1 field. They race because of their engines in the cars. Without them, we wouldnt have mercedes, ferrari, renault etc. I find f1 boring, so i dont really care what they do, but take away the engine manufacturer and take away the competitors. Just my opinion.

That would not be my idea, all F1 engine builders and other companies like Porsche, BMW would have all their top people working on the project
Think of the overheads and time saved from duplication

This way a Mercedes would still be a Mercedes ;)

Which ever teams bowed out could be replaced
I mean lets face it, how much closer would races be without top 3 ?

All A1GP needed was a control V10 built by all talent (not just Ferrari ) then car manufactures making their own chassis ( not based off 2004 Ferrari) throw in F1 talent across the teams it would be a better series for mine ....imo

First thing they need to do is get rid of 80% of controls and radios
I am with Johnny Herbert on that one

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 228 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.5%
  • < 4 years