F1 teams to form breakaway series

Formula 1 has been thrown into chaos after eight of its major teams said they are now planning to set up a rival championship for the 2010 season.
The threat by members of the F1 Teams Association (Fota) intensifies their row with world motorsport boss Max Mosley over his budget cap proposals.
"The teams have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 F1 Championship," said the teams.
"We've no alternative than to commence preparation for a new championship." Mosley was insistent on introducing a voluntary £40m budget cap for teams to curtail a "financial arms race" in F1.

But Fota refused to agree to his conditions, prompting championship leader Brawn GP, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso to take their drastic action.
They announced their decision following a four-hour meeting on Thursday night ahead of this weekend's British Grand Prix at Silverstone.
"Since the formation of Fota last September the teams have worked together and sought to engage the FIA and commercial rights holder (Bernie Ecclestone), to develop and improve the sport," read a Fota statement.
"Unprecedented worldwide financial turmoil has inevitably placed great challenges before the F1 community.
"Fota is proud that it has achieved the most substantial measures to reduce costs in the history of our sport.
"In particular, the manufacturer teams have provided assistance to the independent teams, a number of which would probably not be in the sport today without the Fota initiatives. "The Fota teams have further agreed upon a substantial voluntary cost reduction that provides a sustainable model for the future.

"Following these efforts, all the teams have confirmed to the FIA and the commercial rights holder that they are willing to commit until the end of 2012.
"The FIA and the commercial rights holder have campaigned to divide Fota.
"The wishes of the majority of the teams are ignored. Furthermore, tens of millions of dollars have been withheld from many teams by the commercial rights holder, going back as far as 2006.
"Despite this, and the uncompromising environment, Fota has genuinely sought compromise. "It has become clear, however, the teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 world championship."

Fota added that its championship would put F1 fans first and boast the best drivers and sponsors.
"This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders," added the statement.
"The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."
Former champions Williams and Force India have already committed unconditionally to the FIA's world championship along with three new entrants - Campos, US F1 and Manor. The FIA has said there are other would-be newcomers waiting to take the places of those teams that refused to enter unconditionally, although one, Lola, has already withdrawn its application.

The stage is also set for a legal battle, with the FIA saying champions Ferrari and the two Red Bull teams have existing contracts which commit them to the existing championship.
The FIA had set a 19 June deadline for five teams - Brawn, BMW-Sauber, McLaren, Renault and Toyota - to convert their provisional entries into unconditional ones or risk being excluded.
The FIA responded to the teams' move in a statement on Friday, saying: "We are disappointed but not surprised by Fota's inability to reach a compromise in the best interests of the sport."
It claimed that "elements within Fota have sought this outcome throughout the prolonged period of negotiation and have not engaged in the discussions in good faith." The statement added: "The deadline for unconditional entries to the 2010 FIA Formula 1 World Championship will expire on Friday evening. The 2010 entry list will be announced on Saturday."

BBC F1 pundit and former team boss Eddie Jordan said it might ultimately need Mosley to announce he is not seeking another term of office to resolve F1's civil war.
He told Radio 5 Live: "It's posturing, but it has become very serious, and heads will roll before this sorts itself out."
Jordan added there was "absolutely not a chance" that the sport could sustain two rival series next season.
The BBC, which broadcasts F1 in the UK, said in a statement: "We are monitoring the situation." It added: "We never comment on the details of contracts, because it is commercially confidential information."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8108488.stm

Wow. I know they threatened it but I didn't think they would go through it.

If only Max Mosley could disappear.

I hope they stick with their decision.

Formula 1 was killed by stupid rules that changed every week and the money greed of some individuals.

Now they also know Luca di Montezemolo wasn't joking when he threatened them a while ago...

Go on teams...

I dont think Bernie will allow this to happen, he has far too much to lose. I think this is now the point where he will turn against Max and bring him down, as it seems the only way that these manufacturers will stay in his game.

I agree Bernie (one of UK's richest people) will try to divert this. He has too much money to loose. I just wish they would leave the damn sport alone. Max should've gone long long long ago...even before his sex scandal...

"Furthermore, tens of millions of dollars have been withheld from many teams by the commercial rights holder, going back as far as 2006," the association said"

• Wido Rossen

I support the break away.
And to be honest, i hope the new serie will be a huge succes.

yup - lets see which way bernie jumps...

to me it's all totally crazy, but obviously we're not privy to all the facts and discussions.

As a fan all i want to see close racing with as large a field of entrants as safe to do.

FIA are correct in trying to introduce a budget cap but what a big muck up the Ferrari contract seems to have been. Rights to veto any decision being written into it?!?! nonsense. should never have been allowed and one reason we are in this state. but hey, whats done is done. Lets hope they can get an agreement to get a workable budget cap (or reduced expenditure) by 2012 or something like that...

• Andrew Evans

i'm with max on the whole rules shouldn't be dictated by the competitors thing... but i love the fact that finally a group of people actually said :no: to max and bernie....

the remnants of f1 don't really sound massively appealing... williams... force india :lol:... and a bunch of new teams...

but lets see how long they last on their own... esp when one of them wants to pull out of the sport (again)...

on the bright side, they probably can't race at the f1 circuits.... so lots of gems could be dug up on that front...

Well, according to the latest coverage on BBC news this morning, it appears that the "breakaway" teams may well be able to use most of (if not all) the current F1 tracks, though I would hope that they would change a few of the venues.

I agree with Andrew in respect of the principle that the teams should not be able to dictate the rules of the championship over the authority of the FIA, however, I do think that Max Mosley has been to dictatorial in this respect and has posed levels of investment that are not reasonable to start with. I also agree that it is great to see the teams stick up for themselves with some solidarity for a change.

I would totally support a breakaway series if that is how this pans out, but I dont think it will get that far because of Bernie (or Mr Majica, as I refer to him!) as previously mentioned

2ai3jvd.jpg

• Andrew Evans

what did murray say?
oh wait, let me guess...

"faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic"

Yay, Big Red Text Time!!

On a more serious note, I can't believe the teams have actually done this! Like others have said, it's a very courageous thing to stand up to someone who has held a monopoly over the sport you compete in. I wish the teams every success in their new endeavour. :)

Good luck to new series if they really are going to make it. Hopefully we can see great tracks making comeback. I'd like to see A1-Ring, Imola, that new Portuguese circuit and so on. On the other hand this will kill the Donington circuit project and Silverstone will stay alive again.

The new teams will probably also have Carte Blanche over broadcasting rights, which will probably mean terrestrial TV will lose out as SKY will come sniffing with offers of 50 silver pieces :hypnotized:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 282 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 410 39.9%