F1: Super Licence points system altered

Bernie and Todt.png

The FIA have announced that the new Super Licence points system has been altered ahead of it's introduction in 2016.

On the revised list the winner of the new FIA F2 championship, the GP2 series, the F3 European Championship, the FIA WEC LMP1 champion and Indy Car champion will all receive the required 40 points to qualifying for a super license.

Meanwhile, the newest revelation is that the Formula E champion will also be offered a license, meaning that Nelson Piquet Jr. would qualify to compete in Formula One next season should he be offered a drive.

In addition the Formula Renault 3.5 champion will be awarded an extra 5 points, bringing their total to 35, along with the champion of the Japanese Super Formula series who will now recieve 25 points.

The DTM series received the recognition it desired as their champion will now receive 15 points towards a super licence, as will the WTCC champion, whilst the victor of the CIK-FIA World Championship karting series will also receive 5 points.

Finally it has also been confirmed that all drivers who currently hold a super licence will do so for the next three seasons, news which will ease the concerns of test drivers such as Susie Wolff and Pascal Wehrlein as neither would have qualified for a super licence next year under the previous system.

These are good changes. Though I wonder what'll happen once FIA Formula 2 hits the scene. I'm sure it's going to replace GP2 when it comes along.
Well GP2 has pretty much become the series where the champions earns themselves a shot at a broadcasting career, Vlasechhi is a full time one I think and Palmer is seemingly on his way there ;) let's be honest Stoffel isn't getting a drive next year because of his Mclaren commitments unless they strike a deal with Manor or whatever they will be next year if they have to change again

These are good changes. Though I wonder what'll happen once FIA Formula 2 hits the scene. I'm sure it's going to replace GP2 when it comes along.
We have to wait for that the last Formula 2 series was an utter disaster for the FIA.

What I dont get why doesnt get the FR3.5 champ the full 40 points. In a lot of seasons in the past few years FR3.5 was much more competetive. GP2 is bloated with rich kids who stay for 3 or more seasons without making an impression. Just look at how Stoffel make them all look like fools...

Yep, but the FIA wants to take over all junior Formulas and promote their own series. You can clearly see this agenda going on :(

Obviously they are playing it off as a way to combat pay drivers, but I think you nailed it here. The broadcasters mentioned during the Indycar race today that only 4 drivers in the field even qualify for a super license. It's ridiculous that the FR3.5 champion doesn't get enough points. Also not sure how DTM is only getting 15.

Reactions: Rob
Obviously they are playing it off as a way to combat pay drivers, but I think you nailed it here. The broadcasters mentioned during the Indycar race today that only 4 drivers in the field even qualify for a super license. It's ridiculous that the FR3.5 champion doesn't get enough points. Also not sure how DTM is only getting 15.

It's a giant sham. All it does is further reinforce the popular and somewhat deserving belief that F1 and the FIA and elitist and oligarchical. The top three eligible in the FIA's new baby, Formula 2, and the GP2 top three and runner up respectively getting as much as an IndyCar Champion? What kind of crack are these guys smoking? Half the IndyCar field could run circles (no pun) around most of the FIA pet series' drivers. Hell, about 3-4 have competed in F1. One, who was considered, and still is, one of the best drivers on the planet, Montoya, would not even be eligible to race in F1, after winning the Indianapolis 500. A Joke....

How is Formula 2 more competitive and on higher level than DTM, Indicar and FR3,5 o_O FIA is being ridiculous here trying to force drivers in their own stupid series which nobody even broadcast. It makes a lot more sence to support championships that have history rather creating dissapointments. In which universe Marco Wittman (current DTM champion) is worse driver than some unknown kid in F2?!

How is Formula 2 more competitive and on higher level than DTM, Indicar and FR3,5 o_O FIA is being ridiculous here trying to force drivers in their own stupid series which nobody even broadcast. It makes a lot more sence to support championships that have history rather creating dissapointments. In which universe Marco Wittman (current DTM champion) is worse driver than some unknown kid in F2?!
I agree about Indycar and FR3.5, but not about DTM. If someone wants to go to F1, he must go for proper single seaters. Also bear in mind that F2 will be redesigned, new car, new rules, new calendar, it will almost be a new championship.

I agree about Indycar and FR3.5, but not about DTM. If someone wants to go to F1, he must go for proper single seaters. Also bear in mind that F2 will be redesigned, new car, new rules, new calendar, it will almost be a new championship.

I don't see how a non-existent championship can realistically be the "most valuable" in terms of points. We have no idea how it's going to work out. It's not like F2 is actually a new concept/series. It's been around and quite a bit less regarded than even GP3 really. Palmer and Aleshin are really the only drivers of note to come out of there in the last few years.

While I am just as annoyed as the next person with how F1 seats are being given out, as I understand it, the whole point of this system is (supposed to be) to identify suitable operators of the car. It's probably true that Indycar or DTM or WTCC champions will never come to F1 and be wildly successful. This is also true for most people coming out of GP3 and other low level formulas. However, many of these people are more than qualified to simply drive the car.

I don't see how a non-existent championship can realistically be the "most valuable" in terms of points. We have no idea how it's going to work out. It's not like F2 is actually a new concept/series. It's been around and quite a bit less regarded than even GP3 really. Palmer and Aleshin are really the only drivers of note to come out of there in the last few years.
I agree, but as I said the new F2 has no relation to the one that stopped in 2012. Better cars, better organising, better calendar, world championship possibly, everything. The old one was bad, and that's why it stopped. The new one will have nothing in common with the old one except from the name. I agree with what you said at the start, but the FIA must be having something good in mind :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 193 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 378 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.7%