F1 Simulators revealed

From the RD frontpage:

Racer, available for download online is a free software originally released in August 2000 and began as a personal project of Ruud van Gaal. Now chief technology officer at Cruden, van Gaal has always actively encouraged community participation and has amassed a wealth of technical knowledge that he makes accessible to anyone. This week an interesting article was posted at RaceCar Engineering about F1 simulators.

Apparently, Racer is used for some F1 simulators, pretty cool! Read the article here and if you are just as enthusiastic about as we are then click here to join the free Racer community!

I was happy to read the news at the first place, but looking at the video on utube reveals that the simulation is using Matlab while graphics by Virtools...but racer do have the potential to be implement on simulation platform like this since that's what curden do as well

I think Cruden do some nice kit themselves.

What I want to know is do they normalise the G's to some level? Ie, braking at 1g would require nose right down to simulate, but F1 cars are making maybe 5g in some situations, so I guess that the g's you can feel are scaled back somewhat for such cars?

I'm looking foward to goggles that go over the eyes (stereo), and things that tap into the inner ear balance part and 'fake' the g forces... yay!

But you would have to ask if you would naturally resist a force that wasn't there and throw yourself over, a little like when you lose balance when making yourself dizzy :D

Dave

People have attached strings to their helmets and used motors that pull the strings to emulate G-forces. :D

Hahaha, classic... you'd want to hope that some software didn't crash and tow your head one way, hard :D

I thought that adding LFE to certain sounds would be cool, and then have a powerful sub run those LFE right through the seat base which is attached to the speaker driver... that way you could have a rudimentary FF chair (for vibration/bumps at least)

Mmmmmm...

I'm looking forward to the 'Holodeck' ala Star Trek, then we can just turn the safeties on so we don't die, and then drive the real cars with real forces and everything... only have to wait a few centuries hehe.

Well thats neat that Ruud and Racer got a nice little promotion basically (along with Cruden) Cool to know that Racer is supported by an F1 team.... which one we don't know though. (if I knew I'd root for them when watching F1 lol)

Hahaha, classic... you'd want to hope that some software didn't crash and tow your head one way, hard :D

I thought that adding LFE to certain sounds would be cool, and then have a powerful sub run those LFE right through the seat base which is attached to the speaker driver... that way you could have a rudimentary FF chair (for vibration/bumps at least)

We do indeed put the subwoofer right under the chair. ;-)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 385 39.7%