F1 Set to Introduce $175m Cost Cap

You are just honest disliker

I would just hire Gordon Murray to reshape the requirements for f1 cars.

175mil ceiling sounds like hey look we do something, but don't really change anything.

For those of you gnashing teeth and raging against this idea, though, do you actually enjoy seeing Mercedes (and to a slightly lesser extent, Ferrari) outspend everyone and buy half a decade of unchallenged success? I don't.

To lesser extent? Ferrari is the team with the biggest budget in F1 right now due to funding from Ferrari itself and the higher prizes it receives from the FIA for finishing 2nd last year. Mercedes in second and Red Bull in third but these last two are closer together then they are to Ferrari in spending.

Is the money spend on the drivers also counted for in this budget?
That would be a huge blow for Merc and Ferrari, some 50 million less to development.
Suddenly there is more to win for the team to get an alternative driver, one that's just just as fast but for a fith of the money.
None of the drivers are in it for the money anyway.

That would be a huge blow for Merc and Ferrari, some 50 million less to development.
Suddenly there is more to win for the team to get an alternative driver, one that's just just as fast but for a fith of the money.
None of the drivers are in it for the money anyway.

No, if they are adamant on further ruining F1 and introduce this budget cap it probably will not include driver salaries, team travel and engine development and such.

To lesser extent? Ferrari is the team with the biggest budget in F1 right now due to funding from Ferrari itself and the higher prizes it receives from the FIA for finishing 2nd last year. Mercedes in second and Red Bull in third but these last two are closer together then they are to Ferrari in spending.

Sorry, I guess I was a bit unclear with that one. I meant a lesser extent in terms of success, not spending. They've had their moments of success in the hybrid era but nowhere near as much as Mercedes. (Obviously.)

You need to read the article rather than just the title. It says that driver wages, engine costs, and marketing are not included in the cap. To me, that makes this nothing more than a worthless token gesture at best. The big teams will still have the best drivers due to their ability to pay obscene wages, and they'll still be the only ones that can spend anywhere near the cap amount. This won't help small and new teams compete at all, it'll just mean the big teams can't splurge as much and will have to target their spending slightly more than they currently do.

In other words, the affect this will have on the track is literally zero. Well done F1 for letting the power of the big teams dictate proceedings once again. :sleep:

Sorry, I guess I was a bit unclear with that one. I meant a lesser extent in terms of success, not spending. They've had their moments of success in the hybrid era but nowhere near as much as Mercedes. (Obviously.)

Okay, yeah you're right. But we should be careful because Mercedes are not ruining F1 they are just doing a really good job as they should if anyone is ruining F1 its Ferrari/Red Bull for not being able to build a car good enough.

This budget cap is not meant and nor should it be meant to reduce the success of Mercedes but the focus should be in allowing the others to perform to a similarly high standard. But as I've said before, I don't think that is what this will achieve.

You need to read the article rather than just the title. It says that driver wages, engine costs, and marketing are not included in the cap. To me, that makes this nothing more than a worthless token gesture at best. The big teams will still have the best drivers due to their ability to pay obscene wages, and they'll still be the only ones that can spend anywhere near the cap amount. This won't help small and new teams compete at all, it'll just mean the big teams can't splurge as much and will have to target their spending slightly more than they currently do.

In other words, the affect this will have on the track is literally zero. Well done F1 for letting the power of the big teams dictate proceedings once again. :sleep:

If you watch of listen to the Sky sports coverage you will have heard them talk about how "terrible" it is that young drivers can just get in the car and be on the pace on that same day. Whether you agree with that or not (I don't), why would the drivers be held to such a high standard but the teams aren't. If you are not capable enough to compete in F1 well too bad and good bye. Formula 1 and motorsport in general are brutal if you are not good enough, there is no place for you in F1. The same holds for teams, if you are not able to compete what gives you the right to be in F1? And as such I think the worst teams in F1 at the moment don't just include Williams but certainly Ferrari too.

I guess any attempt to level the playing field is a good thing but it feels like we’d need a lot more than this to make any substantial impact on the quality or racing and to stop the big teams from dominating. I’ve watched F1 for years, and I’m a Hamilton fan, but even my heart sinks as Lewis’ car disappears into the sunset again. F1 needs a radical overhaul or it will be in terminal decline. Look at the problems that NASCAR has and make sure not to go down that path. Fundamental change is required now, not window dressing.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 276 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 187 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 188 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 138 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 247 13.6%