• 28000+ Members! Dear Guest, click this link to join the RD Army on our official Discord server

F1 | Schumacher, Ilott & Schwartzman To Make F1 Practice Debuts

Mick Schumacher is set to line up for Alfa Romeo in Free Practice for the upcoming Eifel Grand Prix at Nurburgring, with fellow F2 rival Callum Ilott joining Haas in the opening practice session of the weekend.
  • Schumacher and Ilott to test during next race.
  • Rob Schwartzman to get Alfa run in Abu Dhabi.
  • Schumacher overwhelming favourite for 2021 Alfa seat.
History will be made at the upcoming Eifel Grand Prix weekend when the son of Formula One's most decorated driver hits the track in an official capacity for the first time, with the 21-year-old set to make a track debut in FP1 for the Alfa Romeo team.

Long regarded as a potential Formula One driver as early as next year, Schumacher is enjoying a strong season in Formula 2 this season, having recently taken victory in Russia to propel himself into a 22 point lead atop the drivers championship, with fellow FDA talent Callum Illot holding second position with just the final two rounds at Bahrain left to run this year.

Although Schumacher, with the backing of Ferrari, looks likely to make the transition to the top level next season, the Italian squad have plenty to think about in the driver stakes, with Illot and the impression Russian Rob Schwartzman also making strong progress in F2 - so much so that both drivers have also been handed F1 opportunities by the Scuderia, with Illot taking a place with Haas in Germany, and Schwartzman set to find seat time with Alfa Romeo during the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend.

For more from the world of Formula One racing, head over to the RaceDepartment F1 sub forum and get involved today!

Mick Schumacher footer.jpg

RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

fatal4you

100RPM
Oct 28, 2018
F1 needs at least two additional teams to allow new talent to come in.
They also need to go back to some testing, to highlight talent sitting in the wing waiting.
New teams? Not going to happend. New Concorde agreement says new teams have to pay 200 millions to the current grid before they can join. Under these circumstances I see no reason why anyone should join.

Dan ONeill

500RPM
Premium
Nov 27, 2013
After watching Fernando on Amazon I’d like to see Alonso have a Friday practice session. I know that Renault are standing by their young drivers but on a personal level it would be interesting.

Terry Rock

2000RPM
Oct 24, 2009
New teams? Not going to happend. New Concorde agreement says new teams have to pay 200 millions to the current grid before they can join. Under these circumstances I see no reason why anyone should join.
That is 'bonkers' in this tough economic time.
Nobody in their right mind would do that.

Antony Snook

500RPM
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
F1 needs at least two additional teams to allow new talent to come in.
They also need to go back to some testing, to highlight talent sitting in the wing waiting.
I disagree when i watched in 90's there where 25 starters. But at the back there was a lack of talent. Less teams makes it harder to earn a seat or even pay for a seat. So drivers with less talent are less likely to get a drive. F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport. For that reason we need the best drivers in the world taking the seats. Or rich mediocre drivers paying their way in. More slower drivers at the back just filling up the grid will cause accidents and drama. There is enough congestion in F1 at the mid and back of the pack.

Durge Driven

2000RPM
Jun 17, 2017
Could this be the first father and son to drive for Ferrari

Shame Nick Cassidy never had a rich Dad

Terry Rock

2000RPM
Oct 24, 2009
I disagree when i watched in 90's there where 25 starters. But at the back there was a lack of talent. Less teams makes it harder to earn a seat or even pay for a seat. So drivers with less talent are less likely to get a drive. F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport. For that reason we need the best drivers in the world taking the seats. Or rich mediocre drivers paying their way in. More slower drivers at the back just filling up the grid will cause accidents and drama. There is enough congestion in F1 at the mid and back of the pack.
Bigger driver numbers have never been the reason for accidents in F1.
As to wanting the most talented in the sport... Look at the list of drivers currently without a seat in F1.
Look at those under threat of never getting back in due to too few teams
You've got talented guys like Sergio Perez...possibly on the way out for good.
As to back-markers....Alonso started in a Minardi... Vettel a Toro Rosso... Schumacher a Jordan for one race.
Those teams were vital for guys to 'hone' their driving skill by learning how to handle a difficult car.

fatal4you

100RPM
Oct 28, 2018
As to wanting the most talented in the sport... Look at the list of drivers currently without a seat in F1.
As to back-markers....Alonso started in a Minardi... Vettel a Toro Rosso... Schumacher a Jordan for one race.
Those teams were vital for guys to 'hone' their driving skill by learning how to handle a difficult car.
Senna in a Toleman.

Reactions: Terry Rock

Antony Snook

500RPM
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
Senna in a Toleman.
Yes there where more teams then and some would be to slow to make the start. But there where more retirements so the numbers drastically reduced over a Grandprix. You lost half the field to retirement now you loose a quarter or less.

Antony Snook

500RPM
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
I agree but talent is coming into mid pack and sometimes the front. A big problem in the sport is drivers are well marketed and move up to fast. Because they don't want to start out in a bad car. I realy feel sad for Russell he deserves a better team.

Durge Driven

2000RPM
Jun 17, 2017
Reactions: Terry Rock

Terry Rock

2000RPM
Oct 24, 2009
One of the worst things Formula One did in recent years, was the extreme limits to testing.
It put the 'brakes' on much of the new driver development and severely curtailed innovation by some of the smaller teams.
I remember when in 2005-2006 Renault...with less power, brought Alonso mass dampers and gave Ferrari fits.
At the time Ferrari was outspending everybody by a massive margin.
Those cuts in testing were done from a cost cutting standpoint but as with everything in the sport, teams always find a way to increase spending behind the scenes.
The act was an attempt to reel in larger teams but I think it ended up hurting smaller teams just as badly.
It did not have the effect F1 desired.
Larger teams have lots of divisions and as with any business (despite what you are told)...can re-allocate duties to non-F1 branded areas but still interpret the raw data.
Smaller teams do not have those same resources, so they rely on 'trying' new and innovative things on track.
Curtailing the essence of what this sport is about...in an attempt to try to appear more 'green' has implications.
Young, new talent has unfortunately become the casualty.

Reactions: stenovitz

fatal4you

100RPM
Oct 28, 2018
Yes there where more teams then and some would be to slow to make the start. But there where more retirements so the numbers drastically reduced over a Grandprix. You lost half the field to retirement now you loose a quarter or less.
And that was entertaining.

farjam

500RPM
Jun 4, 2017
In other breaking news, Honda will leave F1 after 2021 season :|
so Redbull need an engine and they have agreed to stay in F1 for 5-6 years...

By some mutual agreement (i believe from the concord thing) the works teams who are engine suppliers with the lowest number of teams running their engines [Renault in this case, Oh boy] have to supply them, unless Red bull find another one.

Last edited:
Reactions: fatal4you