F1 returning to 1990s-style cars for 2017?

2006FOS_1994BenettonB194.jpg

More details have emerged from the F1 Strategy Group’s most recent meeting in Paris earlier this month, with the member teams split on how quickly to implement changes aimed at making the cars more aesthetically pleasing and exciting for fans.

News of the plans to increase power output to 1000bhp had already emerged, but BBC Sport has outlined other specific rule changes for the cars, designed to address declining audiences in key global markets:
  • Returning to a maximum car width of 2000mm rather than the current 1800mm
  • Lower rear wing
  • Wider rear tyres
Immediately these ideas would bring us back to something approaching an early-mid 1990s F1 car before the sweeping rule changes for 1998 narrowed the cars, and for 2009 made the wings rear taller and narrower. Every pre-season it seems we get a debate about the downsides of the new cars’ looks, so trying to revert the rules to something more widely popular is a good move.

The point of contention is whether these changes should be implemented for 2016 by the next meeting of the F1 Commission on Tuesday, or to wait until 2017 so that this year’s car development isn’t forsaken or that costs don’t spike again, after the controversy surrounding the price of F1’s current V6 power units. Red Bull is apparently the most enthusiastic, wanting the new rules for 2016, but Mercedes wants to do some more research to make sure F1 fans both older and younger actually want more “retro” rules, or if it would just be catering to nostalgic older fans. Ferrari is understood to be in the middle, supporting minor changes for 2016 but having their proposal for new V8 engine formula turned down.

anyone else think this sounds a bit like indycar? powerful engines, wide cars...

unless they allow development of new technologies again of course

So let's get this right!??..... I'm all for getting back to 'proper' F1 cars, but as the 'powers that be' keep banging on about cutting costs, why do they keep looking at changing the rules that would surely increase costs for every team due to more/extra development work on top of what they already do!!!???:O_o:

How about no. The 90's cars look boring anyway, but that's not the point. F1 needs to keep evolving into something new, not go back to something we've had before. Next thing you know, we'll be back to 1966 cars because some old guy thinks it looked nice.

People keep moaning about everything in F1 and completely ignore the fact that last year had some of the best races we've had for a long time.

F1 doesn't need 1000bhp, F1 needs to sort everything else out before doing something like this. The teams are getting screwed over economically while the management get more money by restricting viewing for the general public.

Nostalgia is for things of the past, not the future.

I wasnt alive at that time, but i BET there were lots of moanings when the cars got their wings for example to name just one bigger change in F1 history.

With media like we have today there would have been as much complaints as now, everybody wanting the "good old days" back.

It will always be like that - Time changes things, things develop, thats how it goes.
In the early years of the new millenium everybody said "boring", "groove-tyres are horrible" (yes, they are :D), "too much electronic stuff like traction control, the driver doesnt have to fight in the cockpit anymore, he has not as much influence as he had in the past"....

But now we have similar complaints and in the last months many peple wanted the "good old days" back - Speaking of late 00s, early 00s, or 80s.

Same procedure as every year....

last few years F1 was taken away from television and behind the decoder

even BBC doesnt show all races anymore
ill still watch,as many
but the casual F1 viewer DOESNT

F1 should do its best to be easier available on television to regain its populairity

and maybe a fresh FIA board and Bernie Ecclestone gone.

How about no. The 90's cars look boring anyway, but that's not the point. F1 needs to keep evolving into something new, not go back to something we've had before. Next thing you know, we'll be back to 1966 cars because some old guy thinks it looked nice.

People keep moaning about everything in F1 and completely ignore the fact that last year had some of the best races we've had for a long time.

yes, and transformers was a good realistic movie without CGI and stuff.....:rolleyes:

How about no. The 90's cars look boring anyway, but that's not the point.

Wash your mouth out young man. :confused:;):D

The best looking F1 cars of all time and arguably the best time in F1 too.
Your future would have us watching silent electric, boring enclosed F1 cars maybe? After all that is the future. :rolleyes::whistling:

SH-JM-MCLAREN-39_0jnf_0_zpspjt0bl2g.jpg

GPC97111-1_zpsjrwq6nus.jpg

McLaren-MP4-6-Honda_zpsf8ocejx6.jpg

I think I'll have to agree with @Jimlaad43 F1 is about pushing technological boundaries which make driver and car alike push to the limit to win. Regulations should be there to keep things fair and within affordable financial means only.

Of course people will say that the driver isn't challenged as much as before, which maybe counts on the physical front, but definitely not at the mental front. Drivers nowadays have to react faster because of the increased speed they're driving in comparison to the "early days" and they have to "manage" a lot more inside the cockpit on the steering wheel, not a couple of moments during a race, but multiple times within 1 lap. This takes immense mental concentration in addition to handle the car, keep it on track and to go fast.

But as I was saying, F1 is about technological boundaries. Look at the development of the steering wheel, the numerous options and settings on there is unbelievable. Take the development of shifting gears, from Senna's gear stick to the flappy pedals (already to be seen in the footage of the 1997 Spain GP which has been posted earlier), the change from V8/V12 engines to the hybrid variety we have seen last year and this coming season, the development and use of aerodynamics; wings, splitters, DRS, diffusers etc etc. Thos are all technological advancements that made F1 what it is today and in my view they should continue doing just that to keep F1 F1 and not make regulations a tool for just restricting the technological development of the cars (bar creating financial restrictions to keep things fair) just for the sake of nostalgia.

EDIT: @Mid-pack Jack Nobody is denying that cars of that era have such a charm about them. But that's just it, they are cars of a previous era, F1 needs to look forward not back.

Surely we can have lower rear-wings at least? Those would IMO look better and suit the shape of the cars more than the current rear wings :p

Also, I think we can have more power, as the pinnacle of Motorsport, it doesn't make sense when other series have as much power in their cars than F1. That is one of the big spectator attractions to F1, the noise.

Don't disagree, but these are my 4 cents ;).

Anyone who thinks that F1 can't destroy themselves by "looking forward" (maybe a split? It's been done before) is deluding themselves. Nobody wants to see the pinnacle of "racing" by fuel management in cars that look like anteaters and sound like an Audi diesel.

i also believe FREE advertisement like the F1 mods in racing sims helps to get gamers interrested in the F1 series

but for now Bernie sends treatletters to modders for law suits instead

the squeezing of money out of everything might be more behind the impopularity.as the specs and development changes every season.
they really take action to create bariers between the F1 circus and the Fans.

Really, @Jimlaad43 ? You think that rubbish will fly?

Passing eachother using artificial means instead of skill is not racing. Feel free to argue <snip>.. :rolleyes:

mod edit - no need to try and troll him into a response,

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, @Jimlaad43 ? You think that rubbish will fly?

Passing eachother using artificial means instead of skill is not racing. Feel free to argue <snip> :rolleyes:

I don't mind DRS or KERS old school. It all evens out in the wash. But what really irks me is that they leave the DRS option on for the last 5 laps. That's ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 331 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing