• Guest, RaceDepartment is now on Discord!  Join Here

F1 | Racing Point Sign Nico Hulkenberg To Replace Sidelined Perez

The Racing Point Formula One team have swooped to secure 32-year-old German driver Nico Hulkenberg for the upcoming British and 70th Anniversary Grand Prix at Silverstone.
  • Sergio Perez ruled out of Silverstone double header following positive Covid-19 test.
  • Hulkenberg returns for upcoming two Grand Prix.
  • Perez expected to return in time for Barcelona.

Formula One British Grand Prix | Sergio Perez out of Silverstone weekend: Click Here.

Nico Hulkenberg will make a surprise return to the Formula One grid this weekend with Force India, the German driver returning to the team with which he raced under the Force India guise in 2011-12 / 2014-16. Hulkenberg, who last raced in Formula One at the season ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix in 2019, has inked a deal to stand in for the sidelined Sergio Perez at both the British and 70th Anniversary Grand Prixs at Silverstone beginning today, ironically giving the talented driver arguably his most competitive car of his long Grand Prix career.

It will be a tall ask for the German to hit the ground running this year, having largely been inactive in racing since losing his drive with the works Renault team at the end of 2019, and not having had the opportunity to spend time with his new team following the late announcement of Perez's positive test results.

Formula One British Grand Prix | Discussion Thread: Click Here.

For more from the world of Formula One, head over to the F1 sub forum here at RD and get involved in the conversation today!

Hulkenberg.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief, occasional YouTuber, commentator and broadcaster, with a passion for motorsport on both the real and virtual racetrack.

EduCalza

250RPM
Nov 2, 2015
Great driver, half happy to see he in F1 car again, but half sad for Checo Perez.

Goffik

A legend in my own mind...
Staff member
Premium
Sep 28, 2009
This is great news. I've always like the Hulk and thought he could have done far better than he did given a decent car. It'll be interesting to see what he does with the somewhat competitive Racing Point, though I think expectations should be tempered given that he'll be a bit rusty at the moment.

I'd love to see him do well and replace Stroll alongside Perez next season... but we all know that won't happen thanks to Daddy Stroll.

Antony Snook

500RPM
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
Good call he understands the car and he is young. I feel he should of achieved more so this is a good choice. I though Alonso may do it.

Antony Snook

500RPM
Premium
Jul 16, 2011
Really hope he gets a well deserved Podium. Come on Hulk!!
Probably will not nothing against him but he may have limited to no testing. The most he can do is get a handful of points. It is so hard to sub a driver into a car during the season.

Smartbean

250RPM
Oct 16, 2010
I hope Perez will not suffer from symptoms and get safely back to racing after his isolation.

But wow, glad Hülkenberg is getting this opportunity, hope he can impress :)

On the other hand, what is the point of having the reserve driver role at all when you have 2 reserve drivers available (Guitierrez and Vandoorne) and not use any of them? (Test and Junior driver roles aside)

Morichin

10RPM
Oct 13, 2018
So now Gutierrez is able to go back stream.:p Sorry for him, but I think most fans will be happy having Hulk on the grid rather than him. Thanks for Stroll (he's 6'0 tall), Pink panther definitely have large monocoque, and since this is British GP, the team easily to take his previous seat to the track so seat fitting wont'be problem. hoping Hulk is well prepared for GP both physically and mentally, and to show us a good race!

mceci1

250RPM
Jan 18, 2015
Good show Lawerance Stroll. I was filthy when Renault dropped him last year. They had the ultimate team in Dan and Nico

Reactions: Prutscher