Upcoming Events

Weekly BMW races on Simracing.GP Other regular AC events on Simracing.GP Weekly GT3 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Rookie friendly WTCR sereis Weekly rFactor 2 events

F1: Provisional 2021 Calendar

Solutions
So here's the question - if they take the moral high ground and don't race at these venues, how do you make up the budgetary shortfall?
How much of a shortfall would there actually be if they stayed in countries that didn't have human rights abuses? There are plenty of countries that are capable of hosting a race, and would be able to pull in customers with money to spend. I don't know did F1 have to go to these places or go bankrupt, or did they go to those countries just because they would get more money.
You do have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to business, it can't always come down to what brings in the most profit. Otherwise everyone but the shareholders get screwed in the deal.

Jason Chamberlain

Mobile Chicane
Premium
I certainly don't know the numbers, but I'm going off of what I hear from people I trust like Marc Priestley. I do know that Liberty lost quite a bit this year because of COVID. They should make money on all of this. One could argue how much is enough, but I suspect that even if they were to agree to less they'd still need races in questionable places.

There are plenty of countries that are capable of hosting a race, and would be able to pull in customers with money to spend. I don't know did F1 have to go to these places or go bankrupt, or did they go to those countries just because they would get more money.

It all started when Ecclestone realized he could charge huge amounts of money to race in places that have little or no interest in racing. Vietnam is now on ice and I get the feeling it won't happen. Even if it did, I'm betting it would last 2-3 years and then it would disappear just like Korea, India or Turkey (back on the calendar because of Covid, but just once.) These events didn't last very long, even if colossal sums were spent building Tilkerings. Sadly, it continues with Liberty Media. (And what a joke that a company called Liberty Media is organizing a race in Saudi Arabia!)

I guess a lot of countries are willing to pay up in order to promote their country and boost tourism. I wonder how much money they *really* make (or lose) when hosting a GP.

Last edited:

Jason Chamberlain

Mobile Chicane
Premium
I guess a lot of countries are willing to pay up in order to promote their country and boost tourism. I wonder how much money they *really* make (or lose) when hosting a GP.
Good question. I would assume that it's enough to make it worthwhile. Then again, here in the States cities keep building stadiums and arenas, despite all the studies which show that it doesn't add to the kind of long-term economic benefit promised when the taxpayers vote to build the new facility. So who knows how it all works out?

It must be worth it for F1. Again, they must figure that any PR hit is well-offset by the financial gains.

I thought I would be able to avoid people talking about Saudi Arabia GP and its government in a controlled forum, but whatever.

A lot of time I see people talk about this stuff, it has a mixed message. On one hand, people know that the country has done something evil and they don't support it, which is very good. On the other hand, people boycott the country and are often too quick to condemn anybody associated with that country, which is very bad. Like a priest who's afraid to go preaching in a dangerous area, "moral high ground" aims to promote equality and rights for every human on Earth, yet it segregates some humans simply because they don't follow the same standard. It doesn't help that in a lot of modern media I've read and watched, evil people usually go bad because people abandon them and/or treat them like trashes in the first place.

Personally? I don't care. I'm watching F1 for racing cars and drivers. If Saudi can make good racing track, then it's fine by me.

Last edited:
Good question. I would assume that it's enough to make it worthwhile. Then again, here in the States cities keep building stadiums and arenas, despite all the studies which show that it doesn't add to the kind of long-term economic benefit promised when the taxpayers vote to build the new facility. So who knows how it all works out?

It must be worth it for F1. Again, they must figure that any PR hit is well-offset by the financial gains.

I know that the idea of "economic benefit" was the main reason why our governments here in Canada agreed to pay tens of millions to keep the race in Montreal. The amount of money generated by the GP weekend in the local economy was supposed to be 90 million$. Recent studies seem to indicate that it's actually half of that.

In Montreal, the businesses that really profit are hotels, upscale restaurants, bars and strip clubs. Definitely not my cup of tea. There's also a huge social problem related to sex trafficking that, every year, gives a rather bad reputation to motor racing. :-(

Jason Chamberlain

Mobile Chicane
Premium
In Montreal, the businesses that really profit are hotels, upscale restaurants, bars and strip clubs. Definitely not my cup of tea. There's also a huge social problem related to sex trafficking that, every year, gives a rather bad reputation to motor racing. :-(
Strip clubs? In Montreal? Say it isn't so! </sarcasm> I know that a lot of baseball teams dreaded the trouble that their players could get into while playing at "The Big Owe." (speaking of public expenditures that don't return on investment)

I think that they're mostly branding exercises, which is what the Saudis want, IMO. We were really excited to visit your city this year. My wife was even going to come just because she wanted to experience Montreal. So you would have had at least 4 Americans coming to spend money there.

Strip clubs? In Montreal? Say it isn't so! </sarcasm> I know that a lot of baseball teams dreaded the trouble that their players could get into while playing at "The Big Owe." (speaking of public expenditures that don't return on investment)

I think that they're mostly branding exercises, which is what the Saudis want, IMO. We were really excited to visit your city this year. My wife was even going to come just because she wanted to experience Montreal. So you would have had at least 4 Americans coming to spend money there.

You’re always welcome here! I have lived here all my life and I love it. I also love to visit the USA, when possible.

And yes, Montreal has always been known as a « city of sin », even as far back as the 1940’s. Not my thing, mind you, but one of our most famous strip clubs was nicknamed « Wayne Gretzky’s Montreal office. »

Last edited:
it just totally destroys any message they are trying to send, put this hole "we race as one" " no to racism" as a joke, they should add " no to racism, unless there are money to be made" disgusting

it just totally destroys any message they are trying to send, put this hole "we race as one" " no to racism" as a joke, they should add " no to racism, unless there are money to be made" disgusting

I don't get it. Didn't half the movement gain exposure and momentum because of what happened in the USA? Do you think they shouldn't race there either? Besides, as someone on Sky F1 said. This is an opportunity to have the Formula W support Race in Saudi Arabia. Women racing cars on track in Jedda. What better opportunity for a "women's rights" message for the Saudi's could you ask for?

Last edited:
I don't get it. Didn't half the movement gain exposure and momentum because of what happened in the USA? Do you think they shouldn't race there either? Besides, as someone on Sky F1 said. This is an opportunity to have the Formula W support Race in Saudi Arabia. Women racing cars on track in Jedda. What better opportunity for a "women's rights" message for the Saudi's could you ask for?
This is to be seen if they follow through with it. At the moment there is just an anouncement for 8 support races, no one from FIA said Formula W will race in SA.

And after all it is not my problem F1 is so expensive and needs the "whore-money". Another global open-wheel series or Indycar on euro-tracks and F1 would have a serious competition.

Don't @ me with formula-e, they don't even drive on real race tracks.

Imagine that, Indycar racing in Imola.

Last edited:

BP

Premium
FP1 in Turkey: Verstappen “It’s like driving on ice!”

iRacing is most realistic sim confirmed.;)

(for the record I like iRacing, use it all the time)

Last edited:

miuqana

@Simberia
This is a calendar with the tracks that they have contract. Australia and Monaco are unrealistic in the first semester, probably they will change date... I don't think that Baku would be done, Azerbaijan is at war with Armenia...

Too many races. I don't think that will be feasible.

Completely agree. Liberty Media did not understood that this is not NASCAR, that is a national championship.

This is a World championship. The right amount of races should be about 16-18 races for season, IMHO

I remember when i was young and talking of a possible Russian GP. People said it would never happen and boom here it is. Not to mention a Russian Driver's and a Polish driver. As long as they can pay the money to host the event that is all that matters. You wont go to a nation that cant fund the GP or go broke after 3 to five years.
If you want to build a team say it costs 1 billion dollars. You have to show you have 3 Billion just to stay afloat. So you need a good credit rating just to come into the sport.

miuqana

@Simberia
They could race at Moscow Raceway, or in the new Igora Drive, instead of Sochi, probably the worst track in the calendar.

No idea if its feasible, but I would love to see random races that are not revealed to the teams until the last moment before their travel and logistical arrangements need to be made. I'm wondering what impact it could have on the car development patterns if the teams don't know whether the next few circuits on the calendar have lots of high speed sweepers or street circuits with their point and shoot character, etc. Feels like it might inhibit the dominance of the bigger teams if there's a surprise factor invovled too.
The problem now is drivers have sim rigs even in their own homes. So you get get laps just about any track in the world. Via a simple download. The technology of the teams will also make this very easy. These new tracks did not in my personal opinion change mutch. People race about Mugello but it was to tight. And Portamau would be ok but it was resurfaced and rained on. If we went back in 2021 there would be more bite in the track surface as it would be worn in.

I remember when i was young and talking of a possible Russian GP. People said it would never happen and boom here it is. Not to mention a Russian Driver's and a Polish driver. As long as they can pay the money to host the event that is all that matters. You wont go to a nation that cant fund the GP or go broke after 3 to five years.
If you want to build a team say it costs 1 billion dollars. You have to show you have 3 Billion just to stay afloat. So you need a good credit rating just to come into the sport.

That wasn't the Russian GP back then, that was the Soviet Union GP. Whole different story.