F1 Postponed Until May At Earliest - IndyCar Until April

Germany currently having about 2,000 new cases a day
Dont wanna make this a corona thread but in Norway there have been a huge uproar in the medias after an interview with a scientist/doctor who argued that the norwegian autorities did allready give up against the corona virus on day one.

Because they didnt learn from China to demand full isolation of the population for a rather "short" time - but instead did chose the same laissez-faire-ish strategy as the rest of Europe (and even worse US).
A strategy which is to let it be up to people themselves how serious they would take the advices from the autorities.
And then in reality let the infection spread without real proactive intervention from autorities other than to threat as many they can in the hospitals and then when (not if!) there are no empty beds left - let people die.

The even more strange outcome of this norwegian "strategy" is that after some smaller norwegian municipalities and villages did actually succeed in stopping the spread 100%(!) by following this full isolation then the norwegian autorities is now trying to forbid this strategy because it does question the official norwegian strategy.

It looks like the interview/debate has been removed. So what is left is mainly the reaction against her.

EDIT: No I found the whole interview/debate.
And Im sorry that you will only get something out of it if you understand norwegian :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
As of 22/03/2020 the COVID-19 deaths in Australia stand at 7 nation wide.
At either State or National level the number of confirmed infections remains quite low, NSW (our most populous state has just reached 537 infections, while I think (haven't been checking) the total infections for the Nation are around 2000+/-.
There is surprisingly co-operative action between the Federal Governments and the States, and I'm really happy I live in Nation that is surrounded by a vast expanse of ocean(s), relatively sparsely populated with a population mostly prepared to co-operate with the recommendations from the CMO and well used to helping one another in the present times.
With COVID-19 following on the recent unprecedented fire season and the extended drought, in the main, the old tradition of looking out for one's 'mates' remains alive and strong.
One very important issue has been raised in Oz, a return to domestic manufacturing and far less reliance on cheaper imports is one of a few positives to come out of COVID-19.

Sounds good, though not all the surfer dudes at Bondi Beach were that cooperative from what we hear and read over here in Europe. One weird side-effect: We all get to be little virologists. Did I know four weeks ago that any measure we take now will show results in 10-14 days? That the number of infected but unrecognized people is on average 7 to 11 times as high as the reported numbers? That epidemics produce exponential growth, so one day the plants fill half your lake and the next day it's gone? It's so weird sitting alone at home, for instance the impulse is to check on my 80+ years old parents, who have gone into deep hibernation (my dad is going about this with the zeal of the ex-CEO he is), but my dad has forbidden me to get close (and rightly so). It is weird and trying.

And now here in Australia it is getting more serious as we start the shut down of society because the general public is to stupid to follow the basic rules.. if they can't learn then we will all end up under martial law locked in our houses.

Stay safe everyone, as a dad and grandfather it is a worrying time and I wish everyone well in the coming weeks

And now here in Australia it is getting more serious as we start the shut down of society because the general public is to stupid to follow the basic rules.. if they can't learn then we will all end up under martial law locked in our houses.
Yeah thats one of the problems in a more free society than China.
A lot of people dont give a damn about the authorities' advices - as long as its not strictly demands.
And even demands are not obeyed by some people if overruling them are not severely punished.

The problem with this attitude in a civilised society is that if such fools get infected they do occupy hospital beds and ressouces that could be better used on people who acted reasonable and in time.

yep, but that is the price of freedom and I'd still rather live in freedom with some idiots than in a totalitarian state which also contains - trust me - its fair share of idiots ;)
Such kind of binary thinking is often expressed (by politicians) - but is a completely false contradiction.
If you read my short "synopsis" above of the situation in Norway - then some smaller villages and municipalities have used the same restrictive strategy as in China.
And with success!:thumbsup:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Eventhough I dont know where you are living then Im quite sure that Norway is maybe even less totalitarian than your country.
So...

Explanation: As a country you can both live in "fredom" AND act like China. Making this some kind of contradiction is the result of (goofy) binary thinking. :thumbsup:

300px-Goofy.png

Lets return to that in 2-3 weeks - and then see how as example the rest of Europe are doing at that time.
I dont hope it but it could be even more severe in US.
That's exactly my point. Even though they can easily see how it is going in Italy, they refuse to act to prevent the same problems. Some, like the uk and the us, are trying to get even bigger problems.

My free prediction for the future of F1 is that dependent of how the 2020 season get amputated by this corona thing 2-4 teams will stop participating.
My 2nd free prediction is that the first teams will be Haas, Williams and maybe Renault.
It took some time but now Mistar Ecclestone has also seen the light :whistling:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 141 7.5%
  • < 5 years