F1 Postponed Until May At Earliest - IndyCar Until April

It is hard for series to move to esport events during the break as currently you need to get competitors in the same place with the same equipment to ensure equality.

I think that defeats the object though.

Why not just have fun? Ask for honesty and fairness from individuals. I think true sports professionals would honour that.

Plus, if you're talking F1, they have no option but to use the F1 Codemasters game for obvious commercial reasons. And that creates more of a level playing field.

I think this is a massive opportunity for eSports to get some momentum, to be exposed, and for us to find out if it really can be a spectacle.

They seem to have made a start already.

Let's see if this gains momentum and more people we've heard of get involved. I think it's amazing that the Real Madrid goalkeeper took part.

They seem to have made a start already.

Let's see if this gains momentum and more people we've heard of get involved. I think it's amazing that the Real Madrid goalkeeper took part.

yep, one should take the opportunity and fill the void. on iRacing they did the Sebring 12hours, but that was planned way before the real life race was postponed.
Your vid shows that this will only work with real names, as a commentator you cannot say "blockbuster534 is moving into the lead", how pathetic does that sound?

I just hope all of the non-F1 series can survive this and it doesn't end up being like 2008 all over again. The downfall of the ALMS still hurts. :(

Fans in German soccer have come up with the idea to take a large share of the top-earners' (players / managers / staff) salaries in order to help the clubs / dependants. One of the NBA teams donated a million dollars of their salaries to help the people working in their stadium / hall.

I live in Italy and I can tell you in first person PEOPLE DIE. But it seems like in Europe they are not taking it too seriously. I would suggest you to search for Bergamo, Northern Italy, on Google and look for the video of the coffins in the chapel of the cemetery or the pages of the local newspaper full of obituary pages. People die of this virus, people who have a weak immune system, mostly, not only elder people. Even young people end up to ICU, intubated. BoJo in UK, for example, is a fool believing in the "herd immunity", but if he's wrong (and he is), he will see coffins everywhere and people in ICUs in every hospital of UK. This is not a strong pathogenic virus, but it spreads fast and will kill whoever is weaker and keeping it too long among the population, thanks to the "herd imminuty" BS, this virus could mutate itself, becoming more pathogenic. Human stupidity...
Apologies for the length... but it's serious. It's not a joke.
It really seems that only italians get it so far. Way too many people underestimating the gravity of the situation.

My free prediction for the future of F1 is that dependent of how the 2020 season get amputated by this corona thing 2-4 teams will stop participating.
My 2nd free prediction is that the first teams will be Haas, Williams and maybe Renault.

well, will be missing my racing over the coming months. however, will be tuning into some assetto corsa for the forum race this weekend :thumbsup:
also, what are some great races to go and watch on youtube - any series not just f1.

For me, watching races I missed when I was a kid (70s, early 80s) are the most fun to watch. There wasn't much motorsports on TV, maybe little reports from Formula One and similar small reports from DTM and that was it (oh yes, Rally Monte Carlo and LeMans). So, you couldn't watch, you read about it. I kept folders of newspaper and magazine clipings focussing on my favourite drivers (Lauda and Laffite) and also on the motorsports never shown on German TV (Indy 500, British Touring Car, NASCAR). It is amazing to watch these today and sort of realize how much of it was your imagination, not reality. Also, there are some good documentaries, e.g. one by Audi about one of their LeMans years and a great one about the Williams team on either Netflix or Prime, I forget which one. Finally, there are some fiction films, e.g. the nicely weird one based on the Michel Vaillante comics. So, plenty of stuff to watch.
Maybe someone can provide some links ...

I used to do commentary for an online league and also participated in many leagues which were broadcast, but I never fancied watching other chaps do online games. I might have to change my mind :).

I know what you mean.

I think the important thing to remember is give them a chance. It's new, the drivers may well be inexperienced, but these strange times offer a time window for everyone involved to persist, learn and hopefully improve.

Above all else, as I think you were insinuating, we have little else to watch.

The rF2 event I'm particularly interested in. Undoubtably Nicholls and Palmer add some gravitas and entertainment value, and I can relate to many of the drivers, which is key I think.

I don't want to watch people play games if I don't know who the people are, but if I do, and I have heroes and villains, then there's a spark.

If it helps I started a thread where we can list the eSports events coming up that we find out about.

Also, something that's been missing from everything so far - I wonder if they'll be able to work something out going forward .... REPLAYS!!!

Edit apologies - the rFactor2 stream DID have replays. Kudos to them.

I've watched a few Forza 7 eSports events and they go to huge lengths to try to make the audience care about the racers. Forza also has high TV level production values, real commentators, race drivers as pundits etc. They spend more time introducing the drivers that the length of the races, they desperately try to give them (eg SpottyFace17 in Team Crusher) some sense of individuality and story.

All that effort and it just doesn't work at all, once the races start it's just some Forza 7 cars on the screen and difficult to tell who's who anyway!

Racing eSports might get there as a spectator event but I'm not convinced yet.

When i was still doing commentary, I had team captains send me info-sheets on the different players and since we were just a league of 10 or so teams with maybe 35 players, all forced to play with real names (though we of course had no means to check whether Dick Miller actually was Dick Miller or just his very talented dog), by the end of the first season, one started to get a "feel" for the players and their individual little ticks here and there. After some seasons with only limited movement in lineups, they certainly felt "real". I also always really tried to pronounce their names correctly, especially the French were very grateful :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back