Upcoming Events

Weekly BMW races on Simracing.GP Other regular AC events on Simracing.GP Weekly GT3 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Rookie friendly WTCR sereis Weekly rFactor 2 events

F1 | Nico Hulkenberg: Good, Bad Or Indifferent?

safi hellie

@Simberia
I too wish he would have started the race, because we could have found out if the Racing Point's lack of pace yesterday was due to the car struggling on long runs or Stroll being back to his old self after a good race in Hungary.

It was the car at fault obviously, Stroll didn't just get better, or neither can you just get worse.

Stroll is doing better because he is in last years Merc....
That is like suggesting that Alonso just suddenly forgot to drive fast when he was at McLaren...

I hate to break it to you...if Lewis was in the Alfa he'd be at the back.....

I rank them on the same level. I have nothing against Barrichello but if he had driven for the same teams as Hulkenberg, he would have a similar record.
By that logic... many other have Rubens genes :cautious:
Aren't say Irvine, Webber, Coulthard,... also in that category ?
All of them pretty good divers but never really a World Champion material ?
And if Button didn't had THAT car... wouldn't he also be in that, Rubens, category ?
Just saying... it's hard to really compare the drivers from different era and especially in regard the machinery they had underneath them.

I dont know where to write this, but has this site changed? navigation is a mess, there's a huge side menu on the left, it works slow, the ease of finding mods by #car #track etc are gone. What happened?

yea he did a good job, but this is pointless as he didnt even had the chance to have a race.

yea sure the whole team and mechanics are focused on their 2 full-time drivers (or maybe just one like in most f1 teams) to make the car drivable all year and you guys expect for a sub to do a better job in that short amount of time?

C'mon guys... this topic will get it's true meaning...
just wait a week :D

Paul was always a visionary man
always one step ahead the rest of us :D

safi hellie

@Simberia
I think they over played the neck thing too.
Look at Albon he looks like a 12 year old girl (not sexist, i am a girl) yet he can drive these cars without much trouble.

Last year some drivers (including Lewis) were saying modern F1 is too easy, hence why the kids can do it..

So why the drama about Hulks neck?

The bloke won Le Mans (whilst still an F1 driver!) before Alonso made it fashionable...and no one remembers it! (or cares)

I think they over played the neck thing too.
Look at Albon he looks like a 12 year old girl (not sexist, i am a girl) yet he can drive these cars without much trouble.
Last year some drivers (including Lewis) were saying modern F1 is too easy, hence why the kids can do it..
So why the drama about Hulks neck?
The bloke won Le Mans (whilst still an F1 driver!) before Alonso made it fashionable...and no one remembers it! (or cares)
Carlos Sainz says the cars are "spectacular", let me quote him:

“This year's cars are spectacular, it's difficult to explain, I have known the evolution from 2015 to 2020, which is an evolution of almost 10 seconds of time per lap.
I have been able to feel the improvements of an F1 car and how fast we go now in places like Hungary, Silverstone, Spa, Suzuka ... it is something spectacular.

Lap times are very fast. As much as past years' F1s were lighter and more responsive, what really impresses inside a car is how fast you go through a corner, and what matters most is the lap time."

Neither you or I did drive them, he did.
And that... Albon "looks like a girl" part (I bet he hits like a girl too), and I'm pretty sure you referring to his face, so...
what does his face has to do with anything ? He have feminine face lines so he can't be strong - is that what you were saying ? :unsure:

am a girl
single ? :giggle:

:D

I rank them on the same level. I have nothing against Barrichello but if he had driven for the same teams as Hulkenberg, he would have a similar record.
Barrichello is a very fast driver, but too inconstant... Nico is only inconstant. He is not bad as Di Cesaris... but is not F1 material.

I think for a last minute deal, he did great job of putting the car near the points in qualifying. It's a shame that a bolt screwed his race and hurt the team by missing out on points, because i believe he would've scored at least a point. If everyhting turns out fine for this weekend hopefully we can see him doing well.

I hope he gets a seat back in F1 for 2021. But sadly it seems unlikely to happen.

Alex Townsend

Premium
You're joking right ? I mean...
why comparing Hulk with Ricciardo now ? :cautious:
Isn't Lance Stroll his team mate ?
ohh... I see what you did there :x3:
nice moves.

Or you simply getting old :D
I am definitely getting old, of that there is no doubt... ;)

But I meant that Nico was racing for Renault until booted out for Ocon, I just wonder, with Danny Ric finishing in 4th, what could Nico have done with more experience in that car than Ocon.

Lance Stroll had a nightmare at the BGP, which begs the question, if Nico is better at setting up the car, could he have had a strong result and even gotten that elusive podium?

I am definitely getting old, of that there is no doubt... ;)

But I meant that Nico was racing for Renault until booted out for Ocon, I just wonder, with Danny Ric finishing in 4th, what could Nico have done with more experience in that car than Ocon.

Lance Stroll had a nightmare at the BGP, which begs the question, if Nico is better at setting up the car, could he have had a strong result and even gotten that elusive podium?

Oh what could've been for the Hulk.

I really, really wanted to see what he could have done compared to Lance over the two races.
I figured having not sat in and been familiar with this F1 car for a while, he'd be a bit behind first race.
I was really looking forward to the second outing to see any progress.
Sadly now, that second outing will probably be his last in the car before Checo returns.

Just back in, in another car then he is ued to, and fast as Stroll.
And DOTD, if F1 did not assigned Hulkenberg into Hamilton votes, to save their own *ss.

he is just a middle driver nothin special,if u compare with teammate Lance which another joke about f1 drivers ...well enuff said

I think Nico is a tricky one to properly assess. His junior career was comparable with the very best and he immediately looked classy in the Williams. However, from there, he seemed to slip back into the merely very good but not generational talent category, in that he generally matched or beat his teammates but not by enough to make everyone stop and take notice.

He also wasn't helped with the bulk of his career being handicapped through a lack of minimum driver weights as Felipe Massa kept vetoing that introduction. Allowing for this you could argue he had an even greater edge over his teammates than was visible on track.

However I was very surprised that Ricciardo matched and then started to beat him so quickly and easily, and we never really got to find out if that was a quirk of last year's Renault or an indication that Danny Ricc simply had more ability. Reliability issues for both also made a straight comparison harder. Personally, I rate DR highly given he pretty much matched, and occasionally beat Max at Red Bull and we know Red Bull tend to subconsciously (or overtly in the case of Dr Marko) favour one driver when it comes to development of the car and allocation of resources. Getting marginally beaten by DR is no disgrace and by extension I'm very interested to see how close Ocon and Norris get to him in comparison.

Back to Nico. He is clearly world-class, and I'd rate him at a similar level to Perez & Sainz as a very solid, very fast driver who deserves a seat on merit. I'm not sure his ceiling is as high as the absolute best but I'd fancy him to beat at least half the grid over the course of a season in equal machinery. I hope this weekend gets him in position for at least a Hass drive next year.