F1 moving towards 1000bhp for 2017?

Nigel Mansell.jpg

The F1 Strategy Group has discussed increasing the cars’ power output to 1000bhp by 2017.

Although Marussia’s attempt to race in 2015 getting blocked was the biggest story coming out of yesterday’s meeting in Paris, Autosport reports that there was support for changing the technical regulations over 2016 and into 2017 to try and improve the spectacle. Higher engine power through less conservative fuel allowances, more downforce, and wider rear tyres are all being considered to try and take the sport back to its more outrageous turbocharged era in the 1980s, which had all three of these and is looked on fondly by fans as a classic period. The cars' aesthetics are also being considered, after a couple of years of awkward-looking, much-mocked nose designs.

It is understood that no firm plans were made at the meeting, but that the rule changes would need more time to work out a cost-effective solution. A source told Autosport that “what might come in for 2016 are the wider rear tyres and the amendments to bodywork to suit that.” Hopes are that the plans will be advanced enough by the next F1 Commission meeting on February 18th so that revised rules can be implemented for the 2016 season.

All well and good, but, why not have closed cockpits while they are at it?

Safety should be more important than anything else.

I mean I am for F1 being the top class of motorsport and what not, but, still, don't lose sight of driver safety.

This is a dream come true......if it ever happens. However, F1 is a sport in crisis and this is needed to bring the sport back to what us, the paying spectators and fans, want. 2014 was the first time in 30 years I never attended an F1 GP. My first GP was Silverstone in 1987 and i was hooked. The sound, the smell, wow!. However, the engine revs got higher and higher throughout the years into that ear shattering sound which sadly F1 has lost. I always remember when they changed gear and you get that 'boom' which shook your chest. We need those days back.

Whilst good for the spectacle, makes the efforts of the 2014 engine changes completely redundant and pointless!
No as they already agreed on staying with the current system. (V6 Turbo + MGU H/K)
They will only remove the fuel flow limit as well as go higher on the revs.

Ferrari proposed switching to V8 Bi-Turbo engines but then realized that having to design and develop a whole new engine AGAIN would probably ruin more teams or even hinder new ones in joining.

Indeed and that's a fantastic thing. Bring back the brutal powerrrrrrrr :thumbsup:
One does not exclude the other. Mercedes and Honda said they could reach well over 1000hp without much effort if the fuel flow and rev limit were to go. ;)

McLaren and Williams also presented their concepts for better looking cars (they used the term "agressive") but the teams could not (yet) decide. For the 2017 season they still have time through July though. Everything after that would have to be unanimous.

I just wish we the fans could also take a peak at what they've come up with... :unsure:

Last edited:
No as they already agreed on staying with the current system. (V6 Turbo + MGU H/K)
They will only remove the fuel flow limit as well as go higher on the revs.

Ferrari proposed switching to V8 Bi-Turbo engines but then realized that having to design and develop a whole new engine AGAIN would probably ruin more teams or even hinder new ones in joining.

One does not exclude the other. Mercedes and Honda said they could reach well over 1000hp without much effort if the fuel flow and rev limit were to go. ;)

McLaren and Williams also presented their concepts for better looking cars (they used the term "agressive") but the teams could not (yet) decide. For the 2017 season they still have time through July though. Everything after that would have to be unanimous.

I just wish we the fans could also take a peak at what they've come up with... :unsure:

It's not about horsepower. It's not about revs. It's not about fuel flow. And really it's not about tweaking these pitiful engines either. It's about old school, raw, unadulterated V8 or above POWER, which equals mind numbing sound and conveys a sense that these ARE really the strongest beasts in the world. Race fans are like that, you see. If you want techie stuff, go watch e-racing. It's actually quite good, IMO. But F1 has virtually killed the golden goose here. Bernie was right...for once.

Many of you may not be old enough to remember when many of the best drivers (you have heard of Mansell, no?) wanted to come to IndyCar. It's more of a test of driver skill instead of fuel management and the atmosphere is not as formal or rabid with media leeches. Well, IndyCar is getting back to that after a brutal split and fight. F1 does not have a monopoly on this "best in the world" tag, even though the past couple of decades have been very good for them.

FIA WEC is catching up fast as the series where at LMP1's can still innovate and differentiate, creating a set of unique cars and teams.

I don't buy it that F1 is without money, as sponsorship deals have never been that high and when you hear Vettel's salary at Ferrari, you don't have to feel sorry him or the team either :)

Hopefully F1 can clean up the Marussia's, HRT's, Caterham's, Tilke's and Force India's of this world as it are those teams that are holding F1 back with their requests for lower budgets and costs. If that means that the entire F1 grid consists of Ferrari's, McLaren's, Red Bull's and William's, fine so be it :)

Unlimited testing, unlimited budgets, less regulations, original racing circuits and within a few years you'll have a hell of a series again.

All well and good, but, why not have closed cockpits while they are at it?

Could not disagree more with your point of view. Shall we ban rock climbing (free climbing) incase they fall and get hurt or die? How about banning motorcycling eh? That's very dangerous. Nope, there are too many do gooders and liberals and health and safety nutjobs ruining our world. We don't need any more. In my opinion that is.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 92 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 68 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 73 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.2%
  • < 5 years